Old 12-03-2009, 04:58 PM
"Luis R. Rodriguez"

Default new pci id for atheros - ar9287

Just a heads up, ath9k on 2.6.32 added support for ar9287, just added
the PCI ID to pciids.sf.net, on Karmic this means 9.10 won't support
this device unless users use lbm. Not sure if you guys want to pick up
a patch for the PCI ID at least for karmic though.

Luis

Old 12-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Leann Ogasawara

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 09:58 -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> Just a heads up, ath9k on 2.6.32 added support for ar9287, just added
> the PCI ID to pciids.sf.net, on Karmic this means 9.10 won't support
> this device unless users use lbm. Not sure if you guys want to pick up
> a patch for the PCI ID at least for karmic though.

Hi Luis,

If the patch were to go into upstream 2.6.31.y stable we'll get the
patch automatically when we rebase Karmic with upstream stable.

Thanks,
Leann

Old 12-03-2009, 06:32 PM
"Luis R. Rodriguez"

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Leann Ogasawara
<leann.ogasawara@canonical.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 09:58 -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> Just a heads up, ath9k on 2.6.32 added support for ar9287, just added
>> the PCI ID to pciids.sf.net, on Karmic this means 9.10 won't support
>> this device unless users use lbm. Not sure if you guys want to pick up
>> a patch for the PCI ID at least for karmic though.
>
> Hi Luis,
>
> If the patch were to go into upstream 2.6.31.y stable we'll get the
> patch automatically when we rebase Karmic with upstream stable.

OK -- I wasn't sure if stable kernels get pciids.sf.net *new* updates.
Greg do they?

Luis

Old 12-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Stefan Bader

Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 09:58 -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> Just a heads up, ath9k on 2.6.32 added support for ar9287, just added
>> the PCI ID to pciids.sf.net, on Karmic this means 9.10 won't support
>> this device unless users use lbm. Not sure if you guys want to pick up
>> a patch for the PCI ID at least for karmic though.
>
> Hi Luis,
>
> If the patch were to go into upstream 2.6.31.y stable we'll get the
> patch automatically when we rebase Karmic with upstream stable.
>
> Thanks,
> Leann

Right, though there likely is not really much time left, now that 2.6.32
is out. I see 2.6.31.7 preparations and would think this is the last release.

-Stefan

Old 12-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Greg KH

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 11:32:26AM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Leann Ogasawara
> <leann.ogasawara@canonical.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 09:58 -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> >> Just a heads up, ath9k on 2.6.32 added support for ar9287, just added
> >> the PCI ID to pciids.sf.net, on Karmic this means 9.10 won't support
> >> this device unless users use lbm. Not sure if you guys want to pick up
> >> a patch for the PCI ID at least for karmic though.
> >
> > Hi Luis,
> >
> > If the patch were to go into upstream 2.6.31.y stable we'll get the
> > patch automatically when we rebase Karmic with upstream stable.
>
> OK -- I wasn't sure if stable kernels get pciids.sf.net *new* updates.
> Greg do they?

The kernel doesn't care about pci.ids, there is no such file within it.
That is in the pciutils package.

The kernel does have the include/linux/pci_ids.h file, but the kernel
developers don't really want any new additions to that file unless it is
absolutely necessary, see the top of the file for the rules.

thanks,

greg k-h

Old 12-04-2009, 12:07 AM
"Luis R. Rodriguez"

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 11:32:26AM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Leann Ogasawara
>> <leann.ogasawara@canonical.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Luis,
>> >
>> > If the patch were to go into upstream 2.6.31.y stable we'll get the
>> > patch automatically when we rebase Karmic with upstream stable.
>>
>> OK -- I wasn't sure if stable kernels get pciids.sf.net *new* updates.
>> Greg do they?
>
> The kernel doesn't care about pci.ids, there is no such file within it.
> That is in the pciutils package.
>
> The kernel does have the include/linux/pci_ids.h file, but the kernel
> developers don't really want any new additions to that file unless it is
> absolutely necessary, see the top of the file for the rules.

Makes sense -- this should just be moved to userspace.

I still think its good to have this up to date on systems on distributions.

Luis