-   -   New kernel 2.6.32-3.3 uploaded (ABI bump) (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/278128-new-kernel-2-6-32-3-3-uploaded-abi-bump.html)

Andy Whitcroft 11-10-2009 02:30 PM

New kernel 2.6.32-3.3 uploaded (ABI bump)

Now that the compilers are working again (yay!) a new Lucid kernel has
been uploaded. This rebases the Ubuntu kernel to 2.6.32-rc6. Note the
ABI bump.

https://www.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/2.6.32-3.3

-apw

"Luis R. Rodriguez" 11-10-2009 09:40 PM

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Andy Whitcroft <apw@canonical.com> wrote:
> Now that the compilers are working again (yay!) a new Lucid kernel has
> been uploaded. *This rebases the Ubuntu kernel to 2.6.32-rc6. *Note the
> ABI bump.
>
> https://www.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/2.6.32-3.3

Very nice Andy :)

If you are like me and just need to test 2.6.32-rc6 on an x86 box here
is the one deb file you'll need:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/2.6.32-3.3/+build/1339939/+files/linux-image-2.6.32-3-386_2.6.32-3.3_i386.deb

Luis

"Luis R. Rodriguez" 11-10-2009 09:40 PM

"Luis R. Rodriguez" 11-11-2009 04:54 PM

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Andy Whitcroft <apw@canonical.com> wrote:
>> Now that the compilers are working again (yay!) a new Lucid kernel has
>> been uploaded. *This rebases the Ubuntu kernel to 2.6.32-rc6. *Note the
>> ABI bump.
>>
>> https://www.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/2.6.32-3.3
>
> Very nice Andy :)
>
> If you are like me and just need to test 2.6.32-rc6 on an x86 box here
> is the one deb file you'll need:
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/2.6.32-3.3/+build/1339939/+files/linux-image-2.6.32-3-386_2.6.32-3.3_i386.deb

BTW how long does it take the build machine to build this?

And is do you guys lurk on an IRC channel?

Luis

"Luis R. Rodriguez" 11-11-2009 05:25 PM

New kernel 2.6.32-3.3 uploaded (ABI bump)

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Andy Whitcroft <apw@canonical.com> wrote:
>> Now that the compilers are working again (yay!) a new Lucid kernel has
>> been uploaded. *This rebases the Ubuntu kernel to 2.6.32-rc6. *Note the
>> ABI bump.
>>
>> https://www.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/2.6.32-3.3
>
> Very nice Andy :)
>
> If you are like me and just need to test 2.6.32-rc6 on an x86 box here
> is the one deb file you'll need:
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/2.6.32-3.3/+build/1339939/+files/linux-image-2.6.32-3-386_2.6.32-3.3_i386.deb

And here is the amd64 one:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/2.6.32-3.3/+build/1339937/+files/linux-image-2.6.32-3-generic_2.6.32-3.3_amd64.deb

So far no luck on two laptops, one a Think pad T61, and another a
netbook pine trail.

The T61 just lingers on X, I use ion3 and configured gdm to throw me
there without logging in but it seems it never even reaches ion3. It
doesn't seem to hang but I'm also not able to get a virtual terminal
with the usual ctrl-alt-f1. Booting it as single user seems to work
though and the modules are present for things, so something iffy is up
maybe with video.

The pine trail has some oops at early boot [1] for which I was unable
to get the full trace and only the end of the trace. If its not a
config issue on this kernel (I'm building my own now) then at least I
should be able to bisect as 2.6.31 does work on it.

I'll test the amd64 on two boxes later today.

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/11/10/510

Luis

"Luis R. Rodriguez" 11-11-2009 05:30 PM

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Andy Whitcroft <apw@canonical.com> wrote:
>>> Now that the compilers are working again (yay!) a new Lucid kernel has
>>> been uploaded. *This rebases the Ubuntu kernel to 2.6.32-rc6. *Note the
>>> ABI bump.
>>>
>>> https://www.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/2.6.32-3.3
>>
>> Very nice Andy :)
>>
>> If you are like me and just need to test 2.6.32-rc6 on an x86 box here
>> is the one deb file you'll need:
>>
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/2.6.32-3.3/+build/1339939/+files/linux-image-2.6.32-3-386_2.6.32-3.3_i386.deb
>
> BTW how long does it take the build machine to build this?
>
> And is do you guys lurk on an IRC channel?

Well sow what I wanted to ask if if you can enable something like
CONFIG_BOOT_PRINTK_DELAY during development of lucid and later perhaps
remove it.

It seems getting an oops trace on a netbook during early boot proves
almost impossible unless you have a "Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Host-to-Host
Debug Device" and a usb controller [1] (seems most of them do) that
has USB debug port enabled [2], or the netbook would have a serial
port but I am not sure how many comes with these, maybe they're
hidden, I haven't seen one.

[1] http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=12083
[2] Running 'lspci -vvv | grep -i debug' would yield:

Capabilities: [44] Debug port: BAR=1 offset=00a0

Luis

"Luis R. Rodriguez" 11-12-2009 03:14 PM

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:

> The pine trail has some oops at early boot [1] for which I was unable
> to get the full trace and only the end of the trace. If its not a
> config issue on this kernel (I'm building my own now) then at least I
> should be able to bisect as 2.6.31 does work on it.
>
> [1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/11/10/510

Just wanted to note that pulling Linus' latest master branch in fixed
this issue.

Luis

"Luis R. Rodriguez" 11-12-2009 03:20 PM

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Very nice Andy :)
>>>
>>> If you are like me and just need to test 2.6.32-rc6 on an x86 box here
>>> is the one deb file you'll need:
>>>
>>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/2.6.32-3.3/+build/1339939/+files/linux-image-2.6.32-3-386_2.6.32-3.3_i386.deb
>>
>> BTW how long does it take the build machine to build this?
>>
>> And is do you guys lurk on an IRC channel?
>
> Well sow what I wanted to ask if if you can enable something like
> CONFIG_BOOT_PRINTK_DELAY during development of lucid and later perhaps
> remove it.
>
> It seems getting an oops trace on a netbook during early boot proves
> almost impossible unless you have a "Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Host-to-Host
> Debug Device" and a usb controller [1] (seems most of them do) that
> has USB debug port enabled [2], or the netbook would have a serial
> port but I am not sure how many comes with these, maybe they're
> hidden, I haven't seen one.
>
> [1] http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=12083
> [2] Running 'lspci -vvv | grep -i debug' would yield:
>
> Capabilities: [44] Debug port: BAR=1 offset=00a0

I enabled BOOT_DELAY on my own kernel and set lpj as per the original
boot kernel's calibrated setting and enabed boot_delay=100 and was
unable to get actual delays between prinks, even if I did nosmp. So
this proved not useful anyway.

Luis

Andy Whitcroft 11-13-2009 12:41 PM

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 09:54:26AM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Andy Whitcroft <apw@canonical.com> wrote:
> >> Now that the compilers are working again (yay!) a new Lucid kernel has
> >> been uploaded. *This rebases the Ubuntu kernel to 2.6.32-rc6. *Note the
> >> ABI bump.
> >>
> >> https://www.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/2.6.32-3.3
> >
> > Very nice Andy :)
> >
> > If you are like me and just need to test 2.6.32-rc6 on an x86 box here
> > is the one deb file you'll need:
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/2.6.32-3.3/+build/1339939/+files/linux-image-2.6.32-3-386_2.6.32-3.3_i386.deb
>
> BTW how long does it take the build machine to build this?

About 4 hours to build x86. The others are quicker as there are fewer
flavours.

> And is do you guys lurk on an IRC channel?

We are normally around on freenode #ubuntu-kernel.

-apw