Old 11-09-2009, 10:59 PM
"Luis R. Rodriguez"

Default Ubuntu 9.10 x86 USB images

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sure this is the wrong places but figure you'd know
>
> http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.10/
>
> I see no USB .img files for x86. Will the Marvell ones work?

OK the answer seems to be to use /usr/bin/usb-creator and point it to
the ISO file.

Luis

Old 11-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Tim Gardner

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm sure this is the wrong places but figure you'd know
>>
>> http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.10/
>>
>> I see no USB .img files for x86. Will the Marvell ones work?
>
> OK the answer seems to be to use /usr/bin/usb-creator and point it to
> the ISO file.
>
> Luis

I think it should be /usr/bin/usb-creator-gtk, or at least thats what it
is under Gnome.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 11-10-2009, 12:10 AM
"Luis R. Rodriguez"

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@canonical.com> wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm sure this is the wrong places but figure you'd know
>>>
>>> http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.10/
>>>
>>> I see no USB .img files for x86. Will the Marvell ones work?
>>
>> OK the answer seems to be to use /usr/bin/usb-creator and point it to
>> the ISO file.
>>
>> *Luis
>>

> I think it should be /usr/bin/usb-creator-gtk, or at least thats what it is
> under Gnome.

Thanks -- it would be useful to have this info on the release page.
Took me a while to figure this out.

Luis

Old 11-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Mario Limonciello

>>> wrote:

>>> OK the answer seems to be to use /usr/bin/usb-creator and point it to

>>> the ISO file.

>>> *Luis

>> I think it should be /usr/bin/usb-creator-gtk, or at least thats what it is

>> under Gnome.

> Thanks -- it would be useful to have this info on the release page.

> Took me a while to figure this out.

> * Luis

Steve - This feels like its worth a one liner to point out alternative

ways to burn an ISO. Who constructs this web page? Matt Nuzum?*Also, it's not clear where to get usb-creator for windows. *I thought there was supposed to be a binary posted somewhere?

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1@gmail.com

Old 11-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Tim Gardner

Old 11-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Steve Langasek

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 06:19:00PM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> >> I think it should be /usr/bin/usb-creator-gtk, or at least thats what it is
> >> under Gnome.

> > Thanks -- it would be useful to have this info on the release page.
> > Took me a while to figure this out.

> Steve - This feels like its worth a one liner to point out alternative
> ways to burn an ISO. Who constructs this web page? Matt Nuzum?

Yes, you'll need to talk to Matt Nuzum about this - or file a bug on
the ubuntu-website project, which directs to him anyway.

Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

Old 11-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Steve Langasek

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 05:30:00PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > Thanks -- it would be useful to have this info on the release page.
> > > Took me a while to figure this out.
>
> > Steve - This feels like its worth a one liner to point out alternative
> > ways to burn an ISO. Who constructs this web page? Matt Nuzum?
>
> Yes, you'll need to talk to Matt Nuzum about this - or file a bug on
> the ubuntu-website project, which directs to him anyway.

Whoops, sorry, reading too fast - no, releases.ubuntu.com is under the
control of the release team.

But releases.ubuntu.com/9.10 already includes a link to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Mobile/HowTo/ImageWriting - does that not
cover this issue?

Old 11-10-2009, 01:45 AM
"Luis R. Rodriguez"

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Steve Langasek
<steve.langasek@canonical.com> wrote:

>> > Steve - This feels like its worth a one liner to point out alternative
>> > ways to burn an ISO. Who constructs this web page? Matt Nuzum?
>>
>> Yes, you'll need to talk to Matt Nuzum about this - or file a bug on
>> the ubuntu-website project, which directs to him anyway.
>
> Whoops, sorry, reading too fast - no, releases.ubuntu.com is under the
> control of the release team.
>
> But releases.ubuntu.com/9.10 already includes a link to
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Mobile/HowTo/ImageWriting - does that not
> cover this issue?

No, that guide is for basically dd'ing img files to your flash drive
and its not that up to date. The current method for creating USB
images is you do it yourself based on the ISO file you must download.
There are no img files for x86 or x86_64, they only exist for some
Marvell and some Arm platform of some sorts.

It would be good to explain what those images are for exactly, which
is also not clearly stated on the releases page.

Luis