Old 10-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Stefan Bader

Default Intel USB client driver situation

mail654@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi Kernel team,
>
> I use Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 LTS on a Intel Atom based device
> with the LPIA port from ports.ubuntu.com.
>
> There is the Intel USB client driver (IUSBC) included in the Ubuntu Linux
> kernel 2.6.24 as patch "0017-poulsbo_USBC.patch".
>
> Because the driver is a bit outdated (2.0.0), I asked Intel for a newer
> one (currently 2.3.0), but got the answer, than usually they provide
> this driver to OS vendors only.
>
> My questions are:
> Could you please update the driver to the latest one in kernel 2.6.24?

Generic driver updates are not usually done, even in a LTS release, as updates
there need careful review and SRU policy limits those for that reason.

> If not, because Hardy is stable, could you please ask Intel for updated driver and provide it separately?

You might get a much improved experience by trying to go to more recent release.
And going with that you actually could go towards running a generic i386 arch
instead of lpia (which is actually the same codewise). The poulsbo driver was
dropped from the kernel code after Hardy as it turned out to be such a maintenance
burden to run with.

Instread the ubuntu-modible team maintains a PPA at

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mobile/+archive/ppa/+packages

In there, there is a psb-kernel-source package which contains the latest
driver from Intel. You should be able to get the updated driver from
there if you really want to stay with Hardy.

> Why is this driver not included in kernels after 2.6.24 anymore?
> Could it be added to the recent kernels again?

As stated above, it is now a dkms package which makes it possible to have
the driver automatically be rebuild on kernel updates.

Cheers,
Stefan

Old 10-29-2009, 02:41 PM

Hi Ubuntu Mobile team,

I asked this question on "kernel-team" list and was pointed to your team.

I use Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 LTS on a Intel Atom based device
with the LPIA port from ports.ubuntu.com.

There is the Intel USB client driver (IUSBC) included in the Ubuntu Linux
kernel 2.6.24 as patch "0017-poulsbo_USBC.patch".

Because the driver is a bit outdated (2.0.0), I asked Intel for a newer
one (currently 2.3.0), but got the answer, than usually they provide
this driver to OS vendors only.

My questions are:
An update the driver to the latest one in kernel 2.6.24 seems
not possible, because Hardy is stable, so could you please ask
Intel for updated driver and provide it separately?

Could the Intel IUSBC driver be added to the recent kernels again?

Kind regards,

Erik