Old 10-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Jerone Young

Default Add Sentelic Finger Senseing Pad Touchpad support

SRU Justification:

Impact: On laptops with the Sentelic Finger Senseing Pad are not fully
functional the main problems are:

* The trackpad is very sensitive and there is no way to turn off
tap to click so it is easy to moving ones typing point when
entering text.
* There is no scrolling by movement down the right side as on the
Synaptics Track pad because Synaptics have patented that
feature, the taping of sensitive areas is however a good
substitute.

Laptops such as the MSI Wind are effected. A driver was accepted
upstream that addresses these issues though didn't make into 2.6.31, but
in 2.6.32 tree.
LP# 311869

Related links:
http://www.pcurtis.com/wind.htm#sentelic

Fix:
The upstream commit is here:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=fc69f4a6af49ee69475dc4217924d9e df77760e0

Also need to have turned on in kernel configuration file.

Testcase:
Sentelic Touchpads will work properly with scrolling support as well as
other features.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Stefan Bader

Jerone Young wrote:
> SRU Justification:
>
> Impact: On laptops with the Sentelic Finger Senseing Pad are not fully
> functional the main problems are:
>
> * The trackpad is very sensitive and there is no way to turn off
> tap to click so it is easy to moving ones typing point when
> entering text.
> * There is no scrolling by movement down the right side as on the
> Synaptics Track pad because Synaptics have patented that
> feature, the taping of sensitive areas is however a good
> substitute.
>
> Laptops such as the MSI Wind are effected. A driver was accepted
> upstream that addresses these issues though didn't make into 2.6.31, but
> in 2.6.32 tree.
> LP# 311869
>
> Related links:
> http://www.pcurtis.com/wind.htm#sentelic
>

> Fix:
> The upstream commit is here:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=fc69f4a6af49ee69475dc4217924d9e df77760e0
>
> Also need to have turned on in kernel configuration file.

As we need to concentrate on Lucid work harder, the SRU policy has been modified
to require upstream changes to go to upstream stable and through that back to Karmic.
There should be only very few exceptions to this. And especially as the patch you
ask for is certainly above a simple quirk. So NAK for this. People might use mainline
or Lucid kernels. You could try to submit it to upstream stable but it likely has the
problem of size.

-Stefan

Old 10-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Jerone Young

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 10:20 +0000, Stefan Bader wrote:
> Jerone Young wrote:
> > SRU Justification:
> >
> > Impact: On laptops with the Sentelic Finger Senseing Pad are not fully
> > functional the main problems are:
> >
> > * The trackpad is very sensitive and there is no way to turn off
> > tap to click so it is easy to moving ones typing point when
> > entering text.
> > * There is no scrolling by movement down the right side as on the
> > Synaptics Track pad because Synaptics have patented that
> > feature, the taping of sensitive areas is however a good
> > substitute.
> >
> > Laptops such as the MSI Wind are effected. A driver was accepted
> > upstream that addresses these issues though didn't make into 2.6.31, but
> > in 2.6.32 tree.
> > LP# 311869
> >
> > Related links:
> > http://www.pcurtis.com/wind.htm#sentelic
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=917721
> >

> > Fix:
> > The upstream commit is here:
> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=fc69f4a6af49ee69475dc4217924d9e df77760e0
> >
> > Also need to have turned on in kernel configuration file.
>
> As we need to concentrate on Lucid work harder, the SRU policy has been modified
> to require upstream changes to go to upstream stable and through that back to Karmic.
> There should be only very few exceptions to this. And especially as the patch you
> ask for is certainly above a simple quirk. So NAK for this. People might use mainline
> or Lucid kernels. You could try to submit it to upstream stable but it likely has the
> problem of size.

The link is to upstream stable. This is torvald's tree.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Stefan Bader

Jerone Young wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 10:20 +0000, Stefan Bader wrote:
>> Jerone Young wrote:
>>> SRU Justification:
>>>
>>> Impact: On laptops with the Sentelic Finger Senseing Pad are not fully
>>> functional the main problems are:
>>>
>>> * The trackpad is very sensitive and there is no way to turn off
>>> tap to click so it is easy to moving ones typing point when
>>> entering text.
>>> * There is no scrolling by movement down the right side as on the
>>> Synaptics Track pad because Synaptics have patented that
>>> feature, the taping of sensitive areas is however a good
>>> substitute.
>>>
>>> Laptops such as the MSI Wind are effected. A driver was accepted
>>> upstream that addresses these issues though didn't make into 2.6.31, but
>>> in 2.6.32 tree.
>>> LP# 311869
>>>
>>> Related links:
>>> http://www.pcurtis.com/wind.htm#sentelic
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=917721
>>>

>>> Fix:
>>> The upstream commit is here:
>>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=fc69f4a6af49ee69475dc4217924d9e df77760e0
>>>
>>> Also need to have turned on in kernel configuration file.
>> As we need to concentrate on Lucid work harder, the SRU policy has been modified
>> to require upstream changes to go to upstream stable and through that back to Karmic.
>> There should be only very few exceptions to this. And especially as the patch you
>> ask for is certainly above a simple quirk. So NAK for this. People might use mainline
>> or Lucid kernels. You could try to submit it to upstream stable but it likely has the
>> problem of size.
>
> The link is to upstream stable. This is torvald's tree.

Linus tree is upstream and certainly not stable. Greg maintains the 2.6.31.y stable
tree.

-Stefan