Old 10-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Leann Ogasawara

Default SRU: Update to 2.6.31.5 stable kernel

Hi All,

I realize that Karmic isn't quite out the door just yet, but I wanted to
get our first Karmic SRU in order. Note, updating to 2.6.31.5 will also
result in an ABI Bump.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/linux/+bug/461556

I've pushed these to a stable branch in my tree for review:

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ogasawara/ubuntu-karmic stable

SRU Justification/Impact: The upstream process for stable tree updates
is quite similar in scope to the Ubuntu SRU process, e.g., each patch
has to demonstrably fix a bug, and each patch is vetted by upstream by
originating either directly from Linus' tree or in a minimally
backported form of that patch. The 2.6.31.5 upstream stable patch set is
now available. It should be included in the Ubuntu kernel as well.

http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.31.5
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/patch-2.6.31.5.bz2

The 2.6.31.5 Upstream Stable Kernel brings in the following 47 patches:

* SCSI: Retry ADD_TO_MLQUEUE return value for EH commands
* SCSI: Fix protection scsi_data_buffer leak
* SCSI: sg: Free data buffers after calling blk_rq_unmap_user
* ARM: pxa: workaround errata #37 by not using half turbo switching
* tracing/filters: Fix memory leak when setting a filter
* x86/paravirt: Use normal calling sequences for irq enable/disable
* USB: ftdi_sio: remove tty->low_latency
* USB: ftdi_sio: remove unused rx_byte counter
* USB: ftdi_sio: clean up read completion handler
* USB: ftdi_sio: re-implement read processing
* USB: pl2303: fix error characters not being reported to ldisc
* USB: digi_acceleport: Fix broken unthrottle.
* USB: serial: don't call release without attach
* USB: option: Toshiba G450 device id
* USB: ipaq: fix oops when device is plugged in
* USB: cp210x: Add support for the DW700 UART
* USB: Fix throttling in generic usbserial driver
* USB: storage: When a device returns no sense data, call it a Hardware Error
* arm, cris, mips, sparc, powerpc, um, xtensa: fix build with bash 4.0
* intel-iommu: Cope with broken HP DC7900 BIOS
* futex: Detect mismatched requeue targets
* futex: Fix wakeup race by setting TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE before queue_me()
* tpm-fixup-pcrs-sysfs-file-update
* TPM: fix pcrread
* Bluetooth: Disconnect HIDRAW devices on disconnect
* Bluetooth: Add extra device reference counting for connections
* Bluetooth: Let HIDP grab the device reference for connections
* connector: Keep the skb in cn_callback_data
* connector: Provide the sender's credentials to the callback
* connector: Removed the destruct_data callback since it is always kfree_skb()
* dm/connector: Only process connector packages from privileged processes
* dst/connector: Disallow unpliviged users to configure dst
* pohmelfs/connector: Disallow unpliviged users to configure pohmelfs
* uvesafb/connector: Disallow unpliviged users to send netlink packets
* e1000e: swap max hw supported frame size between 82574 and 82583
* MAINTAINERS: Fix Riku Voipio's address
* macintosh: Don't assume i2c device probing always succeeds
* i2c: Hide probe errors caused by ACPI resource conflicts
* ALSA: Don't assume i2c device probing always succeeds
* bsdacct: switch credentials for writing to the accounting file
* sysfs: Allow sysfs_notify_dirent to be called from interrupt context.
* Staging: rt2860sta: prevent a panic when disabling when associated
* usb-storage: Workaround devices with bogus sense size
* iwlwifi: incorrect method used for finding valid OTP blocks
* mac80211: fix vlan and optimise RX
* tty: Make flush_to_ldisc() locking more robust
* Linux 2.6.31.5

Fixes LP Bug 404626:
Staging: rt2860sta: prevent a panic when disabling when associated

Fixes LP Bug 446146:
usb-storage: Workaround devices with bogus sense size

Fixes LP Bug 445572:
e1000e: swap max hw supported frame size between 82574 and 82583

Old 10-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Stefan Bader

Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> [...]
> * i2c: Hide probe errors caused by ACPI resource conflicts
> * ALSA: Don't assume i2c device probing always succeeds
> * bsdacct: switch credentials for writing to the accounting file
> * sysfs: Allow sysfs_notify_dirent to be called from interrupt context.
> * Staging: rt2860sta: prevent a panic when disabling when associated
> * usb-storage: Workaround devices with bogus sense size
> * iwlwifi: incorrect method used for finding valid OTP blocks
> * mac80211: fix vlan and optimise RX
> * tty: Make flush_to_ldisc() locking more robust
> * Linux 2.6.31.5
>
> Fixes LP Bug 404626:
> Staging: rt2860sta: prevent a panic when disabling when associated
>
> Fixes LP Bug 446146:
> usb-storage: Workaround devices with bogus sense size
>
> Fixes LP Bug 445572:
> e1000e: swap max hw supported frame size between 82574 and 82583

As we seem to have gathered at least one thing that we might want to get out
of the door slightly quicker, we probably need to go for those first and then
add the stable update on top of that. Problem with the stable updates in general
is that we get them in bulk, so we need a longer timer in proposed for them.
But hopefully everything you got now just can be rebased onto the new top.

-Stefan

Old 10-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Leann Ogasawara

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 17:19 +0000, Stefan Bader wrote:
> Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I realize that Karmic isn't quite out the door just yet, but I wanted to
> > get our first Karmic SRU in order. Note, updating to 2.6.31.5 will also
> > result in an ABI Bump.
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/linux/+bug/461556
[snip]
> As we seem to have gathered at least one thing that we might want to get out
> of the door slightly quicker, we probably need to go for those first and then
> add the stable update on top of that. Problem with the stable updates in general
> is that we get them in bulk, so we need a longer timer in proposed for them.
> But hopefully everything you got now just can be rebased onto the new top.

Ack. I assume the patches you're referring to that need to get out
quicker are:

* UBUNTU: SAUCE: [x86] fix report of cs-limit nx-emulation
* UBUNTU: [Upstream] (drop after 2.6.31) usb-storage: Workaround
devices with bogus sense size
* UBUNTU: [Upstream] (drop after 2.6.31) Input: synaptics - add
another Protege M300 to rate blacklist

Since these are already in the current Karmic tree, want to me get the
build ready for you to sign off on and upload or did you want to do
this?

I can then easily rebase the stable patch set on top of this.

Thanks,
Leann

Old 11-04-2009, 03:24 AM
Leann Ogasawara

> [...]
> > * i2c: Hide probe errors caused by ACPI resource conflicts
> > * ALSA: Don't assume i2c device probing always succeeds
> > * bsdacct: switch credentials for writing to the accounting file
> > * sysfs: Allow sysfs_notify_dirent to be called from interrupt context.
> > * Staging: rt2860sta: prevent a panic when disabling when associated
> > * usb-storage: Workaround devices with bogus sense size
> > * iwlwifi: incorrect method used for finding valid OTP blocks
> > * mac80211: fix vlan and optimise RX
> > * tty: Make flush_to_ldisc() locking more robust
> > * Linux 2.6.31.5
> >
> > Fixes LP Bug 404626:
> > Staging: rt2860sta: prevent a panic when disabling when associated
> >
> > Fixes LP Bug 446146:
> > usb-storage: Workaround devices with bogus sense size
> >
> > Fixes LP Bug 445572:
> > e1000e: swap max hw supported frame size between 82574 and 82583

Fixes LP Bug 400652:
USB: storage: When a device returns no sense data, call it a Hardware
Error

> As we seem to have gathered at least one thing that we might want to get out
> of the door slightly quicker, we probably need to go for those first and then
> add the stable update on top of that. Problem with the stable updates in general
> is that we get them in bulk, so we need a longer timer in proposed for them.
> But hopefully everything you got now just can be rebased onto the new top.

I have rebased the 2.6.31.5 stable patch set onto the new head and have
repushed the patches to the stable branch in my repo for review:

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ogasawara/ubuntu-karmic stable

Stefan, I will get in touch with you tomorrow about uploading a
pre-proposed test package.

Thanks,
Leann

Old 11-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Stefan Bader

Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 17:19 +0000, Stefan Bader wrote:
>> Leann Ogasawara wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I realize that Karmic isn't quite out the door just yet, but I wanted to
>>> get our first Karmic SRU in order. Note, updating to 2.6.31.5 will also
>>> result in an ABI Bump.
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/linux/+bug/461556
>>>
>>> I've pushed these to a stable branch in my tree for review:
>>>
>>> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ogasawara/ubuntu-karmic stable
>>>
>>> SRU Justification/Impact: The upstream process for stable tree updates
>>> is quite similar in scope to the Ubuntu SRU process, e.g., each patch
>>> has to demonstrably fix a bug, and each patch is vetted by upstream by
>>> originating either directly from Linus' tree or in a minimally
>>> backported form of that patch. The 2.6.31.5 upstream stable patch set is
>>> now available. It should be included in the Ubuntu kernel as well.
>>>
>>> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.31.5
>>> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/patch-2.6.31.5.bz2
>>>
>>> The 2.6.31.5 Upstream Stable Kernel brings in the following 47 patches:
>>>
>>> * SCSI: Retry ADD_TO_MLQUEUE return value for EH commands
>>> * SCSI: Fix protection scsi_data_buffer leak
>>> * SCSI: sg: Free data buffers after calling blk_rq_unmap_user
>>> * ARM: pxa: workaround errata #37 by not using half turbo switching
>>> * tracing/filters: Fix memory leak when setting a filter
>>> * x86/paravirt: Use normal calling sequences for irq enable/disable
>>> * USB: ftdi_sio: remove tty->low_latency
>>> * USB: ftdi_sio: remove unused rx_byte counter
>>> * USB: ftdi_sio: clean up read completion handler
>>> * USB: ftdi_sio: re-implement read processing

A rather large change but reading the description it seems to address
quite a few problems. And we know usb serial has not been in its best
state in 2.6.31. Seems one of the things to require an ABI change.

>>> * USB: pl2303: fix error characters not being reported to ldisc
>>> * USB: digi_acceleport: Fix broken unthrottle.
>>> * USB: serial: don't call release without attach
>>> * USB: option: Toshiba G450 device id
>>> * USB: ipaq: fix oops when device is plugged in
>>> * USB: cp210x: Add support for the DW700 UART
>>> * USB: Fix throttling in generic usbserial driver
>>> * USB: storage: When a device returns no sense data, call it a Hardware Error
>>> * arm, cris, mips, sparc, powerpc, um, xtensa: fix build with bash 4.0

One of the bigger ones, but as it changes the build environment and not the
code itself it would be expected to cause build failures if wrong.

>>> * intel-iommu: Cope with broken HP DC7900 BIOS
>>> * futex: Detect mismatched requeue targets
>>> * futex: Fix wakeup race by setting TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE before queue_me()
>>> * tpm-fixup-pcrs-sysfs-file-update
>>> * TPM: fix pcrread
>>> * Bluetooth: Disconnect HIDRAW devices on disconnect
>>> * Bluetooth: Add extra device reference counting for connections
>>> * Bluetooth: Let HIDP grab the device reference for connections
>>> * connector: Keep the skb in cn_callback_data
>>> * connector: Provide the sender's credentials to the callback

Another one that causes the ABI to bump. All changes to functions to
pass additional information. It does not say much about the reasons but
additionally passing some caller's credentials sounds a bit like security.

>>> * connector: Removed the destruct_data callback since it is always kfree_skb()
>>> * dm/connector: Only process connector packages from privileged processes
>>> * dst/connector: Disallow unpliviged users to configure dst
>>> * pohmelfs/connector: Disallow unpliviged users to configure pohmelfs
>>> * uvesafb/connector: Disallow unpliviged users to send netlink packets
>>> * e1000e: swap max hw supported frame size between 82574 and 82583
>>> * MAINTAINERS: Fix Riku Voipio's address
>>> * macintosh: Don't assume i2c device probing always succeeds
>>> * i2c: Hide probe errors caused by ACPI resource conflicts
>>> * ALSA: Don't assume i2c device probing always succeeds
>>> * bsdacct: switch credentials for writing to the accounting file
>>> * sysfs: Allow sysfs_notify_dirent to be called from interrupt context.
>>> * Staging: rt2860sta: prevent a panic when disabling when associated
>>> * usb-storage: Workaround devices with bogus sense size
>>> * iwlwifi: incorrect method used for finding valid OTP blocks
>>> * mac80211: fix vlan and optimise RX
>>> * tty: Make flush_to_ldisc() locking more robust
>>> * Linux 2.6.31.5
>>>
>>> Fixes LP Bug 404626:
>>> Staging: rt2860sta: prevent a panic when disabling when associated
>>>
>>> Fixes LP Bug 446146:
>>> usb-storage: Workaround devices with bogus sense size
>>>
>>> Fixes LP Bug 445572:
>>> e1000e: swap max hw supported frame size between 82574 and 82583
>>>

> Fixes LP Bug 400652:
> USB: storage: When a device returns no sense data, call it a Hardware
> Error
>
>> As we seem to have gathered at least one thing that we might want to get out
>> of the door slightly quicker, we probably need to go for those first and then
>> add the stable update on top of that. Problem with the stable updates in general
>> is that we get them in bulk, so we need a longer timer in proposed for them.
>> But hopefully everything you got now just can be rebased onto the new top.
>
> I have rebased the 2.6.31.5 stable patch set onto the new head and have
> repushed the patches to the stable branch in my repo for review:
>
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ogasawara/ubuntu-karmic stable

When looking through those I did not catch anything bad. I had a
closer look at the three which were bigger than the usual and added
some comments above.

Acked-by: Stefan Bader <stefan.bader@canonical>

> Stefan, I will get in touch with you tomorrow about uploading a
> pre-proposed test package.

I tweaked the headers a bit (mainly adding a buglink to the common tracking
bug for all of those) and sent the result to my PPA[1]. For the final take I'd
also add Ack lines to them.

I would suggest that at least us in the kernel team, that run karmic add this
to their apt lines. So we might find out ourselves when we break important
things. This maybe needs a bit more rubbing in on UDS as I am not sure how
well mails like this are read.

One more thing, I updated the maint-modify-patch script, as it failed in some
cases, and added it to the maint-tools repo[2].

Cheers,
Stefan

> Thanks,
> Leann

[1] https://launchpad.net/~stefan-bader-canonical/+archive/karmic
[2] git://kernel.ubuntu.com/smb/maint-tools.git

Old 11-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Andy Whitcroft

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 08:24:09PM -0800, Leann Ogasawara wrote:

> > > The 2.6.31.5 Upstream Stable Kernel brings in the following 47 patches:

Overall these looks sane. There are two which are not obviously required,
the maintaners update and the pax update as neither contributes to any
of our builds; that said we lose nothing by taking them and staying in
sync with stable at this stage is likely worthwhile.

The most worrying appear to be the almost complete rewrite of USB ftdi_sio,
but this is only for one device manufacturer and seems to fix a number
of regressions which would render the device unsusable already.

So overall, details below:

Acked-by: Andy Whitcroft <apw@canonical.com>

-apw

UBUNTU: [Config] Move position of CONFIG_LIRC_ENE0100 for ports configs

Benign change, not sure how the config system ended up with this out
of order in the first place. It would also trigger build issues if
broken so is very low risk.

Linux 2.6.31.5

Benign. Sensible for tracking.

tty: Make flush_to_ldisc() locking more robust

A large looking patch but in essence relativly simple moving to atomic
test_and_set to ensure only one thread can set and unset TTY_FLUSHING.

mac80211: fix vlan and optimise RX

Patch sounds like it does a sane thing, fixinf VLAN handling which
would affect server installs.

iwlwifi: incorrect method used for finding valid OTP blocks

This one looks to do what it suggests. Seems reasonable applying to
iwl which is a common driver for working h/w.

usb-storage: Workaround devices with bogus sense size
Revert "UBUNTU: [Upstream] (drop after 2.6.31) usb-storage: Workaround d

These simply replace out existing commit with the official version.
They appear identicle.

Staging: rt2860sta: prevent a panic when disabling when associated

Looks obviously correct.

sysfs: Allow sysfs_notify_dirent to be called from interrupt context.

Fixes locking, looks sane.

bsdacct: switch credentials for writing to the accounting file

Looks reasonable.

ALSA: Don't assume i2c device probing always succeeds

Simple check for no device found, propogating the error. Looks
reasonable.

i2c: Hide probe errors caused by ACPI resource conflicts

Reduces pointless errors to users while retaining the main error.
Seems reasonable.

macintosh: Don't assume i2c device probing always succeeds

This patch moves the linkage between clients to a new head, which will
avoid the panic. Confusingly it is using a predeclaration of the
head pointers, but it is not at all obvious in C that it is a
predeclaration. Looks ok when applied.

MAINTAINERS: Fix Riku Voipio's address

Trivial maintainers change.

e1000e: swap max hw supported frame size between 82574 and 82583
Revert "e1000e: swap max hw supported frame size between 82574 and 82583

Again just an update to the mainline version of an early fix.

uvesafb/connector: Disallow unpliviged users to send netlink packets
pohmelfs/connector: Disallow unpliviged users to configure pohmelfs
dst/connector: Disallow unpliviged users to configure dst
dm/connector: Only process connector packages from privileged processes

All tighten up permissions on connectors. Seems like a sensible
security fix.

connector: Removed the destruct_data callback since it is always kfree_s
connector: Provide the sender's credentials to the callback
connector: Keep the skb in cn_callback_data

Look to be pre-requisites for the security fixes.

Bluetooth: Let HIDP grab the device reference for connections
Bluetooth: Add extra device reference counting for connections

Cleans up device discovery events to userspace. Seems sensible.

Bluetooth: Disconnect HIDRAW devices on disconnect

Ensures HIDRAW devices go away. Without this connect/disconnect
cycles cause these to build up and overflow X's input list. Seems
sensible.

TPM: fix pcrread
tpm-fixup-pcrs-sysfs-file-update

Fixes TPM size handling. Looks reasonable.

futex: Fix wakeup race by setting TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE before queue_me()

Fixes userspace hangs with futexes. Looks sane.

futex: Detect mismatched requeue targets

Fixes suprious wakeup queue triggers. Looks sane.

intel-iommu: Cope with broken HP DC7900 BIOS

Handles specific broken BIOS, also fixes error handling. Looks sane.

arm, cris, mips, sparc, powerpc, um, xtensa: fix build with bash 4.0

All build system fixes. Should be easy to test and fixes things on
arm. Seems sensible.

USB: storage: When a device returns no sense data, call it a Hardware Er

Fixes flat spin retrying sense on bad devices, reporting a sensible
error into the bargain. Looks good.

USB: Fix throttling in generic usbserial driver

Fixes lost packets to slow devices. Seems sane.

USB: cp210x: Add support for the DW700 UART

Simple device quirk.

USB: ipaq: fix oops when device is plugged in

Prevents oops on insert for ipaq. Looks sane.

USB: option: Toshiba G450 device id

Simple device quirk.

USB: serial: don't call release without attach

Prevents OOPS on insertion of some sick devices. Looks sane.

USB: digi_acceleport: Fix broken unthrottle.

Fixes regression. Looks sane.

USB: pl2303: fix error characters not being reported to ldisc

Fixes regression. Looks sane.

USB: ftdi_sio: re-implement read processing
USB: ftdi_sio: clean up read completion handler
USB: ftdi_sio: remove unused rx_byte counter
USB: ftdi_sio: remove tty->low_latency

A pretty large update to fix up a number of regressions. This is a
single SIO provider so low impact. Likely worth the risk.

x86/paravirt: Use normal calling sequences for irq enable/disable

Prevents boot crash with stack-protector, which we have enabled.
Looks sensible.

tracing/filters: Fix memory leak when setting a filter

Memory leak using tracing. Looks sane.

ARM: pxa: workaround errata #37 by not using half turbo switching

pxa specific. Simple quirk, no risk.

SCSI: sg: Free data buffers after calling blk_rq_unmap_user

Corrects free sequence. Looks sane.

SCSI: Fix protection scsi_data_buffer leak

Memory leak. Looks sane.

SCSI: Retry ADD_TO_MLQUEUE return value for EH commands

Ensure we retry EH commands correctly. Looks sane.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Stefan Bader

Applied and pushed