Old 03-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Brad Figg

Default LP#344370 -- Add checking for AppArmorFS creation failure.

Please pull from:
git://kernel.ubuntu.com/brad/ubuntu-jaunty master

Bug: 344370

When the creation of the AppArmor FS fails the default_namespace is
free'd. However, this was not being checked for and was being used
anyway.

UBUNTU: SAUCE: Add checking for AppArmorFS creation failure.

security/apparmor/main.c | 4 +++-

Old 03-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Tim Gardner

Brad Figg wrote:
> Please pull from:
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/brad/ubuntu-jaunty master
>
> Bug: 344370
>
> When the creation of the AppArmor FS fails the default_namespace is
> free'd. However, this was not being checked for and was being used
> anyway.
>
> UBUNTU: SAUCE: Add checking for AppArmorFS creation failure.
>
> security/apparmor/main.c | 4 +++-

Is this the root cause for AA oops'ing on ARM imx51 ?

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 03-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Brad Figg

Tim Gardner wrote:
> Brad Figg wrote:
>> Please pull from:
>> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/brad/ubuntu-jaunty master
>>
>> Bug: 344370
>>
>> When the creation of the AppArmor FS fails the default_namespace is
>> free'd. However, this was not being checked for and was being used
>> anyway.
>>
>> UBUNTU: SAUCE: Add checking for AppArmorFS creation failure.
>>
>> security/apparmor/main.c | 4 +++-
>> 1 files changed, 3 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)
>>

> Is this the root cause for AA oops'ing on ARM imx51 ?

Yes and no. This prevents the oops from happening. However, the
reason this check is necessary is that earlier on the AppArmorFS
failed to be created. The creation failed because a directory
"apparmor" could not be created in the root directory of the
"securityfs".

I believe that this is due to a platform configuration issue. However,
I'm trying to figure out what the "securityfs" is, how it gets
created and why it is missing from the imx51.

Brad

Old 03-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Tim Gardner

Brad Figg wrote:
> Tim Gardner wrote:
>> Brad Figg wrote:
>>> Please pull from:
>>> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/brad/ubuntu-jaunty master
>>>
>>> Bug: 344370
>>>
>>> When the creation of the AppArmor FS fails the default_namespace is
>>> free'd. However, this was not being checked for and was being used
>>> anyway.
>>>
>>> UBUNTU: SAUCE: Add checking for AppArmorFS creation failure.
>>>
>>> security/apparmor/main.c | 4 +++-
>>> 1 files changed, 3 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)
>>>

>> Is this the root cause for AA oops'ing on ARM imx51 ?
>>

> Yes and no. This prevents the oops from happening. However, the
> reason this check is necessary is that earlier on the AppArmorFS
> failed to be created. The creation failed because a directory
> "apparmor" could not be created in the root directory of the
> "securityfs".
>
> I believe that this is due to a platform configuration issue. However,
> I'm trying to figure out what the "securityfs" is, how it gets
> created and why it is missing from the imx51.
>
> Brad

Your best resource for finding out the answer to that question might be
Oliver.
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 03-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Brad Figg

Tim Gardner wrote:
> Brad Figg wrote:
>> Tim Gardner wrote:

>>> Is this the root cause for AA oops'ing on ARM imx51 ?
>>>

>> Yes and no. This prevents the oops from happening. However, the
>> reason this check is necessary is that earlier on the AppArmorFS
>> failed to be created. The creation failed because a directory
>> "apparmor" could not be created in the root directory of the
>> "securityfs".
>>
>> I believe that this is due to a platform configuration issue. However,
>> I'm trying to figure out what the "securityfs" is, how it gets
>> created and why it is missing from the imx51.
>>
>> Brad
>>

> Your best resource for finding out the answer to that question might be
> Oliver.

Agreed, and one of my next emails was going to be to him. Thanks for including
him on the CC list.

Brad

Old 03-24-2009, 06:05 AM
Amit Kucheria

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 05:25:30PM -0700, Brad Figg wrote:
> Tim Gardner wrote:
> > Brad Figg wrote:
> >> Please pull from:
> >> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/brad/ubuntu-jaunty master
> >>
> >> Bug: 344370
> >>
> >> When the creation of the AppArmor FS fails the default_namespace is
> >> free'd. However, this was not being checked for and was being used
> >> anyway.
> >>
> >> UBUNTU: SAUCE: Add checking for AppArmorFS creation failure.
> >>
> >> security/apparmor/main.c | 4 +++-

Could you send this AA upstream too?

> > Is this the root cause for AA oops'ing on ARM imx51 ?
> >

> Yes and no. This prevents the oops from happening. However, the
> reason this check is necessary is that earlier on the AppArmorFS
> failed to be created. The creation failed because a directory
> "apparmor" could not be created in the root directory of the
> "securityfs".
>
> I believe that this is due to a platform configuration issue. However,
> I'm trying to figure out what the "securityfs" is, how it gets
> created and why it is missing from the imx51.

securityfs is the 4th option in 'Security Options' and it is disabled for
all ARM flavours. So it would be worth a try to just enable it and see if
the oops disappears.

If so, then instead of the above patch, the solution could be to add a
'Selected by' Kconfig dependency of AA on SECURITYFS.

Regards,
Amit