Old 03-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Andy Whitcroft

Default LP#330606 -- tone down synaptics warnings

We are triggering kerneloops and potentially apport reports due to
the format of the synaptics touchpad reset messages. This message is
not really that critical so simply tone its wording and level down.
Upstream has applied this fix in a slightly different way (apply the
reset in a different way) but this late in the cycle it seems safest to
simply alter the message and leave the handling unchanged.

Proposing this for Jaunty. Note I am proposing we _do_ follow upstreams
model for Karmic and will send out another patch stack for that shortly.

-apw

Andy Whitcroft (1):
UBUNTU: SAUCE: tone down the synaptics warning to avoid triggering
kerneloops

drivers/input/mouse/synaptics.c | 2 +-

Old 03-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Andy Whitcroft

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:37:49AM +0000, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> We are triggering kerneloops and potentially apport reports due to
> the format of the synaptics touchpad reset messages. This message is
> not really that critical so simply tone its wording and level down.
> Upstream has applied this fix in a slightly different way (apply the
> reset in a different way) but this late in the cycle it seems safest to
> simply alter the message and leave the handling unchanged.
>
> Proposing this for Jaunty. Note I am proposing we _do_ follow upstreams
> model for Karmic and will send out another patch stack for that shortly.

Ok for Karmic it turns out the correct upstream commit is already in
there, but reverted by our SAUCE patch. So for Karmic we just need to
revert the commit below:

commit a119eeec8c0336a595d54223097e2a8697f5886d
UBUNTU: SAUCE: psmouse/synaptics: ensure we reset the device on resume

-apw

Old 03-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Stefan Bader

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> We are triggering kerneloops and potentially apport reports due to
> the format of the synaptics touchpad reset messages. This message is
> not really that critical so simply tone its wording and level down.
> Upstream has applied this fix in a slightly different way (apply the
> reset in a different way) but this late in the cycle it seems safest to
> simply alter the message and leave the handling unchanged.
>
> Proposing this for Jaunty. Note I am proposing we _do_ follow upstreams
> model for Karmic and will send out another patch stack for that shortly.
>
> -apw
>
> Andy Whitcroft (1):
> UBUNTU: SAUCE: tone down the synaptics warning to avoid triggering
> kerneloops
>
> drivers/input/mouse/synaptics.c | 2 +-

ACK, I thing the rational we put it in on KERN_WARNING was that it is visible
in case people have problems with it. But it is no more visible on INFO thatn
on WARNING, and the WARNInG text itself was unfortunate close to what WARN_On
prints.

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Tim Gardner

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:37:49AM +0000, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
>> We are triggering kerneloops and potentially apport reports due to
>> the format of the synaptics touchpad reset messages. This message is
>> not really that critical so simply tone its wording and level down.
>> Upstream has applied this fix in a slightly different way (apply the
>> reset in a different way) but this late in the cycle it seems safest to
>> simply alter the message and leave the handling unchanged.
>>
>> Proposing this for Jaunty. Note I am proposing we _do_ follow upstreams
>> model for Karmic and will send out another patch stack for that shortly.
>
> Ok for Karmic it turns out the correct upstream commit is already in
> there, but reverted by our SAUCE patch. So for Karmic we just need to
> revert the commit below:
>
> commit a119eeec8c0336a595d54223097e2a8697f5886d
> Author: Andy Whitcroft <apw@canonical.com>
> Date: Mon Feb 2 16:32:25 2009 +0000
>
> UBUNTU: SAUCE: psmouse/synaptics: ensure we reset the device on resume
>
> -apw

I've rebased Karmic without a119eeec8c0336a595d54223097e2a8697f5886d, so
we'll have the upstream solution.

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com