Old 02-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Stefan Bader

Default SRU: Fix an off-by-two memory error in console selection.

[no bug opened yet]

SRU justification:

Impact: Selection on a UTF-8 console can lead to memory corruption. This fix
came down throuch 2.6.27.15 but I think it is simple ad important enough to add
to Hardy as a SRU.

Fix: Change memory calculation to add the additional character before multiplying.

Testcase: When memory redzones are enabled, a redzone corruption is reported.
When they are not enabled, trashing of random memory occurs.

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Tim Gardner

Stefan Bader wrote:
> [no bug opened yet]
>
> SRU justification:
>
> Impact: Selection on a UTF-8 console can lead to memory corruption. This
> fix came down throuch 2.6.27.15 but I think it is simple ad important
> enough to add to Hardy as a SRU.
>
> Fix: Change memory calculation to add the additional character before
> multiplying.
>
> Testcase: When memory redzones are enabled, a redzone corruption is
> reported.
> When they are not enabled, trashing of random memory occurs.

ACK - It would be nice to be able to display a failure scenario. but
bugs of this type are quite subtle and random.

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com