Old 02-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Andy Whitcroft

Default LP#317270 -- fix Synaptics touchpad resume

Some systems with newer Synaptics touchpads have been exhibiting total
touchpad failure following resume on Linux, but functioning correctly on
other OSs. Serial analysis has shown that this is caused by a lack of
a device reset on resume in Linux. The following patch adds this reset
to the Synaptics driver.

It is expected that this should be safe for all Synaptics devices old and
new as the other OSs have always used this method of reset. Therefore we
enable this new functionality by default. We also provide a new module
option to disable it, and hint as to its name in the dmesg, should anyone
see issues. By enabling this now for the beta cycle we should have time
to shake out any regressions this might cause.

-apw

Andy Whitcroft (1):
UBUNTU: SAUCE: psmouse/synaptics: ensure we reset the device on
resume

drivers/input/mouse/synaptics.c | 10 ++++++++++

Old 02-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Tim Gardner

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> Some systems with newer Synaptics touchpads have been exhibiting total
> touchpad failure following resume on Linux, but functioning correctly on
> other OSs. Serial analysis has shown that this is caused by a lack of
> a device reset on resume in Linux. The following patch adds this reset
> to the Synaptics driver.
>
> It is expected that this should be safe for all Synaptics devices old and
> new as the other OSs have always used this method of reset. Therefore we
> enable this new functionality by default. We also provide a new module
> option to disable it, and hint as to its name in the dmesg, should anyone
> see issues. By enabling this now for the beta cycle we should have time
> to shake out any regressions this might cause.
>
> -apw
>
> Andy Whitcroft (1):
> UBUNTU: SAUCE: psmouse/synaptics: ensure we reset the device on
> resume
>
> drivers/input/mouse/synaptics.c | 10 ++++++++++

ACK - its a bit surprising that upstream has not encountered this issue.
Do you plan to submit this as a stable update?

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Andy Whitcroft

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 09:20:50AM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> > Some systems with newer Synaptics touchpads have been exhibiting total
> > touchpad failure following resume on Linux, but functioning correctly on
> > other OSs. Serial analysis has shown that this is caused by a lack of
> > a device reset on resume in Linux. The following patch adds this reset
> > to the Synaptics driver.
> >
> > It is expected that this should be safe for all Synaptics devices old and
> > new as the other OSs have always used this method of reset. Therefore we
> > enable this new functionality by default. We also provide a new module
> > option to disable it, and hint as to its name in the dmesg, should anyone
> > see issues. By enabling this now for the beta cycle we should have time
> > to shake out any regressions this might cause.
> >
> > -apw
> >
> > Andy Whitcroft (1):
> > UBUNTU: SAUCE: psmouse/synaptics: ensure we reset the device on
> > resume
> >
> > drivers/input/mouse/synaptics.c | 10 ++++++++++
> > 1 files changed, 10 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)
> >

> ACK - its a bit surprising that upstream has not encountered this issue.
> Do you plan to submit this as a stable update?

Yes I am supprised a little about that too. Will be pushing this
upstream for sure.

-apw