Old 02-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Andy Whitcroft

Default LP#280821 -- SMP deadlocks in serial

We have reports of SMP deadlocks occuring in the serial driver, which
exposes itself by producing serial timeouts. These should be fixed
by the two mainline commits below (copies of which follow this email).

This is fixed in mainline as included in Intrepid and later. Therefore
proposing these for SRU to Hardy, subject to testing by the bug reporter.

-apw

Anton Vorontsov (1):
serial: 8250: fix shared interrupts issues with SMP and RT kernels

Borislav Petkov (1):
8250.c: port.lock is irq-safe

drivers/serial/8250.c | 4 ++++

Old 02-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Tim Gardner

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> We have reports of SMP deadlocks occuring in the serial driver, which
> exposes itself by producing serial timeouts. These should be fixed
> by the two mainline commits below (copies of which follow this email).
>
> This is fixed in mainline as included in Intrepid and later. Therefore
> proposing these for SRU to Hardy, subject to testing by the bug reporter.
>
> -apw
>
> Anton Vorontsov (1):
> serial: 8250: fix shared interrupts issues with SMP and RT kernels
>
> Borislav Petkov (1):
> 8250.c: port.lock is irq-safe
>
> drivers/serial/8250.c | 4 ++++

ACK - I checked Dapper and Gutsy for the same issue, but they appear to
correctly use irqsave/restore.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 02-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Stefan Bader

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> We have reports of SMP deadlocks occuring in the serial driver, which
> exposes itself by producing serial timeouts. These should be fixed
> by the two mainline commits below (copies of which follow this email).
>
> This is fixed in mainline as included in Intrepid and later. Therefore
> proposing these for SRU to Hardy, subject to testing by the bug reporter.
>
> -apw
>
> Anton Vorontsov (1):
> serial: 8250: fix shared interrupts issues with SMP and RT kernels
>
> Borislav Petkov (1):
> 8250.c: port.lock is irq-safe
>
> drivers/serial/8250.c | 4 ++++

ACK, after finally realizing patch2 reverts the dagerous parts of patch1

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Andy Whitcroft

Applied to Hardy.

-apw