Old 02-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Alok Kataria

Default vmlinux file for intrepid kernel ?

Hi,

I was trying to look through my newly installed ubuntu 8.10 system for a
vmlinux file. When i couldn't find one i looked for a corresponding
debug package and didn't find that either.

The kernel that i am running is the default 8.10 kernel
2.6.27-7-server, this is a 32bit install.

The only other place where i could find debug packages were in
http://ddebs.ubuntu.com/pool/main/l/linux/
but that doesn't list a package for my kernel.

Please let me know if there is a way to get precompiled vmlinux or do I
compile one from sources.

Thanks,
Alok

p.s. : Incase, I should be asking on some other list, do let me know.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Tim Gardner

Alok Kataria wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to look through my newly installed ubuntu 8.10 system for a
> vmlinux file. When i couldn't find one i looked for a corresponding
> debug package and didn't find that either.
>
> The kernel that i am running is the default 8.10 kernel
> 2.6.27-7-server, this is a 32bit install.
>
> The only other place where i could find debug packages were in
> http://ddebs.ubuntu.com/pool/main/l/linux/
> but that doesn't list a package for my kernel.
>
> Please let me know if there is a way to get precompiled vmlinux or do I
> compile one from sources.
>
> Thanks,
> Alok
>
> p.s. : Incase, I should be asking on some other list, do let me know.

Are you looking for /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic ?

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 02-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Alok Kataria

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 04:22 -0800, Tim Gardner wrote:
> Alok Kataria wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was trying to look through my newly installed ubuntu 8.10 system for a
> > vmlinux file. When i couldn't find one i looked for a corresponding
> > debug package and didn't find that either.
> >
> > The kernel that i am running is the default 8.10 kernel
> > 2.6.27-7-server, this is a 32bit install.
> >
> > The only other place where i could find debug packages were in
> > http://ddebs.ubuntu.com/pool/main/l/linux/
> > but that doesn't list a package for my kernel.
> >
> > Please let me know if there is a way to get precompiled vmlinux or do I
> > compile one from sources.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alok
> >
> > p.s. : Incase, I should be asking on some other list, do let me know.

Hi Tim,

> Are you looking for /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic ?

No, I am looking for the corresponding vmlinux file, i need to get the
objdump of the kernel symbols for some debugging.

Though i was able to reproduce the issue on mainline later and debug it,
i would still like to know where can i find the "statically linked, not
stripped" kernel executable a.k.a vmlinux for ubuntu 8.10.

Thanks,
Alok

Old 02-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Tim Gardner

Alok Kataria wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 04:22 -0800, Tim Gardner wrote:
>> Alok Kataria wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was trying to look through my newly installed ubuntu 8.10 system for a
>>> vmlinux file. When i couldn't find one i looked for a corresponding
>>> debug package and didn't find that either.
>>>
>>> The kernel that i am running is the default 8.10 kernel
>>> 2.6.27-7-server, this is a 32bit install.
>>>
>>> The only other place where i could find debug packages were in
>>> http://ddebs.ubuntu.com/pool/main/l/linux/
>>> but that doesn't list a package for my kernel.
>>>
>>> Please let me know if there is a way to get precompiled vmlinux or do I
>>> compile one from sources.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alok
>>>
>>> p.s. : Incase, I should be asking on some other list, do let me know.
>>>

> Hi Tim,
>
>> Are you looking for /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic ?
>>

> No, I am looking for the corresponding vmlinux file, i need to get the
> objdump of the kernel symbols for some debugging.
>
> Though i was able to reproduce the issue on mainline later and debug it,
> i would still like to know where can i find the "statically linked, not
> stripped" kernel executable a.k.a vmlinux for ubuntu 8.10.
>
> Thanks,
> Alok

We don't package the unstripped kernel because it is so large. You'd
have to build it yourself and pull it from the build flavour directory.

rtg

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com