Old 01-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Tim Gardner

Default LP#74179 -- support for i386 machines with >3GB RAM

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> We are seeing increasing complaints that users are failing to be able
> to use all their RAM when installing more than 3GB of RAM when running
> the i386 kernels. This is due to the RAM being placed at greater than
> 4GB physical addresses; it is common to have RAM from 0-3GB and at 5GB
> physical when installing only 4GB. In order to access this RAM we need
> to enable PAE, but this is a non-trivial change for the common user.
> The server flavour does have PAE enabled, but is not optimised for the
> desktop and users are unwilling to use it. They should be running 64bit
> kernels but that is probabally not quite as seamless as it should be yet.
>
> Therefore I am proposing we create a new i386 only flavour generic64g
> which is identicle to the generic flavour except that it enables PAE and
> options that that requires.
>
> Following this email is a patch implementing this for Jaunty.
>
> Comments?
>
> -apw
>
> Andy Whitcroft (1):
> UBUNTU: add a i386 generic64g flavour supporting large memory systems
>
> debian/config/i386/config.generic64g | 24 +++++++++++++++
> debian/control | 54 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> debian/control.d/vars.generic64g | 6 ++++
> debian/control.stub | 54 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> debian/rules.d/i386.mk | 2 +-
> create mode 100644 debian/config/i386/config.generic64g
> create mode 100644 debian/control.d/vars.generic64g

I am not in favor of another flavor. Despite the reluctance of some
folks to use the server flavour, it _does_ solve their use case with no
effort on our part. If these users are that sensitive to the
optimization differences between generic and server, then they'll have
to run a 64 bit kernel.

My goal is to actually reduce the i386 flavours for Jaunty+1 to just
generic. Hardy should be the last LTS that supports a 32 bit server.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com