Old 01-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Ante Karamatic

Default LP#74179 -- support for i386 machines with >3GB RAM

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:51:32 +0000
Andy Whitcroft <apw@canonical.com> wrote:

> Therefore I am proposing we create a new i386 only flavour generic64g
> which is identicle to the generic flavour except that it enables PAE
> and options that that requires.
>
> Following this email is a patch implementing this for Jaunty.
>
> Comments?

I don't think people will understand what generic64g means (think of
linux-generic, linux-server and linux-generic64g; what's 64g?[1]). Sure,
they could read release notes or some how to, but naming it, for
example, generic-bigmem would be self explanatory (maybe even just
bigmem). Even linux-generic-pae would make more sense, since these days
even lots of Windows users do know that 'PAE makes all memory
available'.

[1] at first, I didn't make the connection between generic64g and 64GB
limit. I don't think it's wise to put limitations in the name of the
package

Old 01-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Ante Karamatic

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:02:27 +0000
Scott James Remnant <scott@canonical.com> wrote:

> Which CPUs, specifically?

Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension]:

PAE is provided by Intel Pentium Pro and above CPUs (including all
later Pentium-series processors except the 400 MHz bus versions of the
Pentium M), as well as by some compatible processors such as the Athlon
and later models from AMD.

IIRC, there were problems with virtualized hardware too in VirtualBox.

> Do they not boot, or just not address areas of memory?

They don't boot at all and PAE isn't something you can enable/disable
on fly, unfortunately :/