Old 01-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Jim Lieb

Default kerneloops package update.

After going over the code both upstream and in LP, it seems to me that it
would be a good idea to update our package to 0.12 (current) while we are at
it. We get the following:

1. The dmesg filter catches/filters out more stuff.

2. The new version is kinder to the system (nices itself etc.)

3. Handles larger log files better and has other performance improvements.

4. Expands the UI dialog to allow the user to see the oops before sending it.

5. General cleanup and bugfixes that are post- 0.10.

The package comes from debian universe. The only thing debian did was
package it. We added two patches, one to add apport support and the other
to do the right thing wrt dbus (per Scott's email a week or so back).

Scott's patch is trivial to fold back in and I think I can re-work Matt Z's
patch to make it more general for upstream.

Comments?

Jim
--
Jim Lieb
Ubuntu Kernel Team

Old 01-27-2009, 07:27 AM
Stefan Bader

Jim Lieb wrote:
> After going over the code both upstream and in LP, it seems to me that it
> would be a good idea to update our package to 0.12 (current) while we are at
> it. We get the following:
>
> 1. The dmesg filter catches/filters out more stuff.
>
> 2. The new version is kinder to the system (nices itself etc.)
>
> 3. Handles larger log files better and has other performance improvements.
>
> 4. Expands the UI dialog to allow the user to see the oops before sending it.
>
> 5. General cleanup and bugfixes that are post- 0.10.
>
> The package comes from debian universe. The only thing debian did was
> package it. We added two patches, one to add apport support and the other
> to do the right thing wrt dbus (per Scott's email a week or so back).
>
> Scott's patch is trivial to fold back in and I think I can re-work Matt Z's
> patch to make it more general for upstream.
>
> Comments?

I'd say go for it and place the resulting package to have a look at it. Alpha4
is next week and feature freeze at the 19th Feb. So there is a bit of time. 2
and 3 on their own sound like good arguments for an update.

Stefan

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!