-   -   rm_conffile() /etc/modprobe.d/ipw3945 on upgrades (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/233183-rm_conffile-etc-modprobe-d-ipw3945-upgrades.html)

Loc Minier 01-23-2009 12:53 PM

rm_conffile() /etc/modprobe.d/ipw3945 on upgrades

Hi

Back in gutsy, linux-restricted-modules-common used to ship a
/etc/modprobe.d/ipw3945 conffile. In hardy, this conffile wasn't
shipped anymore, but wasn't removed on upgrades. (The modprobe.d file
served starting a binary only daemon but ipw3945 is superseded by
iwlwifi which doesn't require one.)

The two patches below start a new release in jaunty-lrm and add a
postinst snippet to remove this conffile if it wasn't modified, or
rename it out of the way if it was. You can also get the patches from:
git://kernel.ubuntu.com/lool/ubuntu/ubuntu-jaunty-lrm.git

I did a test build and installed the new
linux-restricted-modules-common which removed the conffile on one of my
systems.

Cheers,

Andy Whitcroft 01-23-2009 04:05 PM

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 02:53:35PM +0100, Loc Minier wrote:
> Hi
>
> Back in gutsy, linux-restricted-modules-common used to ship a
> /etc/modprobe.d/ipw3945 conffile. In hardy, this conffile wasn't
> shipped anymore, but wasn't removed on upgrades. (The modprobe.d file
> served starting a binary only daemon but ipw3945 is superseded by
> iwlwifi which doesn't require one.)
>
> The two patches below start a new release in jaunty-lrm and add a
> postinst snippet to remove this conffile if it wasn't modified, or
> rename it out of the way if it was. You can also get the patches from:
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/lool/ubuntu/ubuntu-jaunty-lrm.git
>
> I did a test build and installed the new
> linux-restricted-modules-common which removed the conffile on one of my
> systems.

Is there an LP bug associated with this?

-apw

Loc Minier 01-23-2009 04:13 PM

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> Is there an LP bug associated with this?

I'm happy to file one if you like; I discovered this file on my two
jaunty systems and went straight to fixing it.

--
Loc Minier