Old 01-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Andy Whitcroft

Default EXT4 online defrag

We have a request (via launchpad) to pull in patches for ext4 to enable
online defrag on our queue. Currently these patches are not in
mainline, though they appear slated to hit .29 or .30. My feeling
is that with the bugs we have open hinting at ext4 stability issues it
would be very presumtious to add yet more patches which are not in
mainline. There is a high probabsaility we will have to pull in some
ext4 patches to fix these other issues and the online defrag patches can
only increase the difficulty.

I feel our position on this therefore should be that we are not going to
fix it as the risk is so high, and indicate that we are likely to get
this functionality for free in K.K.

Comments?

-apw

Old 01-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Pete Graner

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> We have a request (via launchpad) to pull in patches for ext4 to enable
> online defrag on our queue. Currently these patches are not in
> mainline, though they appear slated to hit .29 or .30. My feeling
> is that with the bugs we have open hinting at ext4 stability issues it
> would be very presumtious to add yet more patches which are not in
> mainline. There is a high probabsaility we will have to pull in some
> ext4 patches to fix these other issues and the online defrag patches can
> only increase the difficulty.
>
> I feel our position on this therefore should be that we are not going to
> fix it as the risk is so high, and indicate that we are likely to get
> this functionality for free in K.K.
>
> Comments?
>
> -apw

ACK 100%

--
Pete Graner <pgraner@canonical.com>
Manager

Old 01-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Tim Gardner

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> We have a request (via launchpad) to pull in patches for ext4 to enable
> online defrag on our queue. Currently these patches are not in
> mainline, though they appear slated to hit .29 or .30. My feeling
> is that with the bugs we have open hinting at ext4 stability issues it
> would be very presumtious to add yet more patches which are not in
> mainline. There is a high probabsaility we will have to pull in some
> ext4 patches to fix these other issues and the online defrag patches can
> only increase the difficulty.
>
> I feel our position on this therefore should be that we are not going to
> fix it as the risk is so high, and indicate that we are likely to get
> this functionality for free in K.K.
>
> Comments?
>
> -apw

I am not at all inclined to mess around with experimental patches on a
file system. So yes, I completely agree with your reservations.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com