Old 01-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Tim Gardner

Default Really skip abi checks when requested

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.Amit Kucheria wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently, when you wish to ignore ABI, you still need to provide the
> old and new ABI files else the build fails. Failure of 2.6.28-5.13 is
> due to this reason, although Tim added the ignore files to -5.12.
>
> Ben, could you explain (once again) why providing the ABI is
> desirable? I am probably too dense to understand the reasoning for
> this.
>
> Attached patch attempts to fix it my way.
>
> /Amit

How about this minor correction.

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 01-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Amit Kucheria

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@canonical.com> wrote:
> Amit Kucheria wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Currently, when you wish to ignore ABI, you still need to provide the
>> old and new ABI files else the build fails. Failure of 2.6.28-5.13 is
>> due to this reason, although Tim added the ignore files to -5.12.
>>
>> Ben, could you explain (once again) why providing the ABI is
>> desirable? I am probably too dense to understand the reasoning for
>> this.
>>
>> Attached patch attempts to fix it my way.
>>
>> /Amit
>>

> How about this minor correction.
+
+ # Exit if the ABI files are missing, but return status based on whether
+ # skip ABI was indicated.
+ if ("$abiskip" eq "1") {
+ exit(0);
+ } else {
+ exit(1);
+ }
}

Isn't the point that we _should not_ exit when we have requested
abiskip? Your correction functionally reverts it back to what it is.

/Amit

Old 01-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Tim Gardner

Amit Kucheria wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@canonical.com> wrote:
>> Amit Kucheria wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Currently, when you wish to ignore ABI, you still need to provide the
>>> old and new ABI files else the build fails. Failure of 2.6.28-5.13 is
>>> due to this reason, although Tim added the ignore files to -5.12.
>>>
>>> Ben, could you explain (once again) why providing the ABI is
>>> desirable? I am probably too dense to understand the reasoning for
>>> this.
>>>
>>> Attached patch attempts to fix it my way.
>>>
>>> /Amit
>>>
>> How about this minor correction.
> +
> + # Exit if the ABI files are missing, but return status based on whether
> + # skip ABI was indicated.
> + if ("$abiskip" eq "1") {
> + exit(0);
> + } else {
> + exit(1);
> + }
> }
>
> Isn't the point that we _should not_ exit when we have requested
> abiskip? Your correction functionally reverts it back to what it is.
>
> /Amit

At this point in the script you've determined that the previous ABI
files don't exists, so you cannot proceed. However, you've requested to
skip ABI checking which implies the script should return success
regardless. Otherwise the build fails on an error status.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 01-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Amit Kucheria

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@canonical.com> wrote:
> Amit Kucheria wrote:

>>> How about this minor correction.
>> +
>> + # Exit if the ABI files are missing, but return status based on whether
>> + # skip ABI was indicated.
>> + if ("$abiskip" eq "1") {
>> + exit(0);
>> + } else {
>> + exit(1);
>> + }
>> }
>>
>> Isn't the point that we _should not_ exit when we have requested
>> abiskip? Your correction functionally reverts it back to what it is.
>>
>> /Amit
>>

> At this point in the script you've determined that the previous ABI
> files don't exists, so you cannot proceed. However, you've requested to
> skip ABI checking which implies the script should return success
> regardless. Otherwise the build fails on an error status.

Duh. I forgot that the return status caused the build to fail, not the
actual exit() call.

Ack.

/Amit