Old 01-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Tim Gardner

Default Suggestion for LPIA management

Loc Minier wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009, Tim Gardner wrote:
>> By
>> virtue of the fact that we've essentially split the trees, we have to
>> package and upload separately for each branch.
>
> Is that also going to be the case at release time, or is the plan to
> merge back the trees into one at release time? I think this was the
> original idea for linux / linux-lpia, but didn't happen. This means
> that either we need to do SRUs and security updates of both, or one
> gets lesser support.

It doesn't make sense to _ever_ merge the branches back into master. Its
the only way to avoid release date and merge conflicts. The complaint
that I've had in the past is that the targeted platform projects were
usually not ready for kernel updates at the same time as the general distro.

I think its incumbent upon the kernel team to keep each branch up to
date with respect to master, but when those updates are packaged and
released is up to the particular project.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com