Old 01-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Tim Gardner

Default Suggestion for LPIA management

Andy,

From IRC comments yesterday (or the day before) I gather you are
interested in folding the LPIA trees back into the main Jaunty repos. In
principle I agree, but I think we need to formalize the management
thereof since some stuff is non-obvious.

1) In the past the OEM and MID teams have had release dates and
requirements that are not always synchronized with the needs of the
general distribution. Therefore, all platform targeted architectures
should be on a permanent branch of master. (Frankly - I kind of think
ARM falls into this category).

2) Once the branch is created it is _never_ rebased against master.
Instead, code commits from master are cherry-picked into the branch (and
perhaps applicable commits to the debian directory). This will avoid
merge issues with changelog and ABI files. Each branch will have its own
unique changelog and debian/abi. There'll likely be some other cruft in
control.d, rules.d, and d-i that is unique to the branch.

3) Each branch will have its own version of control.d, rules.d, d-i, and
control.stub.in, each with its particular architecture setting(s). By
virtue of the fact that we've essentially split the trees, we have to
package and upload separately for each branch.

I'm a little fuzzy on how version numbers have to be managed between the
various arches. It seems like a good rule of thumb to keep the ABI
number consistent across all arches, but version numbers might have to
be unique for each upload, regardless of arch.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 01-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Loc Minier

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009, Tim Gardner wrote:
> By
> virtue of the fact that we've essentially split the trees, we have to
> package and upload separately for each branch.

Is that also going to be the case at release time, or is the plan to
merge back the trees into one at release time? I think this was the
original idea for linux / linux-lpia, but didn't happen. This means
that either we need to do SRUs and security updates of both, or one
gets lesser support.

--
Loc Minier