Old 01-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Andy Whitcroft

Default LP#291878 -- fix HP Pavillion zv6000 volume

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:04:56AM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> > The volume keys on HP Pavillion zv6000s do not correctly produce key up
> > events leading to them autorepeating all the way to the end of the scale.
> > Following this email is a patch for this adding a quirk for the machine.
> > This patch has already been merge to mainline (2.6.29-rc1) has been tested
> > by the submitter to fix the issue on an Intrepid kernel.
> >
> > The changes are tied to the DMI name of the machine and so the risks of
> > regression on other machines should be low. Proposing this for SRU to
> > Intrepid and for application to Jaunty.
> >
> > -apw
> >
> > Rikard Ljungstrand (1):
> > Input: atkbd - add keyboard quirk for HP Pavilion ZV6100 laptop
> >
> > drivers/input/keyboard/atkbd.c | 26 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > 1 files changed, 26 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)
> >

> ACK
>
> /rant
>
> I've often wondered how these platform specific patches can scale. A
> decade from now the kernel is going to have hundreds of patches like
> this, unique to 1 platform that was sold for 6 months (the typical
> laptop sales window). It must drive the embedded guys nuts 'cause all
> this crap is carried along with typically no way to optionally not
> compile it.

I have noticed that there is now some move to moving more of this crap
into a new arch/<arch>/platform/foo bucket to at least constrain it to
the architecture for which it applies. Perhaps we will see some
improvement here.

There has also been recently some pull out of quirks elsewhere and
pushing them into their own modules, loading via modaliases and udev
trickery.

So I think we are not the only people wondering how it can scale and
perhaps there is some push to get it to scale better.

-apw

Old 01-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Andy Whitcroft

Applied to Intrepid and Jaunty.