Old 01-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Jim Lieb

Default SRU LP #269123 stkwebcam kernel-module doesn't support all the webcams supported previously with stk11

This is a backport of the stk11xx driver from SourceForge. It was in Hardy
but did not make it to Intrepid. The patch is quite large due to its
inclusion of the (new) driver files. Both reporters have confirmed it works
with both amd64 and i386.

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/lieb/ubuntu-intrepid.git lp269123

Proposing for SRU for Intrepid.

The upgraded stkwebcam driver in Jaunty (2.6.28) should be tested
prior to proposing for Jaunty. Those changes were not attempted due
to the rework between .27 and .28.

Jim
--
Jim Lieb
Ubuntu Kernel Team

Old 01-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Stefan Bader

Jim Lieb wrote:
> This is a backport of the stk11xx driver from SourceForge. It was in Hardy
> but did not make it to Intrepid. The patch is quite large due to its
> inclusion of the (new) driver files. Both reporters have confirmed it works
> with both amd64 and i386.
>
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/lieb/ubuntu-intrepid.git lp269123
>
> Proposing for SRU for Intrepid.
>
> The upgraded stkwebcam driver in Jaunty (2.6.28) should be tested
> prior to proposing for Jaunty. Those changes were not attempted due
> to the rework between .27 and .28.
>
> Jim

From my impression this sounds rather like a candidate for
linux-backports-modules than like something that should go into the main tree.

Stefan

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!

Old 01-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Stefan Bader

Stefan Bader wrote:
> Jim Lieb wrote:
>> This is a backport of the stk11xx driver from SourceForge. It was in Hardy
>> but did not make it to Intrepid. The patch is quite large due to its
>> inclusion of the (new) driver files. Both reporters have confirmed it works
>> with both amd64 and i386.
>>
>> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/lieb/ubuntu-intrepid.git lp269123
>>
>> Proposing for SRU for Intrepid.
>>
>> The upgraded stkwebcam driver in Jaunty (2.6.28) should be tested
>> prior to proposing for Jaunty. Those changes were not attempted due
>> to the rework between .27 and .28.
>>
>> Jim
>
> From my impression this sounds rather like a candidate for
> linux-backports-modules than like something that should go into the main tree.
>
> Stefan

I take back what I said. The ubuntu dir is fine. I will have a closer look at them.

Stefan

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!

Old 01-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Jim Lieb

On Thursday 15 January 2009 08:11:49 Stefan Bader wrote:
> Stefan Bader wrote:
> > Jim Lieb wrote:
> >> This is a backport of the stk11xx driver from SourceForge. It was in
> >> Hardy but did not make it to Intrepid. The patch is quite large due to
> >> its inclusion of the (new) driver files. Both reporters have confirmed
> >> it works with both amd64 and i386.
> >>
> >> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/lieb/ubuntu-intrepid.git lp269123
> >>
> >> Proposing for SRU for Intrepid.
> >>
> >> The upgraded stkwebcam driver in Jaunty (2.6.28) should be tested
> >> prior to proposing for Jaunty. Those changes were not attempted due
> >> to the rework between .27 and .28.
> >>
> >> Jim
> >
> > From my impression this sounds rather like a candidate for
> > linux-backports-modules than like something that should go into the main
> > tree.
> >
> > Stefan
>
> I take back what I said. The ubuntu dir is fine. I will have a closer look
> at them.
>
> Stefan
Thanks. Doing a backport of the stkwebcam would have been messy due
to the intro of bkl into the drivers so this was the easiest way out. I don't
propose this for Jaunty until testing of the .28 mainline driver proves
otherwise.
--
Jim Lieb
Ubuntu Kernel Team

Old 01-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Stefan Bader

Jim Lieb wrote:
> This is a backport of the stk11xx driver from SourceForge. It was in Hardy
> but did not make it to Intrepid. The patch is quite large due to its
> inclusion of the (new) driver files. Both reporters have confirmed it works
> with both amd64 and i386.
>
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/lieb/ubuntu-intrepid.git lp269123
>
> Proposing for SRU for Intrepid.
>
> The upgraded stkwebcam driver in Jaunty (2.6.28) should be tested
> prior to proposing for Jaunty. Those changes were not attempted due
> to the rework between .27 and .28.
>
> Jim

Alright, I had some time to look at the driver. The problem here is that this
new driver takes the same IDs as the stk-webcam driver which is in Intrepid and
also build and shipped. So for this reason the backported driver has to go into
lbm.

Stefan

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!

Old 01-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Jim Lieb

On Thursday 15 January 2009 08:30:02 Stefan Bader wrote:
> Jim Lieb wrote:
> > This is a backport of the stk11xx driver from SourceForge. It was in
> > Hardy but did not make it to Intrepid. The patch is quite large due to
> > its inclusion of the (new) driver files. Both reporters have confirmed
> > it works with both amd64 and i386.
> >
> > git://kernel.ubuntu.com/lieb/ubuntu-intrepid.git lp269123
> >
> > Proposing for SRU for Intrepid.
> >
> > The upgraded stkwebcam driver in Jaunty (2.6.28) should be tested
> > prior to proposing for Jaunty. Those changes were not attempted due
> > to the rework between .27 and .28.
> >
> > Jim
>
> Alright, I had some time to look at the driver. The problem here is that
> this new driver takes the same IDs as the stk-webcam driver which is in
> Intrepid and also build and shipped. So for this reason the backported
> driver has to go into lbm.
>
> Stefan
Sure if that is the consensus. All I need is a pointer on how to do it. We
already know that the driver works for the reporters. Pointer please?
--
Jim Lieb
Ubuntu Kernel Team

Old 01-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Stefan Bader

Jim Lieb wrote:
> On Thursday 15 January 2009 08:30:02 Stefan Bader wrote:
>> Jim Lieb wrote:
>>> This is a backport of the stk11xx driver from SourceForge. It was in
>>> Hardy but did not make it to Intrepid. The patch is quite large due to
>>> its inclusion of the (new) driver files. Both reporters have confirmed
>>> it works with both amd64 and i386.
>>>
>>> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/lieb/ubuntu-intrepid.git lp269123
>>>
>>> Proposing for SRU for Intrepid.
>>>
>>> The upgraded stkwebcam driver in Jaunty (2.6.28) should be tested
>>> prior to proposing for Jaunty. Those changes were not attempted due
>>> to the rework between .27 and .28.
>>>
>>> Jim
>> Alright, I had some time to look at the driver. The problem here is that
>> this new driver takes the same IDs as the stk-webcam driver which is in
>> Intrepid and also build and shipped. So for this reason the backported
>> driver has to go into lbm.
>>
>> Stefan
> Sure if that is the consensus. All I need is a pointer on how to do it. We
> already know that the driver works for the reporters. Pointer please?

Not sure we have a good doc there. Basically the mechanics are similar to the
ubuntu dir. There is a separate git intrepid-lbm.git. You place the new driver
into the updates dir there update Makefile to descend into that dir
(configurable) and then turn on the configs in the debian/config dir.
In the past it was usually done in two steps: first add the driver and Maefile
change and in a second checkin turn on the configs.

Stefan

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Tim Gardner

Stefan Bader wrote:
> Not sure we have a good doc there. Basically the mechanics are similar to the
> ubuntu dir. There is a separate git intrepid-lbm.git. You place the new driver
> into the updates dir there update Makefile to descend into that dir
> (configurable) and then turn on the configs in the debian/config dir.
> In the past it was usually done in two steps: first add the driver and Maefile
> change and in a second checkin turn on the configs.
>
> Stefan

Once Jim has it added to LBM, I guess we're gonna have to whack on the
packaging so that multiple binary debs are produced, one for each major
backported subsystem. I'm pretty sure folks won't be interested in
installing compat-wireless just to pick up a video cam driver. We sort
of need to do this anyway if we ever backport ALSA to Intrepid.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 01-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Jim Lieb

On Thursday 15 January 2009 08:51:30 Stefan Bader wrote:
> Jim Lieb wrote:

> >> Alright, I had some time to look at the driver. The problem here is that
> >> this new driver takes the same IDs as the stk-webcam driver which is in
> >> Intrepid and also build and shipped. So for this reason the backported
> >> driver has to go into lbm.
> >>
> >> Stefan
> >
> > Sure if that is the consensus. All I need is a pointer on how to do it.
> > We already know that the driver works for the reporters. Pointer please?
>
> Not sure we have a good doc there. Basically the mechanics are similar to
> the ubuntu dir. There is a separate git intrepid-lbm.git. You place the new
> driver into the updates dir there update Makefile to descend into that dir
> (configurable) and then turn on the configs in the debian/config dir. In
> the past it was usually done in two steps: first add the driver and Maefile
> change and in a second checkin turn on the configs.
>
> Stefan
I've had look at the lbm git and the one paragraph in KernelMaintenance and
I'm not sure I am more or less confused. All I see in the git at this point
is the wireless-compat stuff with its firmware. I'd like to get some guidance
because, although I can make either work, unwinding this thing can be a
big PITA for all concerned if is it's not "the plan". I plead newbie
ignorance of process here.

* What is the criteria? There are lots of competing drivers and modules
all over the kernel. What would make this special and a candidate for lum?
As for conflicting usb ids, that's a job for udev and friends. The driver
already lives side by side with stkwebcam in /lilb/modules.

* If the consensus of the folks who have been around here longer than me
is that it does go into lum, I have no problem and will re-target this into
the lum git asap. If so, do I add a ./updates/webcams dir for it to live
under or do I plop it in as a driver at the same level? The
linkage in ./ubuntu seems pretty clear since it all falls under the kbuild
and main kernel makefile environment. There seems to be some magic
here that I'd have do dup, i.e. where does $(src) in the top makefile
come from/get set from? Is there a doc/wiki/README for this? Things
like the config files for the wireless are empty (of usable content other
that comments...) and the Makefile is a one liner so there is not much
to plagiarize.

BTW, I'm a bit uncomfortable with separate but "co-mingled" git trees
and the buried magic in multiple directory trees and the shell/makefile
scripts to tie them together. I've had some version skew nightmares
that still make me twitch so pardon my paranoia. Is the ./ubuntu dir
such a candidate for keeping such entropy under control?

On another note that *should* be orthogonal to where the bits end up; is
there any module load time glue that we supply? That is one of the
missing pieces between driver writers and udev rule writers at the moment.
Do we have policy/criteria for this and if so, where do I find it?

Thanks
--
Jim Lieb
Ubuntu Kernel Team

Old 01-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Stefan Bader

Jim Lieb wrote:
> On Thursday 15 January 2009 08:51:30 Stefan Bader wrote:
>> Jim Lieb wrote:

>>> Sure if that is the consensus. All I need is a pointer on how to do it.
>>> We already know that the driver works for the reporters. Pointer please?
>> Not sure we have a good doc there. Basically the mechanics are similar to
>> the ubuntu dir. There is a separate git intrepid-lbm.git. You place the new
>> driver into the updates dir there update Makefile to descend into that dir
>> (configurable) and then turn on the configs in the debian/config dir. In
>> the past it was usually done in two steps: first add the driver and Maefile
>> change and in a second checkin turn on the configs.
>>
>> Stefan
> I've had look at the lbm git and the one paragraph in KernelMaintenance and
> I'm not sure I am more or less confused. All I see in the git at this point
> is the wireless-compat stuff with its firmware. I'd like to get some guidance
> because, although I can make either work, unwinding this thing can be a
> big PITA for all concerned if is it's not "the plan". I plead newbie
> ignorance of process here.
>
> * What is the criteria? There are lots of competing drivers and modules
> all over the kernel. What would make this special and a candidate for lum?
> As for conflicting usb ids, that's a job for udev and friends. The driver
> already lives side by side with stkwebcam in /lilb/modules.

The most important criteria being: can it cause side effects. This can be true
for modules which already are in the kernel and are replaced by an upstream or
more recent version. But also, as there are real life cases, when a newer
driver takes ownership of HW that was/is handled by a different driver (or at
least supposed to be).
The problem here is that there are known issues with the automatic loading of
modules. The given search path does not guarantee the precedence of one driver
over the other. Also as this driver does take responsibility for more that one
ID. Have all been non-working with the old driver or will some users experience
regressions?

> * If the consensus of the folks who have been around here longer than me
> is that it does go into lum, I have no problem and will re-target this into
> the lum git asap. If so, do I add a ./updates/webcams dir for it to live

You mean lbm. But yes, a subdir for a class of drivers with an additional dir
for the individual driver makes sense. Especially when we split up the one big
package into more manageable chunks.

> under or do I plop it in as a driver at the same level? The
> linkage in ./ubuntu seems pretty clear since it all falls under the kbuild
> and main kernel makefile environment. There seems to be some magic
> here that I'd have do dup, i.e. where does $(src) in the top makefile
> come from/get set from? Is there a doc/wiki/README for this? Things
> like the config files for the wireless are empty (of usable content other
> that comments...) and the Makefile is a one liner so there is not much
> to plagiarize.

Not that I know of. In general it is the mechanism of the kernel to build
external modules tied into debian packaging. So most magic comes from changing
into the headers dir (the one that also contains .config and module versions)
and then do a make M=<extmod dir>

> BTW, I'm a bit uncomfortable with separate but "co-mingled" git trees
> and the buried magic in multiple directory trees and the shell/makefile
> scripts to tie them together. I've had some version skew nightmares
> that still make me twitch so pardon my paranoia. Is the ./ubuntu dir
> such a candidate for keeping such entropy under control?

The alternative sounds more frightening to me. Putting things into this
separate places at least shows there are changes to a released codebase that
are modified. Less critical stuff gets into ubuntu (formerly lum) and the more
risky into lbm which requires the user at least to make a known decision to
install. Otherwise updates can break a system for no apparent reason.

> On another note that *should* be orthogonal to where the bits end up; is
> there any module load time glue that we supply? That is one of the
> missing pieces between driver writers and udev rule writers at the moment.
> Do we have policy/criteria for this and if so, where do I find it?

The glue at load time mostly is the search path of modules. And for completely
separate new stuff this is just another module in anoter known location. The
policy if you want to say so is the search paths/order defined in
/etc/depmod.d/ubuntu.conf (installed by module-init-tools). Nothing scary. It
gets hairy for drivers that share PCI or USB or whatever ID.

Stefan
--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!