Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu Kernel Team (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/)
-   -   List of kernel bugs tagged suspend, resume, or hibernate (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/226673-list-kernel-bugs-tagged-suspend-resume-hibernate.html)

Leann Ogasawara 01-12-2009 08:56 PM

List of kernel bugs tagged suspend, resume, or hibernate
 
Hi All,

I've thrown together a list of kernel bugs currently tagged either
"suspend", "resume", or "hibernate" in Launchpad.

http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ogasawara/suspend-resume.html

Hopefully it will help isolate some of the issues we see this cycle. I
do anticipate the list to grow since I have a long list of potential
suspend/resume/hibernate bugs that I still need to go through and tag.
Let me know if you want to see any additional tags displayed or maybe a
combination of the above tags e.g. bugs tagged both "suspend" and
"resume". Also, if there is any additional information you want shown
in each table, let me know and I'll see if it's possible to gather it
via the launchpadlib api.

Thanks,
Leann


--
kernel-team mailing list
kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kernel-team

Pete Graner 01-12-2009 09:01 PM

List of kernel bugs tagged suspend, resume, or hibernate
 
Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've thrown together a list of kernel bugs currently tagged either
> "suspend", "resume", or "hibernate" in Launchpad.
>
> http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ogasawara/suspend-resume.html
>
> Hopefully it will help isolate some of the issues we see this cycle. I
> do anticipate the list to grow since I have a long list of potential
> suspend/resume/hibernate bugs that I still need to go through and tag.
> Let me know if you want to see any additional tags displayed or maybe a
> combination of the above tags e.g. bugs tagged both "suspend" and
> "resume". Also, if there is any additional information you want shown
> in each table, let me know and I'll see if it's possible to gather it
> via the launchpadlib api.
>
> Thanks,
> Leann
>
>

Thanks Leann. One question, these are obviously on releases prior to
Jaunty, how do we differentiate them from the ones found in Jaunty? Do
we need to run thru them all and ask them to retest on Jaunty Alpha 3?
Given the new test frame work in Alpha 3, it would be nice to somehow
which ones came from where i.e. the test script or user experience. make
sense?

~pete

--
Pete Graner <pgraner@canonical.com>
Manager
Ubuntu Kernel Team
Canonical Ltd. http://www.canonical.com/

--
kernel-team mailing list
kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kernel-team

Leann Ogasawara 01-12-2009 09:35 PM

List of kernel bugs tagged suspend, resume, or hibernate
 
On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 17:01 -0500, Pete Graner wrote:
> Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've thrown together a list of kernel bugs currently tagged either
> > "suspend", "resume", or "hibernate" in Launchpad.
> >
> > http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ogasawara/suspend-resume.html
> >
> > Hopefully it will help isolate some of the issues we see this cycle. I
> > do anticipate the list to grow since I have a long list of potential
> > suspend/resume/hibernate bugs that I still need to go through and tag.
> > Let me know if you want to see any additional tags displayed or maybe a
> > combination of the above tags e.g. bugs tagged both "suspend" and
> > "resume". Also, if there is any additional information you want shown
> > in each table, let me know and I'll see if it's possible to gather it
> > via the launchpadlib api.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Leann
> >
> >
>
> Thanks Leann. One question, these are obviously on releases prior to
> Jaunty, how do we differentiate them from the ones found in Jaunty?

I can go through and get them tagged according to their release so it's
easy to differentiate them. I can then easily display this in the table
as well.

> Do we need to run thru them all and ask them to retest on Jaunty Alpha 3?

I think this would actually be a good idea to do for any
suspend/hibernate bug that is currently open. I could easily script up
an automated call for testing.

> Given the new test frame work in Alpha 3, it would be nice to somehow
> which ones came from where i.e. the test script or user experience. make
> sense?

I assume the bugs that will get reported via the test script (apport)
will also be tagged something like "apport-bug". Steve, can you comment
if the tagging I'm expecting to happen here is a valid assumption? This
will make it easy to then distinguish those bugs reported via the script
vs manually reported from a user. I could then also easily showcase
this in the bug list display.

Thanks,
Leann



--
kernel-team mailing list
kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kernel-team

Steve Conklin 01-13-2009 03:34 AM

List of kernel bugs tagged suspend, resume, or hibernate
 
On 01/12/2009 04:35 PM, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> I assume the bugs that will get reported via the test script (apport)
> will also be tagged something like "apport-bug". Steve, can you comment
> if the tagging I'm expecting to happen here is a valid assumption? This
> will make it easy to then distinguish those bugs reported via the script
> vs manually reported from a user. I could then also easily showcase
> this in the bug list display.

As it stands now, all suspend/resume bugs files by the apport automatic
detection will be tagged with all of the following: "suspend", "resume",
"hiberate", and "apport-kerneloops" (not sure of the exact spelling of
the last one). This can all be changed if desired, the tags are
hard-coded in the script.

Steve

--
kernel-team mailing list
kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kernel-team

Leann Ogasawara 01-13-2009 04:09 PM

List of kernel bugs tagged suspend, resume, or hibernate
 
On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 22:34 -0600, Steve Conklin wrote:
> On 01/12/2009 04:35 PM, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> > I assume the bugs that will get reported via the test script (apport)
> > will also be tagged something like "apport-bug". Steve, can you comment
> > if the tagging I'm expecting to happen here is a valid assumption? This
> > will make it easy to then distinguish those bugs reported via the script
> > vs manually reported from a user. I could then also easily showcase
> > this in the bug list display.
>
> As it stands now, all suspend/resume bugs files by the apport automatic
> detection will be tagged with all of the following: "suspend", "resume",
> "hiberate", and "apport-kerneloops" (not sure of the exact spelling of
> the last one). This can all be changed if desired, the tags are
> hard-coded in the script.

I'd prefer the use of "apport-bug" vs. "apport-kerneloops".
"apport-kerneloops" implies an actual Oops was detected and is being
reported.

Thanks,
Leann


--
kernel-team mailing list
kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kernel-team

Andy Whitcroft 01-14-2009 02:45 PM

List of kernel bugs tagged suspend, resume, or hibernate
 
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:09:46AM -0800, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 22:34 -0600, Steve Conklin wrote:
> > On 01/12/2009 04:35 PM, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> > > I assume the bugs that will get reported via the test script (apport)
> > > will also be tagged something like "apport-bug". Steve, can you comment
> > > if the tagging I'm expecting to happen here is a valid assumption? This
> > > will make it easy to then distinguish those bugs reported via the script
> > > vs manually reported from a user. I could then also easily showcase
> > > this in the bug list display.
> >
> > As it stands now, all suspend/resume bugs files by the apport automatic
> > detection will be tagged with all of the following: "suspend", "resume",
> > "hiberate", and "apport-kerneloops" (not sure of the exact spelling of
> > the last one). This can all be changed if desired, the tags are
> > hard-coded in the script.
>
> I'd prefer the use of "apport-bug" vs. "apport-kerneloops".
> "apport-kerneloops" implies an actual Oops was detected and is being
> reported.

I think we might be stuck with whatever Steve put in his patches to
apport for the start of alpha-3, we are not likely to get apport changed
again before the release.

-apw

--
kernel-team mailing list
kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kernel-team

Steve Conklin 01-14-2009 08:10 PM

List of kernel bugs tagged suspend, resume, or hibernate
 
On 01/14/2009 09:45 AM, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:09:46AM -0800, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 22:34 -0600, Steve Conklin wrote:
>>> On 01/12/2009 04:35 PM, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
>>>> I assume the bugs that will get reported via the test script (apport)
>>>> will also be tagged something like "apport-bug". Steve, can you comment
>>>> if the tagging I'm expecting to happen here is a valid assumption? This
>>>> will make it easy to then distinguish those bugs reported via the script
>>>> vs manually reported from a user. I could then also easily showcase
>>>> this in the bug list display.
>>> As it stands now, all suspend/resume bugs files by the apport automatic
>>> detection will be tagged with all of the following: "suspend", "resume",
>>> "hiberate", and "apport-kerneloops" (not sure of the exact spelling of
>>> the last one). This can all be changed if desired, the tags are
>>> hard-coded in the script.
>> I'd prefer the use of "apport-bug" vs. "apport-kerneloops".
>> "apport-kerneloops" implies an actual Oops was detected and is being
>> reported.
>
> I think we might be stuck with whatever Steve put in his patches to
> apport for the start of alpha-3, we are not likely to get apport changed
> again before the release.
>
> -apw

I couldn't get 'bug' to work when reporting against the kernel. I talked
with Martin Pitt about this, and there are a few options open to us,
just not in time for the alpha. The options we discussed are:

1. Tag it as a bug (apport-bug) against the pm-utils package

2. Create a new class of things to be reported by apport, just for
suspend/resume bugs.

Another problem with using kerneloops is that apport presents the user
with a message that says something like "you have experiences a kernel
crash", which is not really accurate.

Implementing (1) above is relatively easy, implementing (2) would allow
us to customize apport so that the user message is specific to
suspend/resume.

Martin is on holiday this week, he should be involved in any decisions
about this. This alpha release was a prototype, and we can improve it.

Steve

--
kernel-team mailing list
kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kernel-team


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:24 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.