Old 12-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Daniel Pittman

Default iwl4965 panic -- tracking it down

G'day.

My Lenovo T61p, running x64 Hardy, has an Intel wireless card in it:

03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or
AGN Network Connection (rev 61)

Linux krosp 2.6.24-2-generic #1 SMP Thu Dec 20 17:58:55 GMT 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

This loads and seems to run with the iwl4965 driver, but it will panic
the kernel unpredictably if the radio is enabled and NetworkManager is
running.

The machine doesn't have a serial port, nor any other easy to attach
output, and when I triggered the message on a console I didn't get much
usable information -- and couldn't scroll back due to the kernel panic.

I can't locate anything useful on the 'net, or in Launchpad, that
suggests a possible cause or even a possible debugging strategy.

So, what is the best way for me to help diagnose and report this
effectively? I am happy to set up 'LKCD' or equivalent, if that will
help, with some pointers in the right sort of direction.

I have done kernel driver development before, but not for years, and
traditionally always had a serial port available.

Er, and I presume that I can't use a USB serial adapter to catch the
panic output -- but if I am wrong, please correct me.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Daniel Pittman <daniel@cybersource.com.au> Phone: 03 9428 6922
1/130-132 Stawell St, Richmond Web: http://www.cyber.com.au

Old 12-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Stefan Skotte

Hi Daniel,

I have the exact same machine (core 2 @ 2.2ghz / 4gb mem), and have not
seen any kernel panics. I'm too running x64, using networkmanager and
wireless (though only a/b/g, not n.):

Linux sfs-laptop 2.6.24-2-generic #1 SMP Thu Dec 20 17:58:55 GMT 2007
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Have you tried a recent bios update ? I would be happy to help tracking
this one down, so leave me a note if there's something I can test.

Kind regards,
Stefan Skotte

Old 12-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Daniel Pittman

Stefan Skotte <sfs@enhance-it.dk> writes:

> I have the exact same machine (core 2 @ 2.2ghz / 4gb mem), and have
> not seen any kernel panics. I'm too running x64, using networkmanager
> and wireless (though only a/b/g, not n.):

I have not actually /connected/ to anything; this seems to be happy to
panic without anything more than NetworkManager talking to it. :/

> Linux sfs-laptop 2.6.24-2-generic #1 SMP Thu Dec 20 17:58:55 GMT 2007 x86_64
> GNU/Linux
>
> Have you tried a recent bios update?

Yes. I am running with the latest BIOS. The only BIOS related note is
that I have not set 'acpi_osi=Linux', since I don't yet have reason to
believe it will be better than the upstream default.

> I would be happy to help tracking this one down, so leave me a note if
> there's something I can test.

Well, my core interest is knowing the best / most recommended way to
capture the panic on a machine that is fairly poorly supplied with
diagnostic tools.

If I can capture the point of failure tracking down the cause should be
easier, at least, than it currently is.

Any suggestions in that regard would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Daniel