Old 01-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Tim Gardner

Default boot speedup

(``-_-) -- BUGabundo wrote:
> Since kernel 2.6.28-4-generic suffered many changes to speedup the
> boot, I took my last 2.6.28-3-generic and the 1st 2.6.28-4-generic
> bootchart pics, to show you guys.
> http://fileland.bugabundo.net/galeria/v/BUGabundo/Linux/bootchart/jaunty-20081227-1.png.html
>
> http://fileland.bugabundo.net/galeria/v/BUGabundo/Linux/bootchart/jaunty-20081228-1.png.html
>

> I haven't noticed many differences, other then some udev changing
> places, and a new sleep().
>
> More bootcharts here
> http://fileland.bugabundo.net/galeria/v/BUGabundo/Linux/bootchart

Substantial reduction of boot times will not be had until there is
sufficient support in the kernel to allow booting without initramfs.

See Martin's comment:
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/311730/comments/4

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 04-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Hinko Kocevar

Hi,

I've started to look around on how to speed up the Gentoo boot sequence.
Looking at the bootchart output I discovered that if using parallel boot
feature from the /etc/conf.d/rc (RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="yes"), things get
done about 9 seconds faster that with RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="no".

Boot time is still at 45 seconds.

Can boot be sped up even more?

Best regards,
Hinko

--
Hinko Kocevar
Technical support software engineer

http://www.i-tech.si - When your users demand stability

The information transmitted is intended solely for the addressee and may
contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any review, retention,
disclosure or other use by persons other than the intended recipient is
prohibited. If you received this in error, please notify the sender and
delete all copies.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Ngoc Nguyen Bao

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Hinko Kocevar <hinko.kocevar@i-tech.si> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've started to look around on how to speed up the Gentoo boot sequence.
> Looking at the bootchart output I discovered that if using parallel boot
> feature from the /etc/conf.d/rc (RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="yes"), things get
> done about 9 seconds faster that with RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="no".
>
> Boot time is still at 45 seconds.
>

> Can boot be sped up even more?
>

> Best regards,
> Hinko
>
> --
> Hinko Kocevar
> Technical support software engineer
> Instrumentation Technologies
> Velika pot 22, SI-5250 Solkan - Slovenia
> T:+386 5 3352600, F:+386 5 3352601
> mailto: hinko.kocevar@i-tech.si
>
> http://www.i-tech.si - When your users demand stability
>
> The information transmitted is intended solely for the addressee and may
> contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any review, retention,
> disclosure or other use by persons other than the intended recipient is
> prohibited. If you received this in error, please notify the sender and
> delete all copies.

Change to testing branch with base layout 2. Your boot time'll decrease by half.

--
Nguyễn Bảo Ngọc
http://www.facebook.com/pymaster

Old 04-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Hinko Kocevar

On 04/12/10 11:31, Ngoc Nguyen Bao wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Hinko Kocevar <hinko.kocevar@i-tech.si> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've started to look around on how to speed up the Gentoo boot sequence.
>> Looking at the bootchart output I discovered that if using parallel boot
>> feature from the /etc/conf.d/rc (RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="yes"), things get
>> done about 9 seconds faster that with RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="no".
>>
>> Boot time is still at 45 seconds.
>>

>> Can boot be sped up even more?
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Hinko
>>
>> --
>> Hinko Kocevar
>> Technical support software engineer
>> Instrumentation Technologies
>> Velika pot 22, SI-5250 Solkan - Slovenia
>> T:+386 5 3352600, F:+386 5 3352601
>> mailto: hinko.kocevar@i-tech.si
>>
>> http://www.i-tech.si - When your users demand stability
>>
>> The information transmitted is intended solely for the addressee and may
>> contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any review, retention,
>> disclosure or other use by persons other than the intended recipient is
>> prohibited. If you received this in error, please notify the sender and
>> delete all copies.
>>

> Change to testing branch with base layout 2. Your boot time'll decrease by half.

Thank you!

Hmm, I was looking at the
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml. For OpenRC I added
sys-apps/openrc ~x86 to package.keywords, to get baselayout-2 ebuild
I've added ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" to /etc/make.conf.

Will it be enough to (re-)build the baselayout and openrc and its
closest dependencies (41 packages)? Or do I need to perform complete
system upgrade (~900 packages) now that ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is present?

Best regards,
Hinko

Old 04-12-2010, 10:26 AM
KH

sys-apps/openrc ~x86 to package.keywords, to get baselayout-2 ebuild
I've added ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" to /etc/make.conf.

Will it be enough to (re-)build the baselayout and openrc and its
closest dependencies (41 packages)? Or do I need to perform complete
system upgrade (~900 packages) now that ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is present?

Best regards,
Hinko

Hi,

if you are using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" in /etc/make.conf you should do
all 900 packages. Otherwise you might get a mix of both worlds what
could be bad. Be sure that you really want your system changed to testing.

Otherwise you should add those 41 packages to /etc/portage/package.keywords

kh

Old 04-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Mark Knecht

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 2:56 AM, Hinko Kocevar <hinko.kocevar@i-tech.si> wrote:
> On 04/12/10 11:31, Ngoc Nguyen Bao wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Hinko Kocevar <hinko.kocevar@i-tech.si> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've started to look around on how to speed up the Gentoo boot sequence.
>>> Looking at the bootchart output I discovered that if using parallel boot
>>> feature from the /etc/conf.d/rc (RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="yes"), things get
>>> done about 9 seconds faster that with RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="no".
>>>
>>> Boot time is still at 45 seconds.
>>>

>>> Can boot be sped up even more?
>>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Hinko
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hinko Kocevar
>>> Technical support software engineer
>>> Instrumentation Technologies
>>> Velika pot 22, SI-5250 Solkan - Slovenia
>>> T:+386 5 3352600, F:+386 5 3352601
>>> mailto: hinko.kocevar@i-tech.si
>>>
>>> http://www.i-tech.si - When your users demand stability
>>>
>>> The information transmitted is intended solely for the addressee and may
>>> contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any review, retention,
>>> disclosure or other use by persons other than the intended recipient is
>>> prohibited. If you received this in error, please notify the sender and
>>> delete all copies.
>>>

>> Change to testing branch with base layout 2. Your boot time'll decrease by half.
>>

> Thank you!
>
> Hmm, I was looking at the
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml. For OpenRC I added
> sys-apps/openrc ~x86 to package.keywords, to get baselayout-2 ebuild
> I've added ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" to /etc/make.conf.
>
> Will it be enough to (re-)build the baselayout and openrc and its
> closest dependencies (41 packages)? Or do I need to perform complete
> system upgrade (~900 packages) now that ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is present?
>

> Best regards,
> Hinko
>
> --
> Hinko Kocevar
> Technical support software engineer
> Instrumentation Technologies
> Velika pot 22, SI-5250 Solkan - Slovenia
> T:+386 5 3352600, F:+386 5 3352601
> mailto: hinko.kocevar@i-tech.si
>
> http://www.i-tech.si - When your users demand stability
>
> The information transmitted is intended solely for the addressee and may
> contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any review, retention,
> disclosure or other use by persons other than the intended recipient is
> prohibited. If you received this in error, please notify the sender and
> delete all copies.

Be careful about going ~x86. I just went ~amd64. The OpenRC migration
is painless. The KDE, gnome, xfce4 part hasn't been for me. I'm likely
to remove all environments and apps, add the 41 apps to
package.keywords and be done with it, assuming that actually works and
doesn't uncover other problems.

Read more in a post I just sent before I saw your question.

- Mark

Old 04-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Hinko Kocevar

Hi,

On 04/12/10 12:26, KH wrote:
> Am 12.04.2010 11:56, schrieb Hinko Kocevar:
> [...]
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Hmm, I was looking at the
>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml. For OpenRC I added
>> sys-apps/openrc ~x86 to package.keywords, to get baselayout-2 ebuild
>> I've added ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" to /etc/make.conf.
>>
>> Will it be enough to (re-)build the baselayout and openrc and its
>> closest dependencies (41 packages)? Or do I need to perform complete
>> system upgrade (~900 packages) now that ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is present?
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Hinko
>>

> Hi,
>
> if you are using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" in /etc/make.conf you should do
> all 900 packages. Otherwise you might get a mix of both worlds what
> could be bad. Be sure that you really want your system changed to testing.
> Otherwise you should add those 41 packages to
> /etc/portage/package.keywords

Crap. I though there will be some other simpler way of doing this. I
guess I'll leave as-is, at 45 second boot, since I don't want to
compromise my current setup with 'testing' packages where I don't
want/need them..

Thank you all!

Best regards,
Hinko

Old 04-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Roy Wright

.

[...]

Concider / on SSD, /tmp in RAM, /var on spinning disk.

A free society is a single class society where everyone has the same
rights.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 12.04.2010 11:02, schrieb Hinko Kocevar:
> Hi,
>
> I've started to look around on how to speed up the Gentoo boot sequence.
> Looking at the bootchart output I discovered that if using parallel boot
> feature from the /etc/conf.d/rc (RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="yes"), things get
> done about 9 seconds faster that with RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="no".
>
> Boot time is still at 45 seconds.
>

> Can boot be sped up even more?

The fastest way to boot is not to boot at all. Just use Suspend2Disk or
SuspendToRam.

Take a look at TuxOnIce and hibernate-script. Unless something is
broken, I hardly ever reboot.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Jarry

I've added ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" to /etc/make.conf.
Will it be enough to (re-)build the baselayout and openrc and its
closest dependencies (41 packages)? Or do I need to perform complete
system upgrade (~900 packages) now that ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is present?

if you are using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" in /etc/make.conf you should do
all 900 packages.

Crap. I though there will be some other simpler way of doing this. I
guess I'll leave as-is, at 45 second boot, since I don't want to
compromise my current setup with 'testing' packages where I don't
want/need them..

OMG, why 41 or even 900 packages? There's no need to accept ~x86
globaly. IIRC, you need ~x86 only for openrs stuff. I have this
in my /etc/package.keywords (everything else is stable!):

sys-apps/makedev ~amd64
sys-apps/openrc ~amd64
sys-apps/baselayout ~amd64
sys-apps/sysvinit ~amd64

Shift to baselayout2 was really simple and it works like charm.
Actually, I wonder why is baselayout2 still ~x86/~amd64? Seems
quite stable to me, never had any problem with it in the last year...

Jarry