Old 01-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Andy Whitcroft

Default Intel Firmware

In this bug, someone has pointed out that the Intel firmware requires an
EULA that we are not presenting:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-firmware/+bug/179139

I am sure this is under control as we are so closly in touch with Intel.
Does anyone have any background on this?

-apw

Old 01-05-2009, 01:32 AM
"Bryan Wu"

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Andy Whitcroft <apw@canonical.com> wrote:
> In this bug, someone has pointed out that the Intel firmware requires an
> EULA that we are not presenting:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-firmware/+bug/179139

Is that a real bug? I guess it relates to the license issue.

> I am sure this is under control as we are so closly in touch with Intel.
> Does anyone have any background on this?

Can we set this driver as a restricted module?

Thanks
-Bryan

Old 01-05-2009, 07:23 AM
"Zhao, Yingying"

We need to release the EULA together with the binary firmware in Ubuntu images to resolve this legal issue.
Packaging the license files for ipw* and iwl* firmware in the "linux-firmware" is a proper solution.

- Yingying

In this bug, someone has pointed out that the Intel firmware requires an
EULA that we are not presenting:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-firmware/+bug/179139

I am sure this is under control as we are so closly in touch with Intel.
Does anyone have any background on this?

-apw

2?j~u?4?4??归j?z罐?????+-叉???'介hルh??{???ó?+薤'Z点(?Ij}从??u?囱 ?+???e⒏?僻??W(?u*x?8??+6?诙*l⒏0?^?i??? ???罐?????+-叉?????探4??w璁??钆??蔻??9%??u?踝??^q璇y纂 ?hq?⑺u劢4?¥

Old 01-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Stefan Bader

Hi Yingying,

can you provide us a link or send an email with the license to use? Then we
simply can add this to the package.

Thanks,
Stefan

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!

Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 AM
"Zhao, Yingying"

The license file is in the same package associating each firmware.
ipw2100:
http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?i_agree_to_the_license=yes&f=ipw2100-fw-1.3.tgz

ipw2200:
http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?i_agree_to_the_license=yes&f=ipw2200-fw-3.0.tgz

3945/4965/5000 firmwares:
http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/?n=Downloads

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:14 AM
"Zhao, Yingying"

Will anyone follow this to add these license files in the package of "linux-firmware"?
I didn't see them in Jaunty Alpha 4 release.

- Yingying

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Pete Graner

Zhao, Yingying wrote:
> Will anyone follow this to add these license files in the package of "linux-firmware"?
> I didn't see them in Jaunty Alpha 4 release.

YingYing, I am in the process of cleaning up the license files, it will
make it in before we hit beta.

thanks

~pete

--
Pete Graner <pgraner@canonical.com>
Manager

Old 02-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Pete Graner

Pete Graner wrote:
> Zhao, Yingying wrote:
>> Will anyone follow this to add these license files in the package of "linux-firmware"?
>> I didn't see them in Jaunty Alpha 4 release.
>
> YingYing, I am in the process of cleaning up the license files, it will
> make it in before we hit beta.
>
> thanks
>
> ~pete
>
>> - Yingying

Yingying, its fixed now and is in -updates

~pete

--
Pete Graner <pgraner@canonical.com>
Manager +1.828.358.0068 Office