Old 12-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Tim Gardner

Default Reduce CONFIG_LEGACY_PTY_COUNT to 0

It appears that changing the kernel config thusly requires
'pty.legacy_count=N' as a kernel boot parameter for alternate and server
installs.

Is there a more graceful solution to this? Perhaps, as Andy suggested,
we could set the default to a much lower, though non-zero number, such as 8.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 12-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Scott James Remnant

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 11:05 -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:

> It appears that changing the kernel config thusly requires
> 'pty.legacy_count=N' as a kernel boot parameter for alternate and server
> installs.

Why do servers need that at all?!

Do you have a bug reference, or has somebody misunderstood the options
we're changing here?

Scott

Old 12-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Tim Gardner

Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 11:05 -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
>
>> It appears that changing the kernel config thusly requires
>> 'pty.legacy_count=N' as a kernel boot parameter for alternate and server
>> installs.
>>
> Why do servers need that at all?!
>
> Do you have a bug reference, or has somebody misunderstood the options
> we're changing here?
>
> Scott

I've not filed a bug report on it yet since I just noticed the problem.

About the time /sbin/init is launched, the screen clears and
continuously prints "can't get a pty: no such device or file exists" (or
something close to that).

I haven't tried the desktop install. The pty stuff is merely a
distraction while I mess with ext4.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 12-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Colin Watson

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:51:26AM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 11:05 -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> >> It appears that changing the kernel config thusly requires
> >> 'pty.legacy_count=N' as a kernel boot parameter for alternate and server
> >> installs.
> >
> > Why do servers need that at all?!

"Alternate and server installs", i.e. d-i. There's nothing
server-specific here.

> > Do you have a bug reference, or has somebody misunderstood the options
> > we're changing here?
>
> I've not filed a bug report on it yet since I just noticed the problem.
>
> About the time /sbin/init is launched, the screen clears and
> continuously prints "can't get a pty: no such device or file exists" (or
> something close to that).

This message comes from bterm, the UTF-8 framebuffer terminal used in
d-i. bterm does use Unix98 ptys if available (I patched it to do this
way back in 2004). However, /dev/pts mistakenly wasn't getting mounted,
and therefore it had to fall back to legacy ptys. It looks like it's
been doing this silently at least back to hardy, so I guess we should be
grateful for this change making it obvious! :-)

I fixed it with this udev upload:

udev (124-12) jaunty; urgency=low

* Mount /dev/pts at the end of /lib/debian-installer/start-udev, as
Debian's corresponding script does so and bterm needs it (previously it
was silently falling back to legacy PTYs, which are no longer so readily
available and are undesirable anyway).

-- Colin Watson <cjwatson@ubuntu.com> Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:22:33 +0000

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 12-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Scott James Remnant

On Tue, 2008-12-30 at 13:24 +0000, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:51:26AM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> > Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > >
> > > Why do servers need that at all?!
>
> "Alternate and server installs", i.e. d-i. There's nothing
> server-specific here.

Right, I figured d-i and was wondering what wasn't using /dev/pts
because I was sure it did <g>

> > > Do you have a bug reference, or has somebody misunderstood the options
> > > we're changing here?
> >
> > I've not filed a bug report on it yet since I just noticed the problem.
> >
> > About the time /sbin/init is launched, the screen clears and
> > continuously prints "can't get a pty: no such device or file exists" (or
> > something close to that).
>
> This message comes from bterm, the UTF-8 framebuffer terminal used in
> d-i. bterm does use Unix98 ptys if available (I patched it to do this
> way back in 2004). However, /dev/pts mistakenly wasn't getting mounted,
> and therefore it had to fall back to legacy ptys. It looks like it's
> been doing this silently at least back to hardy, so I guess we should be
> grateful for this change making it obvious! :-)

Oops Great! So we can leave legacy ptys at zero! o/ -- if
anything else comes up, we can fix those too

Scott