Old 12-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Andy Whitcroft

Default LP#309378 -- port dm-raid4-5 to 2.6.28 and re-enable

Someone seems to be using dm-raid4-5 and has filed a bug on it. There
is no later version available upstream. I have therefore attempted a
forward port of this. The port seems trivial enough but raid is obviously
something rather sensitive as its failure mode is unpleasant.

The main thing is that an interface in the kernel was no longer used
by anything and was removed (a common occurance), so I have had to
reinstate this. Basically all internal users of the locked form
of {set,clear}_page_locked() had gone so they were removed. Now it
is entirly possible we could move to the unlocked interfaces, but it
is significantly safer to assume not and reinstate them; based on the
assumption that upstream will port this forward to 2.6.28 at some point
after release and is far better placed to make that call.

Comments?

-apw

Andy Whitcroft (1):
UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add dm-raid4-5 driver -- port to 2.6.28

include/linux/pagemap.h | 8 ++++++++
ubuntu/dm-raid4-5/Makefile | 2 +-
ubuntu/dm-raid4-5/dm-raid4-5.c | 2 +-

Old 12-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Tim Gardner

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> Someone seems to be using dm-raid4-5 and has filed a bug on it. There
> is no later version available upstream. I have therefore attempted a
> forward port of this. The port seems trivial enough but raid is obviously
> something rather sensitive as its failure mode is unpleasant.
>
> The main thing is that an interface in the kernel was no longer used
> by anything and was removed (a common occurance), so I have had to
> reinstate this. Basically all internal users of the locked form
> of {set,clear}_page_locked() had gone so they were removed. Now it
> is entirly possible we could move to the unlocked interfaces, but it
> is significantly safer to assume not and reinstate them; based on the
> assumption that upstream will port this forward to 2.6.28 at some point
> after release and is far better placed to make that call.
>
> Comments?
>
> -apw
>
> Andy Whitcroft (1):
> UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add dm-raid4-5 driver -- port to 2.6.28
>
> include/linux/pagemap.h | 8 ++++++++
> ubuntu/dm-raid4-5/Makefile | 2 +-
> ubuntu/dm-raid4-5/dm-raid4-5.c | 2 +-

Applied, though with a slight modification. I moved
{set,clear}_page_locked() into dm-raid4-5.c. I don't see the benefit of
cluttering the mainline include files. Are you concerned that
set_page_locked()/clear_page_locked() might be reintroduced to mainline
with different semantics?

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 12-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Andy Whitcroft

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 10:58:54AM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> > Someone seems to be using dm-raid4-5 and has filed a bug on it. There
> > is no later version available upstream. I have therefore attempted a
> > forward port of this. The port seems trivial enough but raid is obviously
> > something rather sensitive as its failure mode is unpleasant.
> >
> > The main thing is that an interface in the kernel was no longer used
> > by anything and was removed (a common occurance), so I have had to
> > reinstate this. Basically all internal users of the locked form
> > of {set,clear}_page_locked() had gone so they were removed. Now it
> > is entirly possible we could move to the unlocked interfaces, but it
> > is significantly safer to assume not and reinstate them; based on the
> > assumption that upstream will port this forward to 2.6.28 at some point
> > after release and is far better placed to make that call.
> >
> > Comments?
> >
> > -apw
> >
> > Andy Whitcroft (1):
> > UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add dm-raid4-5 driver -- port to 2.6.28
> >
> > include/linux/pagemap.h | 8 ++++++++
> > ubuntu/dm-raid4-5/Makefile | 2 +-
> > ubuntu/dm-raid4-5/dm-raid4-5.c | 2 +-
> > 3 files changed, 10 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
> >

> Applied, though with a slight modification. I moved
> {set,clear}_page_locked() into dm-raid4-5.c. I don't see the benefit of
> cluttering the mainline include files. Are you concerned that
> set_page_locked()/clear_page_locked() might be reintroduced to mainline
> with different semantics?

I was concerned that _set_page_locked() might change. So placing it
there might trigger a failure merge failure should that happen. A
difficult balance between the benefits of that against the obvious
advantage of keeping the whole of it in the ubuntu directory. I am
happy either way.

-apw