Old 12-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Andy Whitcroft

Default LP#276463 -- enable the new FIREWIRE stack

We have had a request to enable the new firewire stack (CONFIG_FIREWIRE
et al) to allow testing of that stack. The new stack is not yet mature,
but it does appear that most of the development is going on here and we
should be expecting this stack to take over from the original in time.

It seems that the new driver provides significant performance improvements
for firewire attached storage. With no other changes users of these
devices would be able to experiment with and test the new drivers.
Without this support in the kernel these is little need to update the
userspace libraries to levels needed for this functionality. By enabling
it now we make it easier for userspace to be tested and developed in
parallel with it.

Following the instructions on this migration web page I have put together
parallel modifications to the kernel and to module-init-tools to allow
these new modules to be built but to be blacklisted:

http://ieee1394.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Juju_Migration

Following this email are two patches. The first is the change to the
kernel configuration files to enable this stack. The second is a debdiff
against the current module-init-tools to blacklist the new modules.

Proposing this for Jaunty.

Comments?

-apw

Andy Whitcroft (1):
UBUNTU: enable the new firewire stack allowing parallel testing

debian/config/amd64/config | 6 +++++-
debian/config/i386/config | 6 +++++-

Old 12-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Tim Gardner

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> We have had a request to enable the new firewire stack (CONFIG_FIREWIRE
> et al) to allow testing of that stack. The new stack is not yet mature,
> but it does appear that most of the development is going on here and we
> should be expecting this stack to take over from the original in time.
>
> It seems that the new driver provides significant performance improvements
> for firewire attached storage. With no other changes users of these
> devices would be able to experiment with and test the new drivers.
> Without this support in the kernel these is little need to update the
> userspace libraries to levels needed for this functionality. By enabling
> it now we make it easier for userspace to be tested and developed in
> parallel with it.
>
> Following the instructions on this migration web page I have put together
> parallel modifications to the kernel and to module-init-tools to allow
> these new modules to be built but to be blacklisted:
>
> http://ieee1394.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Juju_Migration
>
> Following this email are two patches. The first is the change to the
> kernel configuration files to enable this stack. The second is a debdiff
> against the current module-init-tools to blacklist the new modules.
>
> Proposing this for Jaunty.
>
> Comments?
>
> -apw
>
> Andy Whitcroft (1):
> UBUNTU: enable the new firewire stack allowing parallel testing
>
> debian/config/amd64/config | 6 +++++-
> debian/config/i386/config | 6 +++++-

Makes sense to me. Config patch applied to linux. module-tools-init
3.3-pre11-4ubuntu18 uploaded.

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com