Old 12-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Tim Gardner

Default Problem with missing files in the kernel headers (2.6.28) in Jaunty

Alberto Milone wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have noticed that if I try to build the Nvidia driver in Jaunty
> with the latest kernel, Nvidia's conftest.sh fails. After making this
> test more verbose I found out that there can be something wrong with
> the headers.
>
> Nvidia's conftest.sh tries to build a file (see the attached .c file)
> and aborts the operation if this compilation test fails. In the
> attached make.log you will see the compilation command which is used
> and the compilation errors.
>
> Put simply it looks like some header files are included by a few
> files even though they don't exist (e.g. asm/param.h is included in
> linux/sched.h).
>
> Thanks in advance for your help (I hope to upload the new nvidia
> drivers soon).
>
> Regards,
>
> Alberto (aka tseliot)

The results of an IRC conversation, notably a missing include path:

<tseliot> BenC: I'm using Nvidia's makefile as usual. Nvidia's
conftest.sh tries to build the test file with cc -D__KERNEL__
-DKBUILD_BASENAME="#conftest12386" -DKBUILD_MODNAME="#conftest12386"
-nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/include
-I/lib/modules/2.6.28-1-ub-generic/build/include/asm/mach-default
-I/lib/modules/2.6.28-1-ub-generic/build/include -o conftest12386
conftest12386.c
<BenC> tseliot: looks like an nvidia bug
tseliot: it's missing -I/.../arch/x86/include
<BenC> tseliot: note, fglrx built fine with latest header packages...I
didn't test nvidia

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com