Old 11-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Andy Whitcroft

Default kerneloops Ubuntu tag

We have been discussing changing our version strings to help the kerneloops
project to determine which distro is producing which kernels. That has
complex knock on effects for our build process and for out of tree drivers
which rely on our abi model to track the current kernel.

Following this email are a couple of alternative approaches which I have
been playing with. The plan is to get something very obviously Ubuntu
related into close proximity to the version strings without having to
actually change them. The first alters the build number field, the second
modifies only the oops messages themselves.

Consider these springboards for discussion.

-apw

Andy Whitcroft (2):
UBUNTU: expose that this is an Ubuntu kernel in oops/panic messages
UBUNTU: expose that this is an Ubuntu kernel in oops/panic messages

kernel/panic.c | 7 ++++---
scripts/mkcompile_h | 2 +-

Old 11-28-2008, 06:49 AM
Stefan Bader

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> We have been discussing changing our version strings to help the kerneloops
> project to determine which distro is producing which kernels. That has
> complex knock on effects for our build process and for out of tree drivers
> which rely on our abi model to track the current kernel.
>
> Following this email are a couple of alternative approaches which I have
> been playing with. The plan is to get something very obviously Ubuntu
> related into close proximity to the version strings without having to
> actually change them. The first alters the build number field, the second
> modifies only the oops messages themselves.
>
> Consider these springboards for discussion.
>
> -apw
>
> Andy Whitcroft (2):
> UBUNTU: expose that this is an Ubuntu kernel in oops/panic messages
> UBUNTU: expose that this is an Ubuntu kernel in oops/panic messages
>
> kernel/panic.c | 7 ++++---
> scripts/mkcompile_h | 2 +-

The version changing the release number looks compelling in regard of patch
simplicity. Personylly I like the change to the message better since it only
affects the strings printed on oops, which should have a smaller overall impact.

Stefan

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!