Old 11-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Michael Krufky

Default Small fixes for Hauppauge WinTV products in hardy-lum

Please merge the following changes into ubuntu-hardy-lum. These
changesets resolve bugs: 299634, 299636, 299640, and 299671.

A similar pull request has already been sent to Michael Frey for the
Belmont project.

The following changes since commit 2903f29e43ffbf87012384a32adf44feaf242ff7:
Stefan Bader (1):
UBUNTU: Ubuntu-2.6.24-22.34

are available in the git repository at:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mkrufky/ubuntu-hardy-lum.git
master

Michael Krufky (5):
UBUNTU: au0828: add new USB IDs for HVR950Q
UBUNTU: sms1xxx: fix product name for Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick
UBUNTU: sms1xxx: Add new USB product ID for Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick
UBUNTU: sms1xxx: support two new revisions of the Hauppauge WinTV
MiniStick
UBUNTU: sms1xxx: use new firmware for Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick

ubuntu/media/au0828/au0828-cards.c | 3 +++
ubuntu/media/sms1xxx/sms-cards.c | 12 +++++++++---

Thanks in advance,

Michael Krufky
Hauppauge Computer Works.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Tim Gardner

Michael Krufky wrote:
> Please merge the following changes into ubuntu-hardy-lum. These
> changesets resolve bugs: 299634, 299636, 299640, and 299671.
>
> A similar pull request has already been sent to Michael Frey for the
> Belmont project.
>
> The following changes since commit 2903f29e43ffbf87012384a32adf44feaf242ff7:
> Stefan Bader (1):
> UBUNTU: Ubuntu-2.6.24-22.34
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>

> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mkrufky/ubuntu-hardy-lum.git
> master
>
> Michael Krufky (5):
> UBUNTU: au0828: add new USB IDs for HVR950Q
> UBUNTU: sms1xxx: fix product name for Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick
> UBUNTU: sms1xxx: Add new USB product ID for Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick
> UBUNTU: sms1xxx: support two new revisions of the Hauppauge WinTV
> MiniStick
> UBUNTU: sms1xxx: use new firmware for Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick
>
> ubuntu/media/au0828/au0828-cards.c | 3 +++
> ubuntu/media/sms1xxx/sms-cards.c | 12 +++++++++---
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Michael Krufky
> Hauppauge Computer Works.

Do you have an LP started? These patches are gonna have to go through
the SRU process, though they all look suitable. I'm too lazy to look -
where does the new firmware file sms1xxx-hcw-55xxx-dvbt-02.fw come from?

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 11-19-2008, 01:40 AM
Michael Krufky

Tim Gardner wrote:
> Michael Krufky wrote:
>
>> Please merge the following changes into ubuntu-hardy-lum. These
>> changesets resolve bugs: 299634, 299636, 299640, and 299671.
>>
>> A similar pull request has already been sent to Michael Frey for the
>> Belmont project.
>>
>> The following changes since commit 2903f29e43ffbf87012384a32adf44feaf242ff7:
>> Stefan Bader (1):
>> UBUNTU: Ubuntu-2.6.24-22.34
>>
>> are available in the git repository at:
>>

>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mkrufky/ubuntu-hardy-lum.git
>> master
>>
>> Michael Krufky (5):
>> UBUNTU: au0828: add new USB IDs for HVR950Q
>> UBUNTU: sms1xxx: fix product name for Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick
>> UBUNTU: sms1xxx: Add new USB product ID for Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick
>> UBUNTU: sms1xxx: support two new revisions of the Hauppauge WinTV
>> MiniStick
>> UBUNTU: sms1xxx: use new firmware for Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick
>>
>> ubuntu/media/au0828/au0828-cards.c | 3 +++
>> ubuntu/media/sms1xxx/sms-cards.c | 12 +++++++++---
>> 2 files changed, 12 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Michael Krufky
>> Hauppauge Computer Works.
>>

> Do you have an LP started? These patches are gonna have to go through
> the SRU process, though they all look suitable. I'm too lazy to look -
> where does the new firmware file sms1xxx-hcw-55xxx-dvbt-02.fw come from?

...an "LP" ? I'm not sure of the terminology.

The sms1xxx-hcw-55xxx-dvbt-02.fw replaces the previous firmware image
(sms1xxx-hcw-55xxx-dvbt-01.fw). I already provided this image to
Michael Frey under the same license as the older firmware file. I
understand that there might be a process for that to be distributed, but
users can download it from steventoth.net in the meanwhile:

http://steventoth.net/linux/sms1xxx/sms1xxx-hcw-55xxx-dvbt-02.fw

...if you have reservations about the firmware change, then please feel
free to pull all changesets except for the topmost changeset, which
changes the driver to use the -02 firmware instead of -01.

The firmware change is backwards-compatible. The new firmware addresses
some tuning issues in certain areas and also allows the devices to pass
regulatory tests, based on certain regional requirements.

I'm not sure what needs to be done as far as SRU -- these are changesets
that will be merged into the Belmont image. It is simply the addition
of some new USB IDs. As agreed between Hauppauge, Dell and Canonical,
we are trying to keep Hardy mainstream in sync with all of the driver
changes that Hauppauge is providing for the Belmont project.

We want users of Ubuntu proper to benefit from all of the same changes
that are going into the Belmont project with regards to the Hauppauge TV
tuner sticks.

Please also note that these drivers currently only support Hauppauge
sticks -- We have already gone through regression testing to verify that
the previously supported sticks are unaffected by the changes.

These changesets (all except for the firmware update) are already in
intrepid, as well as the 2.6.27.y stable kernel series and 2.6.28-rc.

Please let me know what other information you need in order to move
ahead with the merge.

Regards,

Mike Krufky

Old 11-19-2008, 07:18 AM
Stefan Bader

Hi Michael,

long time no see. (on #ubuntu-kernel)

Michael Krufky wrote:
>>> changesets resolve bugs: 299634, 299636, 299640, and 299671.

That is actually what Tim meant with LP (LaunchPad bugs which will be used to
track the changes)

>>> A similar pull request has already been sent to Michael Frey for the
>>> Belmont project.
>>>
>>> The following changes since commit 2903f29e43ffbf87012384a32adf44feaf242ff7:
>>> Stefan Bader (1):
>>> UBUNTU: Ubuntu-2.6.24-22.34
>>>
>>> are available in the git repository at:
>>>

>>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mkrufky/ubuntu-hardy-lum.git
>>> master
>>>
>>> Michael Krufky (5):
>>> UBUNTU: au0828: add new USB IDs for HVR950Q
>>> UBUNTU: sms1xxx: fix product name for Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick
>>> UBUNTU: sms1xxx: Add new USB product ID for Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick
>>> UBUNTU: sms1xxx: support two new revisions of the Hauppauge WinTV
>>> MiniStick
>>> UBUNTU: sms1xxx: use new firmware for Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick
>>>
>>> ubuntu/media/au0828/au0828-cards.c | 3 +++
>>> ubuntu/media/sms1xxx/sms-cards.c | 12 +++++++++---
>>> 2 files changed, 12 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)
>>>

>> Do you have an LP started? These patches are gonna have to go through
>> the SRU process, though they all look suitable. I'm too lazy to look -
>> where does the new firmware file sms1xxx-hcw-55xxx-dvbt-02.fw come from?
>
> ...an "LP" ? I'm not sure of the terminology.
>

> The sms1xxx-hcw-55xxx-dvbt-02.fw replaces the previous firmware image
> (sms1xxx-hcw-55xxx-dvbt-01.fw). I already provided this image to
> Michael Frey under the same license as the older firmware file. I
> understand that there might be a process for that to be distributed, but
> users can download it from steventoth.net in the meanwhile:
>
> http://steventoth.net/linux/sms1xxx/sms1xxx-hcw-55xxx-dvbt-02.fw
>
> ...if you have reservations about the firmware change, then please feel

This is not so much about the change but the fact that we were looking for
information about several firmware files lately and had a hard time to find out
which license those actually use. Especially the v4l firmwares were a bit, hm,
lets say undetermined in that way. So the question would be, do you have a
license file that states the origin and whether the files are redistributable.

Regards,
Stefan

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!

Old 11-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Michael Krufky

Stefan Bader wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> long time no see. (on #ubuntu-kernel)

> That is actually what Tim meant with LP (LaunchPad bugs which will be
> used to track the changes)

Ah, good -- So then I already have this done :-)

>>> Do you have an LP started? These patches are gonna have to go through
>>> the SRU process, though they all look suitable. I'm too lazy to look -
>>> where does the new firmware file sms1xxx-hcw-55xxx-dvbt-02.fw come
>>> from?
>>
>> ...an "LP" ? I'm not sure of the terminology.
>>

>> The sms1xxx-hcw-55xxx-dvbt-02.fw replaces the previous firmware image
>> (sms1xxx-hcw-55xxx-dvbt-01.fw). I already provided this image to
>> Michael Frey under the same license as the older firmware file. I
>> understand that there might be a process for that to be distributed,
>> but users can download it from steventoth.net in the meanwhile:
>>
>> http://steventoth.net/linux/sms1xxx/sms1xxx-hcw-55xxx-dvbt-02.fw
>>
>> ...if you have reservations about the firmware change, then please feel
>
> This is not so much about the change but the fact that we were looking
> for information about several firmware files lately and had a hard
> time to find out which license those actually use. Especially the v4l
> firmwares were a bit, hm, lets say undetermined in that way. So the
> question would be, do you have a license file that states the origin
> and whether the files are redistributable.

Yes, I can provide such license. At this time, I am only requesting to
change the kernel modules, and I was not yet submitting the firmware
image for distribution in mainstream Ubuntu. Since Ubuntu is not
distributing the old firmware image either, I did not see this to be an
issue.

Michael Frey already has both the old firmware and the new firmware, and
a license agreement as provided by Hauppauge during summer '08. I can
provide these files to you as well, but it shouldn't hold up the LUM
changesets.

Can we take care of firmware distribution in a separate step?

Old 11-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Tim Gardner

Michael Krufky wrote:

>> That is actually what Tim meant with LP (LaunchPad bugs which will be
>> used to track the changes)
>
> Ah, good -- So then I already have this done :-)

D'oh! I just missed the first line where you clearly stated the LP
numbers. Sorry for the confusion.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com