Old 10-14-2008, 11:58 AM
"realKano@directbox.com"

Default uvcvideo (webcam) support for COMPAL JHL90 based laptops

Just a new section with the correct id needed as you see in the patch.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:18 PM
"Amit Kucheria"

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 12:58 AM, realKano@directbox.com
<realKano@directbox.com> wrote:
> Just a new section with the correct id needed as you see in the patch.

Could you please add a Signed-off line to the patch or provide a URL
where you found the patch originally? I'll then pull it in.

We would like to know where code into the kernel comes from.

Regards,
Amit

Old 11-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Laurent Pinchart

Hi Amit,

I've noticed by sheer luck that the Ubuntu 8.10 linux-image-2.6.27-7 packages
include a patch to the uvcvideo driver to support webcam modules integrated
into Compal JHL90 laptops.

Is there a reason why the patch hasn't been pushed upstream ? Being the
uvcvideo author and maintainer, I'd appreciate if you could forward patches
related to the driver in the future.

On a pure technical note, the patch might not be required with the current
uvcvideo driver version. There is no way to confirm this without testing the
driver with that particular webcam model, so I'd appreciate if you could
contact the patch author and check with him if his camera works with the
latest uvcvideo driver (available from http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/).

Best regards,

Laurent Pinchart

Old 11-13-2008, 05:49 PM
"Amit Kucheria"

Joerg,

I recall that you were going to push this patch upstream. Could you
please test the latest uvcvideo driver with the Compal HW and let us
know if this patch is still required? If so, I'll push it upstream for
you.

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart@skynet.be> wrote:
> Hi Amit,
>
> I've noticed by sheer luck that the Ubuntu 8.10 linux-image-2.6.27-7 packages
> include a patch to the uvcvideo driver to support webcam modules integrated
> into Compal JHL90 laptops.
>
> Is there a reason why the patch hasn't been pushed upstream ? Being the
> uvcvideo author and maintainer, I'd appreciate if you could forward patches
> related to the driver in the future.

Laurent: The patch would have gone out in a week or so when our git
tree is cleaned and rebased for the next release. We try to ensure
that the patch authors are making some efforts to upstream it, but
there is no way to ensure it until we go through our accumulated patch
list at the end of a release cycle.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Laurent Pinchart

Hi Amit,

On Thursday 13 November 2008, Amit Kucheria wrote:
> Joerg,
>
> I recall that you were going to push this patch upstream. Could you
> please test the latest uvcvideo driver with the Compal HW and let us
> know if this patch is still required? If so, I'll push it upstream for
> you.
>
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Laurent Pinchart
>
> <laurent.pinchart@skynet.be> wrote:
> > Hi Amit,
> >
> > I've noticed by sheer luck that the Ubuntu 8.10 linux-image-2.6.27-7
> > packages include a patch to the uvcvideo driver to support webcam modules
> > integrated into Compal JHL90 laptops.
> >
> > Is there a reason why the patch hasn't been pushed upstream ? Being the
> > uvcvideo author and maintainer, I'd appreciate if you could forward
> > patches related to the driver in the future.
>
> Laurent: The patch would have gone out in a week or so when our git
> tree is cleaned and rebased for the next release. We try to ensure
> that the patch authors are making some efforts to upstream it, but
> there is no way to ensure it until we go through our accumulated patch
> list at the end of a release cycle.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not familiar with the Ubuntu release cycles
and procedures for pushing patches upstream, so I wanted to make sure the
driver shipped with Ubuntu wouldn't diverge. Feel free to CC me if you
discuss uvcvideo-related patches on the mailing list in the future.

> > On a pure technical note, the patch might not be required with the
> > current uvcvideo driver version. There is no way to confirm this without
> > testing the driver with that particular webcam model, so I'd appreciate
> > if you could contact the patch author and check with him if his camera
> > works with the latest uvcvideo driver (available from
> > http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/).

Best regards,

Laurent Pinchart

Old 11-14-2008, 01:24 PM
"Amit Kucheria"

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart@skynet.be> wrote:
> Hi Jörg,
>
> On Friday 14 November 2008, realKano@directbox.com wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I tested it on the target laptop with a new hg snapshot of uvcvideo. There
>> no patch was needed anymore. When I tested it first there was definitely no
>> /dev/video0. Btw. it is not my laptop, so I had to wait till the user came
>> back with it. I did not test 2.6.28 or so, because the U git does not
>> compile for me.
>
> Thanks for testing the hg snapshot. As the driver now works without the patch
> there is no need to push it upstream. The necessary changes will be
> integrated in 2.6.29 at which point the patch should probably be dropped from
> the Ubuntu kernel.

Thanks for the update Laurent.