Old 12-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Andres Freund

Default stray mappings left behind by xfs make xen kernels crash -> appropriate for gutsy?

Hi,

after reading through https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates I think
that bug 164904 is appropriate for gutsy.
Problem:
- XFS delays vunmap and leaves stale mappings. This is considered wrong even
in normal kernel. But as Xen uses those mappings memory corruption can occur

Why I think its appropriate for gutsy
- It causes, sometimes silent, data-corruption and crashes
- Hard to diagnose as the backtraces are quite random
- Obviously correct fix, as the fix is the fallback currently used in tight
memory conditions.
- Patch is applied upstream

Any other Information needed?

Greetings,

Andres

PS: Could you CC me as Im not subscribed?
PPS: The thread about it at lkml: http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/12/298

Old 12-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Ben Collins

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 15:26 +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after reading through https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates I think
> that bug 164904 is appropriate for gutsy.
> Problem:
> - XFS delays vunmap and leaves stale mappings. This is considered wrong even
> in normal kernel. But as Xen uses those mappings memory corruption can occur
>
> Why I think its appropriate for gutsy
> - It causes, sometimes silent, data-corruption and crashes
> - Hard to diagnose as the backtraces are quite random
> - Obviously correct fix, as the fix is the fallback currently used in tight
> memory conditions.
> - Patch is applied upstream
>
> Any other Information needed?

Just append this information to the bug. The patch (or better yet the
commit ID from upstream) as well. And vote it in for gutsy.

--
Ubuntu : http://www.ubuntu.com/
Linux1394: http://wiki.linux1394.org/