Old 07-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Stefan Bader

Default SRU consideration for LP#218087

SRU justfication:

Impact: Some tablets do not work right out of the box (rather weak)...

Fix: Backport driver from Intrepid/Upstream. Patch is attached. Changes
are not too big but big enough to make the kABI bump. Yuck. Everything
contained within the four driver files. Possibly only makes sense when
other changes would bump the kABI anyways. Additional benefit, the patch
adds some suspend/resume code.

Testcase: Try to use the mentioned Bamboo device. Won't be found in
Hardy but wil be in Intrepid.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Tim Gardner

Stefan Bader wrote:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/218087
>
> SRU justfication:
>
> Impact: Some tablets do not work right out of the box (rather weak)...
>
> Fix: Backport driver from Intrepid/Upstream. Patch is attached. Changes
> are not too big but big enough to make the kABI bump. Yuck. Everything
> contained within the four driver files. Possibly only makes sense when
> other changes would bump the kABI anyways. Additional benefit, the patch
> adds some suspend/resume code.
>
> Testcase: Try to use the mentioned Bamboo device. Won't be found in
> Hardy but wil be in Intrepid.

In general this doesn't look too bad, though there might be
possibilities for regressions. Does this patch have any mileage on it?
I'm pretty sure doko has one of these wacom tablets on a Thinkpad,
though I'm not sure its a bamboo device. He could at least test for
regressions.

The ABI bump is fine since there are already a couple of ABI bumpers in
the SRU queue.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@ubuntu.com

Old 07-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Stefan Bader

Tim Gardner wrote:
> Stefan Bader wrote:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/218087
>>
>> SRU justfication:
>>
>> Impact: Some tablets do not work right out of the box (rather weak)...
>>
>> Fix: Backport driver from Intrepid/Upstream. Patch is attached. Changes
>> are not too big but big enough to make the kABI bump. Yuck. Everything
>> contained within the four driver files. Possibly only makes sense when
>> other changes would bump the kABI anyways. Additional benefit, the patch
>> adds some suspend/resume code.
>>
>> Testcase: Try to use the mentioned Bamboo device. Won't be found in
>> Hardy but wil be in Intrepid.
>>

> In general this doesn't look too bad, though there might be
> possibilities for regressions. Does this patch have any mileage on it?
> I'm pretty sure doko has one of these wacom tablets on a Thinkpad,
> though I'm not sure its a bamboo device. He could at least test for
> regressions.

Not much of testing in the report. I asked whether there is more.

Doko: Do you have that HW (or at least anything that uses the wacom driver?)

Old 07-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Matthias Klose

Stefan Bader schrieb:
> Tim Gardner wrote:
>> Stefan Bader wrote:
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/218087
>>>
>>> SRU justfication:
>>>
>>> Impact: Some tablets do not work right out of the box (rather weak)...
>>>
>>> Fix: Backport driver from Intrepid/Upstream. Patch is attached. Changes
>>> are not too big but big enough to make the kABI bump. Yuck. Everything
>>> contained within the four driver files. Possibly only makes sense when
>>> other changes would bump the kABI anyways. Additional benefit, the patch
>>> adds some suspend/resume code.
>>>
>>> Testcase: Try to use the mentioned Bamboo device. Won't be found in
>>> Hardy but wil be in Intrepid.
>>>
>> In general this doesn't look too bad, though there might be
>> possibilities for regressions. Does this patch have any mileage on it?
>> I'm pretty sure doko has one of these wacom tablets on a Thinkpad,
>> though I'm not sure its a bamboo device. He could at least test for
>> regressions.
>>
> Not much of testing in the report. I asked whether there is more.
>
> Doko: Do you have that HW (or at least anything that uses the wacom driver?)

I can test on a X61 Tablet PC, if wanted (to see if this one still works); don't
own other wacom hw.

Matthias

Old 07-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Stefan Bader

Matthias Klose wrote:
> Stefan Bader schrieb:
>> Tim Gardner wrote:

>>> In general this doesn't look too bad, though there might be
>>> possibilities for regressions. Does this patch have any mileage on it?
>>> I'm pretty sure doko has one of these wacom tablets on a Thinkpad,
>>> though I'm not sure its a bamboo device. He could at least test for
>>> regressions.
>>>
>> Not much of testing in the report. I asked whether there is more.
>>
>> Doko: Do you have that HW (or at least anything that uses the wacom driver?)
>
> I can test on a X61 Tablet PC, if wanted (to see if this one still works); don't
> own other wacom hw.
>
> Matthias

There is a replacement kernel (with the new wacom driver and some
printk's for another problem at http://people.ubuntu.com/~smb/bug191137.
If you could test whether this still works, taht would be great. Thanks!

Stefan