Old 06-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Alberto Milone

Default WIP NVIDIA packages for Intrepid (tseliot)

Dear Ben,

these are the links to the source code of my WIP NVIDIA packages (for
the 4 flavours) which you requested:

1) nvidia-graphics-drivers:
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers_177.13.orig.tar.gz
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers_177.13-0ubuntu1.diff.gz
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers_177.13-0ubuntu1.dsc
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers_177.13-0ubuntu1_source.changes
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers_177.13-0ubuntu1_source.build

2) nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-173xx:
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-173xx_173.14.09.orig.tar.gz
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-173xx_173.14.09-0ubuntu1.diff.gz
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-173xx_173.14.09-0ubuntu1.dsc
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-173xx_173.14.09-0ubuntu1_source.changes
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-173xx_173.14.09-0ubuntu1_source.build

3) nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-96xx:
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-96xx_96.43.05.orig.tar.gz
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-96xx_96.43.05-0ubuntu1.diff.gz
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-96xx_96.43.05-0ubuntu1.dsc
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-96xx_96.43.05-0ubuntu1_source.changes
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-96xx_96.43.05-0ubuntu1_source.build

4) nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-71xx:
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-71xx_71.86.04.orig.tar.gz
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-71xx_71.86.04-0ubuntu1.diff.gz
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-71xx_71.86.04-0ubuntu1.dsc
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-71xx_71.86.04-0ubuntu1_source.changes
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/newlrm/new/nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-71xx_71.86.04-0ubuntu1_source.build

I haven't finished the control files therefore I suggest you to follow
these instructions so as to install only
the nvidia-$(flavour)-kernel-source package (which is the one that
builds the kernel module):

1) install the linux-headers for your kernel
2) build the packages (a simple "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot" will be
enough)
3) install the nvidia-$(flavour)-kernel-source package and its
dependencies

This package will try to build the kernel module with dkms. If the build
fails, DKMS will tell you where you can find the log
(/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/your_driver_version/build/make.log).

NOTE-1: the patches which I'm using are in "debian.binary/patches" as
usual.

NOTE-2: none of the 4 flavours builds with Intrepid's kernel (since it's
Xen-enabled). They do build with Hardy's Xen kernel though (thanks to
the patches which I have included).

I look forward to seeing you patches.

Thanks in advance,

Alberto Milone (aka tseliot)

Old 06-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Mario Limonciello

Ben,

Will Intrepid's kernel "stay" Xen enabled?* Is there a good way to tell
if a kernel was Xen enabled when compiling against headers, say
checking for the existence of a particular header file?

Regards

--

Mario Limonciello

Dell | Linux
Engineering

mario_limonciello@dell.com

Old 06-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Alberto Milone

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 15:31 -0500, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> Ben,
>
> Will Intrepid's kernel "stay" Xen enabled? Is there a good way to
> tell if a kernel was Xen enabled when compiling against headers, say
> checking for the existence of a particular header file?
>
> Regards

This command doesn't concern the headers but it should work:

grep CONFIG_XEN=y /boot/$(uname)

Regards,

Alberto

Old 06-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Mario Limonciello

Alberto,

So am I to understand Xen is part of 2.6.26 a'la kernel.org? If that's
the case, we might just need to bug AMD/NVIDIA for proper support in the
drivers.

Regards

--
Mario Limonciello
*Dell | Linux Engineering*

Old 06-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Alberto Milone

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 18:33 +0200, Alberto Milone wrote:
> This package will try to build the kernel module with dkms. If the
> build
> fails, DKMS will tell you where you can find the log
> (/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/your_driver_version/build/make.log).

Ben,

I forgot to add the following details which might help you testing:

1) if you install the nvidia-kernel-source the kernel module will be
built only for your current kernel. If you want to build the module for
other kernels - without having to boot into them - you can specify the
kernel version in DKMS in the following way:

sudo dkms build -m nvidia -v driver_version -k kernel_version

e.g. sudo dkms build -m nvidia -v 177.13 -k 2.6.26-1-generic

2) The command which I DKMS uses to build the module (in the dkms.conf)
is the same as the one used in the old lrm:

make module KERNDIR=/lib/modules/$kernelver IGNORE_XEN_PRESENCE=1
IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 SYSSRC=$kernel_source_dir

Regards,

Alberto

Old 06-21-2008, 01:09 AM
Ben Collins

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 15:31 -0500, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> Ben,
>
> Will Intrepid's kernel "stay" Xen enabled? Is there a good way to
> tell if a kernel was Xen enabled when compiling against headers, say
> checking for the existence of a particular header file?

#ifdef CONFIG_XEN

Old 06-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Alberto Milone

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 09:28 +0200, Alberto Milone wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 18:33 +0200, Alberto Milone wrote:
> > This package will try to build the kernel module with dkms. If the
> > build
> > fails, DKMS will tell you where you can find the log
> > (/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/your_driver_version/build/make.log).

Ben,

I managed to solve the problem myself by tricking nv.c and nv-linux.h
into thinking that they should look for ALB_CONFIG instead of
XEN_CONFIG.

I have installed Intrepid's kernel in Hardy and tried both the latest
stable driver and the beta driver and they both build and work well:

:~$ uname -r
2.6.26-2-generic

:~$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

:~$ dmesg | grep NVIDIA
[ 141.739966] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
[ 143.355221] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 177.13 Tue
Jun 10 16:45:17 PDT 2008

:~$ grep CONFIG_XEN=y /boot/config-`uname -r`
CONFIG_XEN=y

In other words, PROBLEM SOLVED.

Regards,

Alberto