-   -   HVR950Q driver for LUM (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/109402-hvr950q-driver-lum.html)

Michael Krufky 06-18-2008 11:37 PM

HVR950Q driver for LUM

Please merge the following patch into LUM:

http://linuxtv.org/~mkrufky/lum/add-hvr950q-to-lum.patch

I could not include it in this email due to its size.

The xc5000 driver requires a firmware image. Firmware extraction
instructions are located at:

http://steventoth.net/linux/xc5000/

The details of having Ubuntu ship this firmware is a work in progress.

These new modules are added in upstream 2.6.26, but there are new USB id's that likely wont be merged until 2.6.27:

2040:721f = Dell Digital TV Receiver
2040:7280 = Dell Digital TV Receiver

Regards,

Michael Krufky

Stefan Bader 06-20-2008 08:39 AM

HVR950Q driver for LUM

Michael Krufky wrote:
> Please merge the following patch into LUM:
>
> http://linuxtv.org/~mkrufky/lum/add-hvr950q-to-lum.patch
>
> I could not include it in this email due to its size.
>
> The xc5000 driver requires a firmware image. Firmware extraction
> instructions are located at:
>
> http://steventoth.net/linux/xc5000/
>
> The details of having Ubuntu ship this firmware is a work in progress.
>
> These new modules are added in upstream 2.6.26, but there are new USB id's that likely wont be merged until 2.6.27:
>
> 2040:721f = Dell Digital TV Receiver
> 2040:7280 = Dell Digital TV Receiver
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael Krufky

I reviewed the patches and found no ID clashes and also licensing looks
ok to me (all GPL V2++, except compat.h which has no specific license).
The modules compile (at least on x86). The only thing that is slightly
unclear are two -I statements in the drivers makefile which possibly
have no effect. But that is not causing any problems.
I got the patch integrated in my lum working git and could proceed with
an SRU (including a lp bug report to go with that, I suppose).

SRU justification:

Impact: Certain DVB boards are not supported in Hardy.

Fix: Driver will be added to LUM as additional driver modules. The IDs
are unique. No degredation should be expected.

Testcase: Without the new modules the following cards will not work:
{ USB_DEVICE(0x2040, 0x7200),
.driver_info = AU0828_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR950Q },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x2040, 0x7240),
.driver_info = AU0828_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR850 },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x2040, 0x7210),
.driver_info = AU0828_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR950Q },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x2040, 0x7217),
.driver_info = AU0828_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR950Q },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x2040, 0x721b),
.driver_info = AU0828_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR950Q },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0fd9, 0x0008),
.driver_info = AU0828_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR950Q },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x2040, 0x721f),
.driver_info = AU0828_BOARD_DELL_HVR950Q },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x2040, 0x7280),
.driver_info = AU0828_BOARD_DELL_HVR950Q },

Michael Krufky 06-20-2008 12:38 PM

HVR950Q driver for LUM

Stefan,

Stefan Bader wrote:

> > I reviewed the patches and found no ID clashes and also licensing looks
> > ok to me (all GPL V2++, except compat.h which has no specific license).
> > The modules compile (at least on x86). The only thing that is slightly
> > unclear are two -I statements in the drivers makefile which possibly
> > have no effect. But that is not causing any problems.

Ah, that would be these two lines:

+EXTRA_CFLAGS += -Imedia/au8522
+EXTRA_CFLAGS += -Imedia/xc5000

...I was originally trying to provide the au8522 and xc5000 modules in
separate directories, but I was having a hard time getting a file in
media/au0828 to #include a header in media/au8522 or media/xc5000.

In the end, I decided to just put all the modules together in one
directory -- those two -I statements can be removed now.

> > I got the patch integrated in my lum working git and could proceed with
> > an SRU (including a lp bug report to go with that, I suppose).

Thank you :-)

> > SRU justification:
> >
> > Impact: Certain DVB boards are not supported in Hardy.
> >
> > Fix: Driver will be added to LUM as additional driver modules. The IDs
> > are unique. No degredation should be expected.
> >
> > Testcase: Without the new modules the following cards will not work:
> > { USB_DEVICE(0x2040, 0x7200),
> > .driver_info = AU0828_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR950Q },
> > { USB_DEVICE(0x2040, 0x7240),
> > .driver_info = AU0828_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR850 },
> > { USB_DEVICE(0x2040, 0x7210),
> > .driver_info = AU0828_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR950Q },
> > { USB_DEVICE(0x2040, 0x7217),
> > .driver_info = AU0828_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR950Q },
> > { USB_DEVICE(0x2040, 0x721b),
> > .driver_info = AU0828_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR950Q },
> > { USB_DEVICE(0x0fd9, 0x0008),
> > .driver_info = AU0828_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR950Q },
> > { USB_DEVICE(0x2040, 0x721f),
> > .driver_info = AU0828_BOARD_DELL_HVR950Q },
> > { USB_DEVICE(0x2040, 0x7280),
> > .driver_info = AU0828_BOARD_DELL_HVR950Q },

Regards,

Mike Krufky