Old 06-13-2008, 07:20 AM
"Wang, Yong Y"

Default SRU request for LP#239666

SRU justification:

Impact: Current 64 bit MCE reporting code in Hardy 2.6.24 kernel
hardcodes bank limitation as 6 and this is not an issue for processors
with <=6 MCE banks. But for latest processors, e.g. Dunnington, with
more than 6 MCE banks, additional MCE banks available in processor
hardware are not enabled to record hardware error information which is
extremely helpful for diagnostics.

For those who do not know what MCA & MCE are, here are some nice
documents:
1. http://one.firstfloor.org/~andi/mce.pdf
2. kernel-source-dir/Documentation/x86_64/machinecheck

Original patch can be found at http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/8/412.

Fix is available below:

The following changes since commit
cafcac43a64ef93b5929ec8d88103761862474d2:
Amit Kucheria (1):
UBUNTU: LPIA: More conservative culling of LPIA config

are available in the git repository at:

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ywang/ubuntu-hardy.git master

Yong Wang (1):
UBUNTU: x86: Remove 6 bank limitation in 64 bit MCE reporting code

arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/mce_64.c | 20 ++++++++++++--------

-Yong

Old 06-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Tim Gardner

Wang, Yong Y wrote:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/239666
>
> SRU justification:
>
> Impact: Current 64 bit MCE reporting code in Hardy 2.6.24 kernel
> hardcodes bank limitation as 6 and this is not an issue for processors
> with <=6 MCE banks. But for latest processors, e.g. Dunnington, with
> more than 6 MCE banks, additional MCE banks available in processor
> hardware are not enabled to record hardware error information which is
> extremely helpful for diagnostics.
>
> For those who do not know what MCA & MCE are, here are some nice
> documents:
> 1. http://one.firstfloor.org/~andi/mce.pdf
> 2. kernel-source-dir/Documentation/x86_64/machinecheck
>
> Original patch can be found at http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/8/412.
>
> Fix is available below:
>
> The following changes since commit
> cafcac43a64ef93b5929ec8d88103761862474d2:
> Amit Kucheria (1):
> UBUNTU: LPIA: More conservative culling of LPIA config
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ywang/ubuntu-hardy.git master
>
> Yong Wang (1):
> UBUNTU: x86: Remove 6 bank limitation in 64 bit MCE reporting code
>
> arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/mce_64.c | 20 ++++++++++++--------
>
> -Yong

I notice that this disappeared from your git repository. I was also
reviewing the upstream discussion, and I don't think this issue is
completely resolved.

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@ubuntu.com

Old 06-20-2008, 12:03 AM
"Wang, Yong Y"

Oh, it is now in git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ywang/ubuntu-hardy-mca.git master.
I met some problems when working on my git tree as indicated by Amit's email.
What part of the issue do you think is not completely resolved yet?

-Yong

Old 06-20-2008, 02:37 AM
Tim Gardner

Wang, Yong Y wrote:
> [...]

Peter Anvin's comment in that thread was that he would like to see a
symmetrical implementation, e.g., support in mce_32.c as well as mce_64.c.

Even though Ingo queued the 64 bit patch, it has yet to land in Linus'
tree, so I would like to wait and see what the final patch looks like.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@ubuntu.com

Old 06-20-2008, 02:49 AM
"Wang, Yong Y"

mce_32.c was written by Alan Cox and it does not have the hardcoded limitation problem.
However, mce_64.c was re-ritten by Andi Kleen several years ago and that introduced the
problem we are trying to solve here. I don't think there will be a symmetrical implementation
because the 32 bit code needs to handle a lot of legacy stuff.

-Yong