Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Stefan Bader

Default SRU request for LP#238118

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/linux/+bug/238118

SRU justification:

Impact: Hard lockups when doing heavy (IMO just higher) I/O load. The
reason is that dma_get_required_mask returns a wrong value and thus the
memory management will get confused.
(Bit of a guess but adapter will use 32bit DMA mask instead of 39bit
which it should use. So probably memory areas won't be used and other
areas not freed because there are still free ones)

Fix: From upstream (in Intrepid) will remove the limit to the current
dma mask when actually the new limit is required.

Testcase: From kernel bug report it was sufficient to do a gzip which
hung within a few minutes.

Note: this change would also apply to Gutsy. Should changes go to both?
Not really a security issue...

Old 06-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Tim Gardner

Stefan Bader wrote:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/linux/+bug/238118
>
> SRU justification:
>
> Impact: Hard lockups when doing heavy (IMO just higher) I/O load. The
> reason is that dma_get_required_mask returns a wrong value and thus the
> memory management will get confused.
> (Bit of a guess but adapter will use 32bit DMA mask instead of 39bit
> which it should use. So probably memory areas won't be used and other
> areas not freed because there are still free ones)
>
> Fix: From upstream (in Intrepid) will remove the limit to the current
> dma mask when actually the new limit is required.
>
> Testcase: From kernel bug report it was sufficient to do a gzip which
> hung within a few minutes.
>
> Note: this change would also apply to Gutsy. Should changes go to both?
> Not really a security issue...

ACK for both Hardy and Gutsy.

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@ubuntu.com