-   Ubuntu Education (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-education/)
-   -   Problems with Edubuntu thin client setup in school... (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-education/541194-problems-edubuntu-thin-client-setup-school.html)

Leena 06-18-2011 03:15 AM

Problems with Edubuntu thin client setup in school...

Hi,

We are trying to setup Edubuntu 10.04 in school and get
image on thin client machines. Edubuntu installation on
server and LTSP installation goes fine.

When try to connect client machines doesn't go beyond
connection window and shows blank screen. Details of the
setup and hardware and changes we have done so far are
listed below......sorry it's a long mail.....this issue is
very urgent for us and hoping that someone would have done
similar setup or have come across similar issues might able
to help us....

questions: After the setup on server, as for client machines
we are unable to receive response when we ping clients IP
from server (client machine, server and hub are on). How
to check if dhcp is running?

*** *** *** *** on most documentations on
net I have read for thin client setup they change
network/interfaces file and connection to 'STATIC' instead
of

'dynamic' is it required?

Details:

Hardware used:

Server-HCL computer-2GB RAM, 160GB Hard disk, two network cards

Clients: connected to 10 Thin Clients connected to server on LAN, no
Internet connection here. Client machines has connection
window-Winbee connection manager for login.

What we did so far:

Installed Edubuntu 10.04 on server. After it was over when the
pop-up appears for restart now or continue testing (to install
LTSP).

At that we clicked on 'Continue Testing'- as we wanted to install
LTSP (Linux Terminal Server)

For network connection eth0 was shown as used, so we selected-eth1
here.

after LTSP was configured we did reboot computer, and made couple of
changes to config files as follows

Enabled the XDMCP Server by (using N-XDMCP connection type on clients for connection)
copied usr/share/custom.conf file to /etc/gdm/custom.conf and added below lines below [xdmcp] option.

[xdmcp]
Enable=true
DisplaysPerHost=2

[chooser]

[security]

[debug]

Restart GDM

Then edited our interfaces file: /etc/network/interfaces to
following

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

auto eth1

iface eth1 inet static

* address 192.168.0.254

* netmask 255.255.255.0

* broadcast 192.168.0.255

and finally the /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf *** dhcpd.conf file to
following

#

# Default LTSP dhcpd.conf config file.

#

authoritative;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

*** range 192.168.0.20 192.168.0.250;

*** option domain-name "example.com";

*** option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;

*** option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;

*** option routers 192.168.0.254;

#*** next-server 192.168.0.1;

#*** get-lease-hostnames true;

*** option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;

*** option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";

*** if substring( option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9 ) =
"PXEClient" {

******* filename "ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";

*** } else {

******* filename "ltsp/i386/nbi.img";

*** }

}

rebooted the server.

and in client machines, added connection at 'Winbee connection
Manager'- (HCL client comes with these)

Configuring/Setting up HCL Winbees-4000BVX Thin
Clients
for new OS connection, add connection.on top there are two
options,

1. configuration

Name:connection name here (EDubuntu)

Type:N-XDMCP* click-ok

Description → Edubuntu

Mode → Direct

Server Name → 192.168.0.254

XDMCP on → Second Console

2. connection:click on setup to add Network to check ip address
for client

save. and reboot clients.

After rebooting client machine, when I select my newly added
'Edubutu' connection and click 'connect'. It shows blank screen
with white mouse cross mark.

The link here: http://www.edubuntu.org/documentation/ltsp-live-
at the very bottom of page says " you simply have to set the
connected workstations to boot from the network.* by going into
BIOS". we haven't done that as hcl clients has Winbee manager to
go thr' connection process. Not sure if we should have really.

Can anybody give any clues to what might have gone wrong?

Thanks,

--

Leena Mulye

Technical Project Associate

IT for Change

In special consultative status with the United
Nations ECOSOC

www.ITforChange.net

Tel:+91-80-2665 4134, 2653 6890. Fax:+91-80-4146
1055

Have

you heard about the free and open source software Visit http://www.public-software.in/

Jeff 06-18-2011 10:43 AM

Problems with Edubuntu thin client setup in school...

On 18 Jun 2011, at 5:15 AM, Leena wrote:Hi,

We are trying to setup Edubuntu 10.04 in school and get image on thin client machines. Edubuntu installation on server and LTSP installation goes fine.
When try to connect client machines doesn't go beyond connection window and shows blank screen. Details of the setup and hardware and changes we have done so far are listed below......sorry it's a long mail.....this issue is very urgent for us and hoping that someone would have done similar setup or have come across similar issues might able to help us....

questions: After the setup on server, as for client machines we are unable to receive response when we ping clients IP from server (client machine, server and hub are on).*How to check if dhcp is running?

ps -A | grep dhcp

** * * * * * * *on most documentations on net I have read for thin client setup they change network/interfaces file and connection to 'STATIC' instead of*
'dynamic' is it required?

Details:

Hardware used:*
Server-HCL computer-2GB RAM, 160GB Hard disk, two network cards
Clients: connected to 10 Thin Clients connected to server on LAN, no Internet connection here. Client machines has connection window-Winbee connection manager for login.

What we did so far:*
Installed Edubuntu 10.04 on server. After it was over when the pop-up appears for restart now or continue testing (to install LTSP).
At that we clicked on 'Continue Testing'- as we wanted to install LTSP (Linux Terminal Server)
For network connection eth0 was shown as used, so we selected-eth1 here.*

How many network interfaces do you have?
I noticed when I installed 11.04 last week (for the first time) that it defaulted to eth1. I knew that I only had one interface, so I set it to eth0 and everything went better than expected. :)

<itfc_logo.png>

--*
ubuntu-education mailing list
ubuntu-education@lists.ubuntu.com

--Jeff Brown
Tel:+27-74-101 5170Fax:+27-86-532 3508www.wildcoast.co.za

Leena 06-20-2011 11:04 AM

Problems with Edubuntu thin client setup in school...

Thanks Jeff,

We have two network interfaces eth0 and 1,

Moreover would like to use Edubuntu 11.04 as it comes with many
educational software. When I tried installing Edubuntu 11.04 it took
lot of time without success.

Server already have Windows 2003 , Red Hat

and while installing Edubuntu, (had to use manual partitioning as
earier EDubuntu 10.04 was there) it got stuck at step where it kept
saying "removing conflicting files ...." and was at that for 40-45
mins. I had to reboot and installed 10.04 then.

Does Ebubuntu 11.04 takes this long for installation and
partitioning? Did I miss anything?

Thanks,

Leena

We are trying to setup Edubuntu 10.04 in school
and get image on thin client machines. Edubuntu
installation on server and LTSP installation goes
fine.

When try to connect client machines doesn't go
beyond connection window and shows blank screen.
Details of the setup and hardware and changes we
have done so far are listed below......sorry it's
a long mail.....this issue is very urgent for us
and hoping that someone would have done similar
setup or have come across similar issues might
able to help us....

questions: After the setup on server, as for
client machines we are unable to receive response
when we ping clients IP from server (client
machine, server and hub are on).*How
to check if dhcp is running?

ps -A | grep dhcp

**

"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)" 06-20-2011 02:20 PM

Problems with Edubuntu thin client setup in school...

Hi Leena

On 20/06/11 07:04 AM, Leena wrote:
> Server already have Windows 2003 , Red Hat
> and while installing Edubuntu, (had to use manual partitioning as earier
> EDubuntu 10.04 was there) it got stuck at step where it kept saying "removing
> conflicting files ...." and was at that for 40-45 mins. I had to reboot and
> installed 10.04 then.
> Does Ebubuntu 11.04 takes this long for installation and partitioning? Did I
> miss anything?

An Edubuntu installation does take quite a bit longer than a usual
Ubuntu installation, but 40-45 minutes just on that step is indeed way
too long.

I haven't come across that yet, could you perhaps share what you chose
at the manual partitioning step? I doubt it was anything that you missed
so I'd like to try to reproduce the problem so that we could look in to it.

If that can't be made to work it might be best to try the Ubuntu
alternate cd for installation (it uses another installer) and then
install the education bundles separately.

If you could send the files in /var/log/installer and the
/var/log/syslog file on that machine when it takes so long, that could
also be incredibly useful in debugging the problem.

It will probably be best to attach those files to a bug report on
http://bugs.launchpad.net. If you need help with that please shout,
there's some bug filing documentation on
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs as well.

-Jonathan

Leena 06-20-2011 04:08 PM

Problems with Edubuntu thin client setup in school...

Thanks Jonathan,

Since this is at school server...next time I visit the school lab, I
will copy those files and attach here as well as to the link you
mentioned......

When I chose Manual installation(In Edubuntu 11.04 the option was
'something else'), I new my earlier Edubuntu installation was on
sda7 and 8 so I* deleted those partitions and added, swap(twice the
memory size) and '/' root to the tables. Pretty routine stuff for
partitioning that's all.

I will try and install Edubuntu 11.04 again and see if the problem
persists......

Thanks,

Leena

On Monday 20 June 2011 07:50 PM, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)