-   Ubuntu Education (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-education/)
-   -   Help with Edubuntu Live CD customization (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-education/538390-help-edubuntu-live-cd-customization.html)

Garrett 06-11-2011 03:58 PM

Help with Edubuntu Live CD customization

Hi,
** I am working in the Peace Corps in the Dominican Republic.
I have a couple computer labs I am managing. They are all old WinXP machines with mostly pirated software. They know nothing about Linux here.

* For several reasons, including undependable electricity that shuts off without warning (something that Unix hates), and a lack of Internet access in two of the labs, I wanted to roll out a bunch of Edubuntu Live CDs. You can't beat the learnings games.

** The thing is, I would need to customize my Live CDs in a couple ways, and I'm not certain how to do that.
For instance: 1) I would need it to default to Spanish, 2) I would need to turn off the install option at boot up, and 3) I want to install an offline encyclopedia.

* I've looked around and Evopedia appears to be a decent option for the offline Wikipedia, because it is native to Ubuntu and has a Spanish language option (although if someone has a better idea, I'm all ears). The trick is putting it onto a Live CD. I know the .deb packages are in the "Pool" directory, but I'm guessing there is more to it than that.

* I've been playing with ISO Master, which is great for adding and removing files, but no option for editing them. Am I going to have to resort to command line utilities?

*I know a few things about Linux, but I'm no guru. I know that a lot of this I'm just going to have to figure out for myself. If anyone has any pointers I would certainly appreciate it.

--
Garrett Johnson

Jesse Griffin 06-16-2011 05:16 PM

Help with Edubuntu Live CD customization

Garrett,
I think you will actually be better off installing Ubuntu/Edubuntu to the computers. *Running on a Live CD will give you poor performance. *I imagine that the power outages won't be as big of a deal as you suspect.

In addition, if you have the OS installed, then installing packages and or updating becomes trivial.

Those are just my two cents. *If you really want to go with the LiveCD option, I wouldn't use Ubuntu. *I would try something like Puppy Linux that is designed to be run off of a Live CD or USB stick.

Thanks,Jesse

"Louis B." 06-17-2011 06:08 AM

Help with Edubuntu Live CD customization

Also ubuntu uses the ext4 file system. This file system has been designed to not to corrupt if the power is cut off during a disk write.

It uses a journaling file system see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journaling_file_system

Louis