-   Ubuntu Education (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-education/)
-   -   teaching in NYC DOE --urge for edubuntu (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-education/533898-teaching-nyc-doe-urge-edubuntu.html)

Adam Schwartz 06-02-2011 12:40 AM

teaching in NYC DOE --urge for edubuntu

howdy ubunteurs

I'm an educator (hope I got the right list!)
I'm a teacher in the NYC dept of education, where I have ended up as the go to tech guy as well.

I use ubuntu 10.4 at home on a dell desktop, and just got a 10.4 acer aspire one netbook--just installed edubuntu suite on that. anyway, I am writing because., I want to start using it at s

My school is lucky enought to have been chosen at an IZONE school for next year, and we are actually hiring a tech guy!
*

My school is lucky enough to have been chosen at an IZONE school for next year, and we are actually hiring a tech guy!

*

chool.

My school is lucky enought to have been chosen at an IZONE school for next year, and we are actually hiring a tech guy!

but I hate the idea of having 100's of WinX or even Macs running in our classrooms--just more targets for malware and game software. that's why I want to go for edubuntu

*
Any NYCDOE teachers out there? anyone have any advice for adopting edubuntu for a serverless school environment--(using google docs and online storage systems)

thanks!
--
Adam J Schwartz

The Academy of Urban Planning

matthew x curinga 06-02-2011 01:08 AM

teaching in NYC DOE --urge for edubuntu

Hi Adam,

Congratulations to you and your school on being selected for IZONE. I'm
not a teacher in the NYC DOE, but I'm a faculty member in the School of
Ed at Adelphi University in Manhattan and Garden City. I'm starting a
new program in educational technology and I want it to have a strong
free software focus.

I'm also eager to hear from other people using Ubuntu in NYC schools and
what your stories are. As for your project, I'd be happy to connect to
see if I can help you make the case or plan for implementing and
supporting Linux on the new machines.

Matt
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Matthew X. Curinga
Assistant Professor, RSA School of Education
Adelphi University - New York
http://bit.ly/au-mxc

I'm an educator (hope I got the right list!)
I'm a teacher in the NYC dept of education, where I have ended up as the
go to tech guy as well.

I use ubuntu 10.4 at home on a dell desktop, and just got a 10.4 acer
aspire one netbook--just installed edubuntu suite on that. anyway, I am
writing because., I want to start using it at school.

My school is lucky enough to have been chosen at an IZONE
<http://schools.nyc.gov/community/innovation/izone/default.htm> school