-   Ubuntu Education (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-education/)
-   -   Hello & how should I set this up? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-education/532810-hello-how-should-i-set-up.html)

Kym Z 05-31-2011 02:55 AM

Hello & how should I set this up?

Hello all,

I've just joined this group, I am the bursar at a tiny Christian primary
school in country South Australia.
We have made the move to using Edubuntu on the student computers over
the last 2 years. We are running Ubuntu server 9.10 on a file server
and Edubuntu 10.04LTS on the student machines. Also Clear OS for Proxy
Server...
Unfortunately, at the moment, the student computers are set to start
automatically with a local, generic account. I would rather if the
students had to "log-in" to their own account, with details stored on
the server, in order to start the computer (so that all their files and
settings will be available on any computer). However, I don't know how
to set this up - is there any documentation available about how to do
this? I don't think I want to set them up as LTSP since the server
probably can't handle that, and some of the computers can also boot XP
as an option...

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks,
Kym.

Jesse Griffin 06-03-2011 07:17 PM

Hello & how should I set this up?

Hello Kym,
You have a few options, but I would recommend that you take a look at using OpenLDAP (http://www.openldap.org/) in conjunction with NFS, which I assume you are already using on your fileserver. *You can set it up so that a student logs in and their home directory is automatically mounted via NFS to the fileserver. *That way there are no files stored on the local machines and every student has their own account through the ldap directory.

I'll say that this is not extremely simple to do, but the extra work up front will make it a solid long term solution.

Jesse
tummy.com Linux Consulting

[...]

06-03-2011 08:10 PM

Hello & how should I set this up?

I completely agree with Jesse.

In addition, they've done some great work with the Ubuntu 11.04 Server to make openLDAP installation and configuration during installation MUCH easier than it was when I installed it last under 9.04 or something like that.

Matt Burkhardt

mlb@imparisystems.com

http://www.imparisystems.com