-   Ubuntu Education (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-education/)
-   -   Zoho writer / Ajax apps on edubuntu thin-client (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-education/41165-zoho-writer-ajax-apps-edubuntu-thin-client.html)

"Jim Hutchinson" 01-18-2008 09:12 PM

Zoho writer / Ajax apps on edubuntu thin-client

We have a thin-client lab running Feisty and have been playing with
the Zoho writer online word processor (http://www.zoho.com/). The
application runs very slow in the lab. Students type and there is a
noticeable and rather long delay before it shows up on the screen. I
know Java apps tend not to run well on thin-clients. Does anyone have
experience with Ajax or any suggestions? I watched "top" on the sever
while students were working (we only had about 15 of the 28 computers
in use) to see if any app was using a lot of CPU but nothing stood
out. Firfox-bin as usual was in the 7-15% CPU range for some users but
overall load on the four cores was only in the 25-35% range.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.
-jim