Old 08-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Nathan Shaffer

Default Fiber Channel HBA compatibility?

We're running 2 HP LTSP servers that connect to a master server for all files, login, etc in a K-8 environment. Currently, we're utilizing Ubuntu 8.10 LTSP but have a test server up for 10.04 LTSP. Does anyone know of compatibility issues / problems with drivers in each of these distros with the possibility of installing a PCI-X fiber channel HBA in the LTSP servers to connect to the master server? Is there an HBA card that is more compatible with Ubuntu drivers than others?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan Shaffer
nathan@grandvache.com

Old 08-15-2010, 12:39 AM
"Rippl, Steve"

I'm afraid I don't have any input on hardware compatibility, but I do have a question or two of you! *
We recently setup up an iSCSI connection (over regular ethernet, not fiber channel) and we were getting great performance between a single target and initiator (iSCSI talk for server/client). *However, once we started running GFS on the target (central server), which is supposed to be a file system capable of handling the concurrent connection, performance plummeted to the point of making it unusable (we were trying to run a centralized /home for clustered LTSP servers).

What file system do you run on the central target and how is the performance?
Thanks for any input,Steve

--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director