Old 04-26-2010, 03:41 AM
David Groos

Default Mounting a shared folder in everyone's home directory

Hi All,

I want to put a bunch of images in a shared folder that would automatically mount on all students' desktops.* I've already made a shared folder.* When I google I see lots of info on SAMBA, NSF as well as mounting drives and partitions.* I don't want all that--just a simple folder auto-mounted on all users desktops with read only access.* Any help?

Thanks,
David

Old 04-26-2010, 03:49 AM
Christopher Chan

On Monday, April 26, 2010 11:41 AM, David Groos wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to put a bunch of images in a shared folder that would
> automatically mount on all students' desktops. I've already made a
> shared folder. When I google I see lots of info on SAMBA, NSF as well
> as mounting drives and partitions. I don't want all that--just a simple
> folder auto-mounted on all users desktops with read only access. Any help?

'Global' mount in fstab and put a symlink on their Desktop (create one
time for all current users, fix up /etc/skel for new ones)

That would be the way I would do it.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:54 AM
David Groos

Thanks Christopher.* With these specific terms I'll quickly find details!

David

Old 04-26-2010, 04:24 AM

> I don't want all that--just a simple folder auto-mounted on
> all users desktops with read only access. Any help?

Symbolic link for the shared directory?

http://wiki.debian.org/SymLink
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html (10.5 Symbolic links)

But NFS is really simple and light service for that purpose, why not?

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:24 AM

Old 04-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Simón Ruiz

Oops, didn't send it to the list last time...

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:41 PM, David Groos <djgroos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to put a bunch of images in a shared folder that would automatically
> mount on all students' desktops.* I've already made a shared folder.* When I
> google I see lots of info on SAMBA, NSF as well as mounting drives and
> partitions.* I don't want all that--just a simple folder auto-mounted on all
> users desktops with read only access.* Any help?
>
> Thanks,
> David

If it's a *remote* shared folder, you could simply mount it in
/media/SharedFolder using /etc/fstab and it *would* just show up for
every user.

But, if you don't want Samba or NFS, then...you don't want to mount a
network drive? This folder exists on the local computer?

It might help us help you if you explain the situation and the problem
you are trying to solve a little more in depth. I'm currently a bit
confused as to what you're trying to mount, where, and how.

You're simply trying to make sure every user than logs into this
computer sees the same folder on their desktop? The user home folders
are located on the local main hard drive and the shared folder as
well?

What's your setup? How many users on how many machines? How are they
authenticated? Are you mounting *anything* over the network right now?

Simón

Old 04-26-2010, 08:56 PM
David Groos

Hi Simon and All,

Thanks for your directions -- I spent a couple (few) hours on this this morning under a deadline and finally got it with some back-and-forth with alkisig on #edubuntu--Where would I be without it?

My goal was to have a folder on my desktop where I could drop 30 or so small images, and then when students logged in they would see this same folder, could browse it and find the images they needed and drag them to their own desktop.* This was the functionality I was looking for.* Here is the solution I ended up doing

1.* Made a folder on my desktop, DogTraits
2.* Right clicked on it, selected Sharing Options, selected, 'share this folder' and gave it the name, Dog, then clicked, 'create share'.
3.* Then I used this command which didn't actually make any changes but showed what would happen:* "for f in /home/*/Desktop; do echo sudo ln -s
/home/dgross/Desktop/DogTraits $f/Dogs; done"
4.* And since it worked, I removed the "echo" from the command, re-ran it and a symlink to the DogTraits folder was created on everyone's Desktop.
5.* On caveat--sometimes the 'Dogs' folder appeared under an exisiting folder so a student had to move aside one of the folders on their desktop to find this symlink.

I'd like to make a wiki page on this process on Edubuntu's wiki--anyone give me a link to a new page or a good name for a page?* Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions,

David

Old 04-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Simón Ruiz

Whoops; I'm just seriously used to "reply" replying to the list. :-)

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 4:56 PM, David Groos <djgroos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Simon and All,
>
> Thanks for your directions -- I spent a couple (few) hours on this this
> morning under a deadline and finally got it with some back-and-forth with
> alkisig on #edubuntu--Where would I be without it?
>
> My goal was to have a folder on my desktop where I could drop 30 or so small
> images, and then when students logged in they would see this same folder,
> could browse it and find the images they needed and drag them to their own
> desktop.* This was the functionality I was looking for.* Here is the
> solution I ended up doing
> 1.* Made a folder on my desktop, DogTraits
> 2.* Right clicked on it, selected Sharing Options, selected, 'share this
> folder' and gave it the name, Dog, then clicked, 'create share'.
> 3.* Then I used this command which didn't actually make any changes but
> showed what would happen:* "for f in /home/*/Desktop; do echo sudo ln -s
> /home/dgross/Desktop/DogTraits $f/Dogs; done"
> 4.* And since it worked, I removed the "echo" from the command, re-ran it
> and a symlink to the DogTraits folder was created on everyone's Desktop.
> 5.* On caveat--sometimes the 'Dogs' folder appeared under an exisiting
> folder so a student had to move aside one of the folders on their desktop to
> find this symlink.
>
> I'd like to make a wiki page on this process on Edubuntu's wiki--anyone give
> me a link to a new page or a good name for a page?* Thanks again for
> everyone's help and suggestions,
>
> David

David,

I'm beginning to believe you're using LTSP?

What you are doing in step 2 is only necessary if you want to share it
over the network using Samba/CIFS (a.k.a. "Windows" Networking). This
creates a share so that a Windows computer browsing over to
"YourComputerDog" will see the contents of that folder. The
symlinks are actually manipulating the filesystem rather than actively
"sharing" anything in the sense of that dialog box.

On the other hand, it's a lot of work to manage Symlinks, especially
if your list of users changes over time (e.g., if you ever need to add
or drop students, you'll need to remember to make sure this symlink is
there).

Also, if you ever want to do this same sort of thing with different folders,
It'd be a pain to write your script and manually do that every time...

Here's my idea/suggestion, leaving in step 2, forgetting about
Symlinks, and moving forward from there (I'm also checking the "Guest
access" checkbox when I create the share on my Desktop.):

3. "sudo mkdir /media/Dogs" - Create a folder to use as a mountpoint
in the /media directory
4. "sudo mount -t cifs -o guest //localhost/Dogs /media/shared" -
Mounts the Samba share (using your loopback device; this won't slow
down networking at all) to the folder "/media/Dogs"
* When an external filesystem (i.e. not just mount --binding a
folder) is mounted in /media it shows up in your "Places" list and, if
you haven't changed the default settings, Gnome will place an icon for
it on the Desktop for everyone who logs in while it's mounted; if you
ever want to get rid of the icon for everyone, just unmount it.
5. In order to set it to mount this share on boot, edit /etc/fstab
("sudo gedit /etc/fstab") and add a line for
"//localhost/Dogs /media/Dogs cifs guest 0 0"

The same caveat about the icon maybe showing up behind an already
existing icon applies.

Simón

Old 04-27-2010, 08:39 PM
David Groos

Hi Simon,

I'm beginning to believe you're using LTSP?
Yes.

What you are doing in step 2 is only necessary if you want to share it

over the network using Samba/CIFS (a.k.a. "Windows" Networking). This

creates a share so that a Windows computer browsing over to

"YourComputerDog" will see the contents of that folder. The

symlinks are actually manipulating the filesystem rather than actively

"sharing" anything in the sense of that dialog box.
Right, guess I didn't have to really share it--just adjust its privileges.

On the other hand, it's a lot of work to manage Symlinks, especially

if your list of users changes over time (e.g., if you ever need to add

or drop students, you'll need to remember to make sure this symlink is

there).
Again right, it was a quick fix that worked excellently, that said, I still need a longer term solution.

Also, if you ever want to do this same sort of thing with different folders,

It'd be a pain to write your script and manually do that every time...

Here's my idea/suggestion, leaving in step 2, forgetting about

Symlinks, and moving forward from there (I'm also checking the "Guest

access" checkbox when I create the share on my Desktop.):
I don't understand why you are checking the "Guest access" checkbox when you create the share on your desk because as I understand it in the next step you are creating the folder to be shared.

3. "sudo mkdir /media/Dogs" - Create a folder to use as a mountpoint

in the /media directory
Did this and it worked fine.

4. "sudo mount -t cifs -o guest //localhost/Dogs /media/shared" -

Mounts the Samba share (using your loopback device; this won't slow

down networking at all) to the folder "/media/Dogs"
Did this and got the following output: http://pastebin.com/JPf22tCi so looks like it didn't work.* Any ideas?* I've got no immediate deadline but need to solve this.* Also, I'd really like to set up an edubuntu wiki page about 'file sharing schemes for teachers' or something.* Any help on naming/locating that page would be helpful.

Thanks
David