Old 03-20-2010, 06:40 AM
"Nazim Qureshi | Anand Niketan"

Default Myself

Dear All,

My name is Nazim Qureshi, as my signature suggests I am Head-Information Technology for Anand Niketan Group of Schools. Anand Niketan Group of Schools has a network of around 7 schools in the state of Gujarat India.

I am new user to Ubuntu and I am really fascinated and excited about using educational add on to my Ubuntu 9.10 but because I have been a windows user all time I am facing too many installation and deployment problems so I need your help

Nazim Qureshi

H.O.D - Information Technology

Anand Niketan Group of Schools

+91 9737047700

“Technology makes it possible for people to gain control over everything, except over technology”

Old 03-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Charles Profitt

Nazim:

Great to meet you.

I am part of a project that will hopefully make transitions like yours
much easier. We are going to be developing OpenCourseware based on
Moodle courses. The courses will range from how to use Ubuntu and other
FOSS applications to courses on how to deploy and maintain Ubuntu in a
K-12 EDU setting.

That project has an LP page -
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntueducators

I have also formed a Ning community for Ubuntu Educators -
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntueducators

The Ning community is both to help support the Moodle project and a
place for fellow educators using Ubuntu to discuss issues affecting their efforts.

Charles Profitt

Old 03-20-2010, 02:00 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Nazim

On 20/03/2010 09:40, Nazim Qureshi | Anand Niketan wrote:
> My name is Nazim Qureshi, as my signature suggests I am Head-Information
> Technology for Anand Niketan Group of Schools. Anand Niketan Group of
> Schools has a network of around 7 schools in the state of Gujarat India.
>
> I am new user to Ubuntu and I am really fascinated and excited about
> using educational add on to my Ubuntu 9.10 but because I have been a
> windows user all time I am facing too many installation and deployment
> problems so I need your help.

Feel free to post information about your problems. I'm sure that there
are many people on this list (and on the edubuntu-users list) that would
be able to solve at least some of the problems you have.

We specifically need more input from people who actively work with
schools. Welcome and I hope that you find and share lots of useful
information!

-Jonathan

Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 AM
"Nazim Qureshi | Anand Niketan"

Hi Jonathan,
*
Thank you for replying back, now i have a setup of odd 80 computers all over the school including 2 computer labs, i have downloaded the iso file of ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, this installation was successful accept i am not able to get drivers for my wireless card

and the bigger problem is the system is not getting updated to edubuntu add on i downloaded the dvd iso file, when i run it it keep saying edubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala dvd required in the rom where in the dvd is already there

*
PLS HELP!!!
*

Old 03-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Matt Burkhardt

To start out - can you let us know the make and model of your wireless cards?*

Also, can you let us know if the machines can be wired to the Internet?* If they can, you can use the Synaptic Package Installer to get the Edubuntu packages if you already have Ubuntu installed on the machines.* You would select "Applications | Ubuntu Software Center" and select Education, then Educational Desktop for Ubuntu.* Let us know if you're trying to setup a server.

Good luck and keep trying - it's worth it.

[...]

Impari Systems, Inc.

mlb@imparisystems.com

http://www.imparisystems.com

http://www.linkedin.com/in/mlburkhardt

502 Fairview Avenue

Frederick, MD* 21701

work (301) 682-7901

cell** (301) 802-3235

Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Kari Matthews

http://groups.google.com/group/linuxusersgroup
As far as technical troubleshooting goes, this is an excellent group, and might be an added resource.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:43 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Charles

On 20/03/2010 16:14, Charles Profitt wrote:
> I am part of a project that will hopefully make transitions like yours
> much easier. We are going to be developing OpenCourseware based on
> Moodle courses. The courses will range from how to use Ubuntu and other
> FOSS applications to courses on how to deploy and maintain Ubuntu in a
> K-12 EDU setting.
>
> That project has an LP page -
> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntueducators

I'm about to look at Moodle packaging for Debian/Ubuntu and I was
wondering whether packaging this for Maverick would be a good idea or
even possible.

Does the project have any timelines and does any content exist currently?

-Jonathan

Old 05-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Belinda Lopez

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:

Hi Charles

I am part of a project that will hopefully make transitions like yours
much easier. We are going to be developing OpenCourseware based on
Moodle courses. The courses will range from how to use Ubuntu and other
FOSS applications to courses on how to deploy and maintain Ubuntu in a
K-12 EDU setting.

That project has an LP page -
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntueducators

I'm about to look at Moodle packaging for Debian/Ubuntu and I was
wondering whether packaging this for Maverick would be a good idea or
even possible.

That would be awesome!*

Does the project have any timelines and does any content exist currently?

I'm working on an Edubuntu course right now.* Was going to show the
link but the site seems down at the moment.* I hope to have the course
ready in the next week to be translated.*

I think this summer(well summer for those of us in the norther
hemisphere) will see a renewed effort to try to introduce educators to
Ubuntu and things open source for education.* Hopefully Cprofitt and I
can start working on scheduling some events for educators to help
introduce them to Ubuntu.

thanks,

Dinda

-Jonathan

Belinda Lopez
Training Project Manager
Canonical
belinda.lopez@canonical.com
dinda@ubuntu.com
IRC: dinda
Office: Galveston, Texas
--
Ubuntu - Linux for Human Beings
http://www.ubuntu.com http://www.canonical.com

Old 05-19-2010, 02:31 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Belinda

On 19/05/2010 16:13, Belinda Lopez wrote:
> I'm working on an Edubuntu course right now. Was going to show the link
> but the site seems down at the moment. I hope to have the course ready
> in the next week to be translated.

Wow that's fantastic! Even more reason to get it packaged

Please send a link when it's up, it would be really nice to see what is
already covered. A resource like that would be incredibly valueble
especially in areas where Ubuntu/Edubuntu training may not be available.

> I think this summer(well summer for those of us in the norther
> hemisphere) will see a renewed effort to try to introduce educators to
> Ubuntu and things open source for education. Hopefully Cprofitt and I
> can start working on scheduling some events for educators to help
> introduce them to Ubuntu.

We want to do something similar with the Edubuntu Advocacy group, the
plan is to create some kind of platform where educators (and
specifically non-technical people) can communicate with each other and
share educational tips and advice. We've found that non-technical users
typically really don't like using IRC and often, not mailing lists
either (although some of the more technical educators do prefer it).
This is probably an area where we should communicate a bit more, could
we use the Ubuntu Educators group on LP along with the list for that
purpose? The company I work for works with a lot of schools and it would
be great to get them involved.

-Jonathan