Old 05-19-2010, 02:38 PM
"Jeremy Fluhmann"

Default Myself

-----Original Message-----

From: "Belinda Lopez" <belinda.lopez@canonical.com>

Sent 5/19/2010 9:13:27 AM

To: "Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)" <jonathan@ubuntu.com>

Cc: ubuntu-education@lists.ubuntu.com

Subject: Re: Myself

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:

Hi Charles

On 20/03/2010 16:14, Charles Profitt wrote:

I am part of a project that will hopefully make transitions like yours

much easier. We are going to be developing OpenCourseware based on

Moodle courses. The courses will range from how to use Ubuntu and other

FOSS applications to courses on how to deploy and maintain Ubuntu in a

K-12 EDU setting.

That project has an LP page -

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntueducators

I'm about to look at Moodle packaging for Debian/Ubuntu and I was

wondering whether packaging this for Maverick would be a good idea or

even possible.

That would be awesome!*

Does the project have any timelines and does any content exist currently?

I'm working on an Edubuntu course right now.* Was going to show the
link but the site seems down at the moment.* I hope to have the course
ready in the next week to be translated.*

I think this summer(well summer for those of us in the norther
hemisphere) will see a renewed effort to try to introduce educators to
Ubuntu and things open source for education.* Hopefully Cprofitt and I
can start working on scheduling some events for educators to help
introduce them to Ubuntu.

Great to hear, Dinda!* Keep me in mind if I'm able to help out with any of the events.* At least in Texas, I could get the TCEA Strategic Open Source SIG involved to help out in some way.

Cheers,

Jeremy

--

Jeremy Fluhmann

Technology Director

Winters ISD

Futuristic - Analytical - Ideation - Relator -
Learner

http://twitter.com/jfluhmann

http://identi.ca/jfluhmann

http://jfluhmann.edublogs.org

http://sos.tcea.org

Old 05-19-2010, 02:56 PM

Jonathan:

I would love to see Moodle packaged if possible. It would certainly help people to install Moodle and make use of the courses.

We have a very small amount of content up currently -- http://learn.ufbt.net/

I have had two people offer to make courses this summer (I am hoping to attract a few more educators to do so as well) aimed at the K-12 market.

At present we do not have a timeline or project plan yet.

Charles

Old 05-19-2010, 03:00 PM

---- "Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)" <jonathan@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> We want to do something similar with the Edubuntu Advocacy group, the
> plan is to create some kind of platform where educators (and
> specifically non-technical people) can communicate with each other and
> share educational tips and advice. We've found that non-technical users
> typically really don't like using IRC and often, not mailing lists
> either (although some of the more technical educators do prefer it).
> This is probably an area where we should communicate a bit more, could
> we use the Ubuntu Educators group on LP along with the list for that
> purpose? The company I work for works with a lot of schools and it would
> be great to get them involved.
>
> -Jonathan

I just got notice last week that my request for a mailing list was approved. I also was thinking of asking for a special forum to be created. The current science and education seems to be more science than education, and the education that is in there appears to be mostly higher ed.

I also founded a Ning community aimed at the non-technical folks - http://ubuntuedu.ning.com/ (Educators have made a strong use of Ning - www.classroom20.com)

I am excited to see others looking to do this.

I am a systems administrator in a K-12 and would love to see open source become something that school district at least look at.

Charles

Old 05-19-2010, 03:01 PM

On 19/05/2010 16:56, indigo196@rochester.rr.com wrote:
> We have a very small amount of content up currently -- http://learn.ufbt.net/

I just get the default apache "It works" page

> I have had two people offer to make courses this summer (I am hoping to attract a few more educators to do so as well) aimed at the K-12 market.

Awesome. It certainly has lots of potential.

-Jonathan

Old 05-19-2010, 04:22 PM

I will talk to the server admin to see what has happened.

Thanks,