Old 02-18-2010, 12:50 PM
David Groos

Default Smart Board Software--anyone used it?

Hi All,

Has anyone used the smart board software for Ubuntu with thin clients?* How well does it work?* Run as localapp?

Thanks,
David

Old 02-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Veli-Matti Lintu

Hi,

We have been running the SMART Notebook version 10.0.117.0 on ltsp fat
clients. There have been some issues with the kernel drivers in standard
Hardy kernels, but newer kernels work better. Otherwise the experience
is pretty much the same as otherwise with the linux version of SMART
Notebook - text recognition is missing and flash objects are lacking,
but it is quite usable.

Installing the software in chroot requires some manual work as it is
installed using the graphical installer instead of a deb package. The
Essentials for Educators package is also quite big in size, so we
installed it on an nfs share instead of chroot to get the image size
more manageable.

Veli-Matti Lintu

Old 02-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Veli-Matti Lintu

Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 PM
David Hopkins

We have been running the SMART Notebook version 10.0.117.0 on ltsp fat

clients. There have been some issues with the kernel drivers in standard

Hardy kernels, but newer kernels work better. Otherwise the experience

is pretty much the same as otherwise with the linux version of SMART

Notebook - text recognition is missing and flash objects are lacking,

but it is quite usable.

Installing the software in chroot requires some manual work as it is

installed using the graphical installer instead of a deb package. The

Essentials for Educators package is also quite big in size, so we

installed it on an nfs share instead of chroot to get the image size

more manageable.

Are there any tricks/difficulties that need to be documented about
this?* We (NCS) are looking at Smartboards, probably for next year.

Sincerely,

Dave Hopkins
*

Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 PM
David Hopkins

Old 02-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Veli-Matti Lintu

to, 2010-02-18 kello 09:59 -0500, David Hopkins kirjoitti:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Veli-Matti Lintu
> <veli-matti.lintu@opinsys.fi> wrote:
> Installing the software in chroot requires some manual work as
> it is
> installed using the graphical installer instead of a deb
> package. The
> Essentials for Educators package is also quite big in size, so
> we
> installed it on an nfs share instead of chroot to get the
> image size
> more manageable.
>
> Are there any tricks/difficulties that need to be documented about
> this? We (NCS) are looking at Smartboards, probably for next year.

The process of doing the installation in chroot has meant so far
installing it first on a normal workstation, entering the serial number,
finding every single file the installer installed or modified and
placing them under the chroot in the same places.

We have been waiting for the linux version of the new 10.6.xx.xx version
to see if the process is any different now. I can try to document the
installation process once it arrives.

Veli-Matti Lintu

Old 02-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Veli-Matti Lintu

Old 02-18-2010, 02:44 PM
David Hopkins

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Veli-Matti Lintu <veli-matti.lintu@opinsys.fi> wrote:

to, 2010-02-18 kello 09:59 -0500, David Hopkins kirjoitti:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Veli-Matti Lintu

> <veli-matti.lintu@opinsys.fi> wrote:

> * * * * Installing the software in chroot requires some manual work as

> * * * * it is

> * * * * installed using the graphical installer instead of a deb

> * * * * package. The

> * * * * Essentials for Educators package is also quite big in size, so

> * * * * we

> * * * * installed it on an nfs share instead of chroot to get the

> * * * * image size

> * * * * more manageable.

> Are there any tricks/difficulties that need to be documented about

> this? *We (NCS) are looking at Smartboards, probably for next year.

The process of doing the installation in chroot has meant so far

installing it first on a normal workstation, entering the serial number,

finding every single file the installer installed or modified and

placing them under the chroot in the same places.

Thanks!* I'm guessing I could use my backup system (BackUPPC) to track
this as well. e.g. run an incremental backup, install the package and
run another incremental.* That would contain all the changed files
which I could export as a tar file to be untar'ed in the chroot.* Not sure if there are simpler ways.
*

Old 02-18-2010, 02:44 PM
David Hopkins