-   Ubuntu Education (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-education/)
-   -   Project on Human Organ Systems (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-education/314356-project-human-organ-systems.html)

David Groos 01-24-2010 05:13 PM

Project on Human Organ Systems

Wow!* My Gmail thread to the 'Anyone here?' question is currently at 21 replies.* Seems like there are quite a few interested people in this group as well as a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives.* Nice.

So, I'm personally interested in this space being a place where I can see what others are doing with Ubuntu (and distros and open source software in general) and education.* I'm also interested in this being a place where I can request and hopefully encounter help, not so much in a technology sense (I get lots of that at edubuntu-users listserv) but in using the technology in my classroom for educational purposes.* Actually, it would be interesting seeing a list of what people are interested in giving/getting from this space.

Seeing all the current interest in ubuntu-education I was motivated to do something I needed to do, write up a recent project I finished in my 9th grade Biology classroom.* I needed to write it up just as reflection and as a way to document, 'for the next time...'.* If you are interested, I put it on my blog at Human Organ Systems Web Pages: The Project.* I plan to use this format of doing a web project again, though I have not yet decided in which content I'll situate it.* Thus, if anyone is interested (and has some time, it's kind of detailed) I'd be VERY interested in your ideas to improve the project.* Not sure weather comments on the blog entry or comments here in the listserv email would be best.* What do you think?

Thanks,
David

PS I eventually plan to re-create this project description on http://lemill.net, a project produced by a coalition of European nations and I think one of the best places out there for educators wanting to create and share teaching resources within a community.

01-25-2010 12:52 AM

Project on Human Organ Systems

David
*
I have also introduced Ubuntu/Edubuntu*9.10*in school with LTSP setup. This is in proof of concept mode.
*
I am looking for definite syllabus/carriculum for each grade [ what to teach and how to teach using open source ]
*
We did try to find out lesson plans around the same but did not have any luck.
*
Any pointers on this topic will be really helpful.
*
- Ravi
*

[...]

Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly

prohibited and may be unlawful.

David Groos 01-25-2010 02:07 AM

Project on Human Organ Systems

Hi Ravi,

I'm currently thinking more about tools and methods though I wish I were to the point of curriculum.* The reason why I'm so focused on tools and methods still is that the tools one has really determine what can happen in the class that is, really determines the potential for learning.* I want to get the most powerful or better said most effective collaborative tools then really focus on creating curricula.*

A cool collaborative tool for classes of 7th graders through college aged students is FLE4.* I've got it installed on a wordpress server.* I really recommend you looking into it if you are interested in students learning by building knowledge as a class.* Progressive inquiry is a pedagogical model to implement knowledge building in class.* If you are interested, google FLE3 on which there is lots written.

What kind of access do students have to computers in the classrooms?* Again, the quality of the access affects the possibilities of the classroom.* Let's keep the discussion going!* What do others think about curriculum?* Of course, no matter how collaborative etc one's tools are, without good curriculum one has... not much :)* What are other people doing or what curriculum have you seen that takes advantage of being able to have several computers in a classroom?